Modifying full framebag - possible / terrible idea?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Al

Modifying full framebag - possible / terrible idea?

Post by Al »

I picked up a salsa full frame bag for my spearfish. Mines an old alloy gen1, the bag is for the newer carbon ones. I thought the fit was close enough to give it a go and the bag was a bit of a bargain…

The downtube on the newer frames protrudes further forward from the the bb shell before heading up towards the head tube than the older models. Consequently the bag is bunching a bit there. I’m concerned once packed it will rub the pedals.

How realistic is it to modify it to take in some of the fabric on the ‘bottom’ edge of the bag? Or is this a terrible idea that will just ruin a perfectly decent bag??
redefined_cycles

Re: Modifying full framebag - possible / terrible idea?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Hi Al. I think I had summat similar on my Wildcat. I really think you'll learn to live with it and tightening evertyhing at the toptube end should help a little...

One thing is for certain - don't statt the mods until you've given it a few good rides. I used to just fold it up inwards on itself if that makes sense or you could try and add some sort of velcro on the inside to pull it in sideways (of that makes sense).
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Can you fold the bag into itself to shorten it? This works fine with my half frame alpkit one [ not on a spearfish as no bag for mine]
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Maybe sew some 'darts' in the side to take up excess bag? Better than trying to cut and shut it and easy enough to undo.