Aggression from others spoil your ride?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Adventurer

Aggression from others spoil your ride?

Post by Adventurer »

I understand that there is an ever growing dislike of cyclists in society. I’m finding people are getting so angry of cyclists even if they don’t know why, that they are feeling empowered to express this dislike openly.

I was bikepacking this week and stopped for lunch in Dolgellau. They have a great cycle route into the town but sadly nowhere to securely park your bike. I found a place to secure my bike outside a pub which was near to where I wanted to eat. I noticed a man standing at the pub door watching me whilst I secured my bike. (Outside of pub, appeared to be public land) Once I finished at started to walk away he said you ‘can’t leave that there’. Told me to remove it and in no certain terms told me move it elesewhere. I asked he worked there ‘he was the owner’.

Getting moved on is not a problem, even if I’ve don’t something wrong. But the tone of his verbal aggression and openly dislike of me was palpable that at some point in me made me feel threatened that the situation could escalate. As I started to unlock my bike and move on I did tell him of his arrogance and how he was a completely unpleasant person. But this just made his unpleasantness even worse and his openly arrogant and aggressive personality come through. It really was a really unpleasant and threatening situation that spoilt the rest of my day.

Whilst I moved my bike, I watched a two young women with a child both with bike, attempt to do the same as me but on the other side of the pub, I went over and warned them to try somewhere else due to the aggressive pub owner. They thanked me

When I left my cafe there were two road cyclists looking for somewher to lock their bikes, they obviously saw the same place I had tried and moved there bikes over, so I warned them as well.

I think this must happen to the pub a lot, cyclists struggling to find anywhere to secure their bike, and outside this pub looks good to us cyclists. So I think the pub owner has got some sort angry dislike of cyclists and gets pi**ed off and comes out to have a go at us.

But instead of getting openly arrogant and aggressive, he could put in some Sheffield racks, put a cyclist welcome signs up and gets loads of cyclists spending money in his pub, a good business opportunity. But I suppose having a ‘get off my land rant’ makes him feel better.

I now feel better after my rant as well. :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Aggression from others spoil your ride?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sadly, some people are dicks. I've just become accepting of it but do find a liberal application of sarcasm can make you feel better ... it may be the lowest form of wit but it's the highest form of intelligence :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Had it recently, old lady standing her ground and called me selfish, silly and immature (after saying riding this path was fun)

Excuse me?! Immature, have you been talking to my wife :lol: She wasn’t impressed with such wit

Rounded the corner and bumped into another person (here we go again) and instead had a lovely ten minute talk about life, weather and dogs :lol:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Sorry to hear that Adventurer. A few months ago I stopped at a place in Wales too... (I'll find the ride and place and attach here). As I was deciding what to buy in the cafe I asked the lady behind the counter about something being vege or not. Elderly chap with a red nose sat with a younger chap on the table behind me. Eventually couldn't help it and started being rude.

The way the young lady was looking at him for approval seemed he was obviously the owner and didn't like my sort (not sure if it was my beard or cyclist helmet or colour of the skin). I told him about his rudeness and politely told the lady I'll not be having anything afterall... but thanks.

Horrible pig (didn't call him that at the time and the cafe was at the back of beyond on a remote road).
redefined_cycles

Couldn't find the ride but recall the red nosed elderly flosser well... Might not have been Wales but somewhere remote and in need of business nonetheless. Chap seemed to be a farmer.

Back to your experience Adventurer... Sorry to hear it and thankfully these exps appear to be far and few (kind of) but I get what you're saying about how everyone thinks they can just abuse cyclists!

Mate of mine had a dad (who was obviously a bit of a flosser) who'd purposely nudge or drive close enough to cyclists to cause a wobble. They have a miserable and sad life and that's a fact!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Aye it's not easy dealing with aggression and I find it comes about for no good reason, so trying to reason back is a total waste of time. I always stand my ground - usually just stop and look at them for a couple of seconds before answering as this is a good way of being assertive without being aggressive. This often takes people aback who I suspect are bullies that are used to people backing off

As Stu says, it's 'cos they are dicks not because there is owt wrong with you.

Smile, get on your bike and give 'em the V's. Your doing something they will never understand.
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:51 pm Couldn't find the ride but recall the red nosed elderly flosser well... Might not have been Wales but somewhere remote and in need of business nonetheless. Chap seemed to be a farmer.

Back to your experience Adventurer... Sorry to hear it and thankfully these exps appear to be far and few (kind of) but I get what you're saying about how everyone thinks they can just abuse cyclists!

Mate of mine had a dad (who was obviously a bit of a flosser) who'd purposely nudge or drive close enough to cyclists to cause a wobble. They have a miserable and sad life and that's a fact!

I told the guy that even though I was not eating in his pub for lunch I had planned to eat in his pub in the evening (I wasn’t really :lol: ) and because of his aggressive and arrogant attitude towards a customer, I would be going elsewhere to eat now, so lost business.
He just said he didn’t care and didn’t want my custom anyway.

What really got to me is when he said “that parking my bike outside his pub, was like someone parking their car outside their house blocking their driveway’ and he said how would I like it. So I believe his aggressive behaviour was just because I was a cyclist and he hated cyclists.

Instead of a cyclist welcome sign maybe he should just be honest and put a ‘Cyclists can F*** Off” not welcome sign in his window
redefined_cycles

Sounds like a chap with bottom of the range IQ. Poor sod - miserable bugger...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Yeah, some people are dicks.

On a brighter note (and given it's cheery Friday :-bd ) I had zero problems with anyone on the BB300, in fact most were cheery and helpful. Drivers waited to pass, if I waved them through then I'd get a thumbs up. Most pleasant.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
slarge

Post by slarge »

Name and shame the pub Adventurer....
Dolgellau is busy with lots of cycling traffic and cyclists using Coed y Brenin etc. The owner needs recognising for being unpleasant.

As a mainly roady, I frequently get close passes or tooted (especially for using the road when there's a crap cycle path). This makes me always ready for a confrontation, which is worrying as I am definitely not big, hard or a fighter. It does prey on my mind though and can take the shine off a nice ride.

The whole anti cyclist thing says more about the hater than anything else. Luckily 99.5% of drivers/people are ok. It's the 0.5% who are unpleasant arrogant dicks.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

slarge wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:34 am Name and shame the pub Adventurer....
Yep. I go up there once a year or so. Be good to know where I can park my bike and deliberately annoy a Karen.

Meanwhile, down here in The Chalfonts, cycling is the new golf. Honestly, two wheels are welcome anywhere. I locked my bike to the leg of a homeless person in Gerrards Cross the other day. Chucked her a score and all was well *

But as far as someone telling you that you are not allowed to lock your bike to a bit of public infrastructure ... nah. Ignore it. Smile and wave. They can call the rozzers if they want. They won't.

Or tell them to do one. Dicks like that inevitably back down when challenged with an equally assertive response.

* That never happened.
I'm just going outside ...
Alexpalacefan

Post by Alexpalacefan »

C'mon, which pub?
I'm sure many of us will be visiting in the future, and we need to avoid it.

APF
ton

Post by ton »

i can honestly say that i have never met any aggression from anyone ever whilst out cycling. and that is a lot of years. :-bd
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Might be to do with the fact no one wants a fight with Andre the Giant :wink:
redefined_cycles

ton wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:03 am i can honestly say that i have never met any aggression from anyone ever whilst out cycling. and that is a lot of years. :-bd
No s**t sherlock... :lol: what Jon said above...
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Spookily enough one of the few times I've ever encountered unprovoked unpleasantness on a night out happened in a pub in Dolgellau.
A group of us were down from Scotland for a weekend's riding at Coed y Brenin and went out in the town for food and beers during the evening. We were happily chatting away in a busy pub when this random guy wandered over and started shouting at us in Welsh (which most of us didn't understand). One of our group happened to be a proud Welshman who has lived up here in Scotland for most of his adult life but is Welsh speaker. He jumped up and confronted this guy and a heated discussion ensued (that non of the rest of us could understand other than the odd sweary word). After this the aggressor skulked off with his tail between his legs. Mark (our friend) explained that the guy had been insulting us incomers in Welsh (assuming that we'd understand his tone but not what he was actually saying) so Mark had put him straight saying that he was a proud Welshman and was enjoying showcasing his beautiful country to his visiting friends and that the guy should be ashamed of himself for showing their country in a bad light. Needless to say it didn't spoil our night or weekend or impression of Wales or the Welsh. Dicks are dicks irrespective of their nationality.
Perhaps that guy has moved into pub ownership? :lol:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Strangely exactly the same thing happened to me in a pub in Dolgellau. Only difference is the incident happened 40+ years ago when I was a student in South Wales, I ran the outdoor activities society and we were on a hiking, climbing &drinking weekend around Cadair Idris. We walked into a pub and the buzz of conversation stopped then slowly restarted in welsh on the the subject of bloody students. Given the location of our college, over half our number were fluent Welsh speakers and the locals were pretty startled when we started answering back. Needless to say fisticuffs ensued.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I lived in N. Wales for nine years so had a few "incidents". Most notable was post the 1997 General Election.

A friend's father was the local Labour candidate but was standing against Plaid Cymru's Dafydd Wigley so didn't win. We were invited to the post election party. We turned up at the hotel in Caernarfon to be met by the sight of Dafydd Wigley! Both PC and Labour had booked the same hotel for their do :shock: Let's just say things were "tense", at least we were in different bars/rooms. A bit odd to hear Woody Guthrie's "This Land is my Land" being sung in Welsh.

As we were leaving one of the PC party had a go at our friend. She was local and fluent in Welsh, and had a temper - she had a right rant at him. Fortunately no fisticuffs though I'd have put my money on her. :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

The pub landlord didn't want our short during the Teddy Bear Bones one year at Penmaenpool, he might own the other pub you mention too.
Our group of ~8 families didn't eat there, would've been worth his while with all the hungry kids.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

"Fisticuffs" is such a great word :lol:
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Another Dolgellau incident, albeit many years ago. We were in a pub with some Welsh (and Welsh-speaking) friends. One of them went to bar and got a bit of grief whilst ordering. Apparently, although they were Welsh speakers, they were from the wrong side of the river (river Conwy that is). Parochialism at its worst!
Have had a few trips to Dolgellau since without incident.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Sorry to hear of these incidents here in north Wales :oops:

I've not had any incidents like these Dolgellau ones but unfortunately it doesn't surprise me. Yes some people are dicks but a small number of individuals in Welsh villages/towns are very nationalist/knobheads. Where I live on the north Wales coast, if you head south for just half a dozen miles, I've heard people say that they would be discriminated for being a 'coasty'!

It probably helps me having my Welsh dragon flag on the pannier bags...
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

,^^^^Nothing to apologise for anymore than I have because they were all males

All my incidents in North Wales( 92-98) were for being a student*....then again I have some Welsh so could tell them all I was Scottish and that I also hated the English 😜

* I had sympathy plenty of them were arseholes
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

Alexpalacefan wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:42 am C'mon, which pub?
I'm sure many of us will be visiting in the future, and we need to avoid it.

APF
Or on the next WRT the lonely hearts club could swing by and lock 15 bikes to his pole!! :lol:
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.