Sadly, It finally broke

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Adventurer

Sadly, It finally broke

Post by Adventurer »

Went camping at the Hafod Dywyll campsite two days ago whilst bikepacking. Raining and windy and it got worse dur8ng the night. Using a six moon designs Luna solo and at 3am in the morning with strong wind gusts and rain my Bearbones carbon post finally snapped after many years of use :cry:

Managed to splint it with two MSR groundhog stakes across the brake using some gaffs tape and zip ties. It managed the rest of the night but kept waking up with fear that it would happen again and had no plan B fix

It’s given me the motivation to finally get another tent. Thinking maybe getting a tarp tent stratospire 1 as a change. I want a reasonably light weight tent but want a tent to be able to withstand unexpected wind and rain when needed.

I’m glad I managed to do the emergency repair in the wind and rain at 3pm, but sadly it put a stop to another night on my journey and went back home early.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Sadly, It finally broke

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Pop it int' post and I'll mend it :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:27 pm Pop it int' post and I'll mend it :-bd
Thank you, however when I was riding back to my car, I was a bit in the dumps (after getting verbal aggression by a pub owner the day before) as well having a sleepless night, I put the poles in the bin at the first public bin I found. :o

I know I should not of chucked them but mood was down :cry:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Oh well, if there's a God, then I can only hope that one day they'll cross paths with Sweary Dave's tent*.

*also in a bin somewhere.
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

That's interesting that the pole snapped. I'd always thought the tent would rip first (also lunar solo with BB pole).

I've had the BB pole under my Trailstar in pretty high winds and it's survived (less worried about the Trailstar in wind too).

Also - that's a nice offer Stu. Good to see you stand by your stuff (not that I doubted it!)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Also - that's a nice offer Stu. Good to see you stand by your stuff (not that I doubted it!)
Yep, I'll always repair / replace or even alter FOC whenever I can.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:54 pm Oh well, if there's a God, then I can only hope that one day they'll cross paths with Sweary Dave's tent*.

*also in a bin somewhere.
Bintents
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer