What lights?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Zane

What lights?

Post by Zane »

Hi.

I’m looking to upgrade my lighting system ready for the Nov Bb200 from my budget Planet X torch type light.

Seems to be a world of options and prices vary a lot. Can anyone recommend some options for a bar mount and a helmet mount lights. Not after the cheaper eBay type, but also don’t want to spend a fortune.

Have seen the lifeline Pavo’s 2500 and 840, these seemed like a good balance?

Cheers

Zane.
whitestone

Re: What lights?

Post by whitestone »

I noticed the Lifeline Pavo lights the other day - they seem to be <ahem><cough> copies of various Exposure models. There's no indication of run times at the lower settings, you do need something that has at least one mode that will last 12hrs.

Exposure are the obvious go to but they are very expensive for a low use item.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you can run to it and maybe find a deal, then I'd always suggest something from Exposure.
May the bridges you burn light your way
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

https://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/mountain-bike-lights/

MTB batteries offerings are a good compromise between cost/performance, properly QC'd light units and chargers paired with UK made batteries.
faustus

Post by faustus »

I bought a 2nd hand Exposure Toro that's about 9 years old for a really good price. Apart from a slightly sticky switch, it's brilliant and overcomes some of the compromises of cheaper lights i've had (poor mounts, crap charging ports etc.). Battery is still very good too and build quality is clear to see. Those Pavo lights do look good and will do the job if the low mode is bright enough. The compromise will be the mount (exposure mount is the best bar none), and after sales support. None of those may matter much though if you're not using it much.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:38 am If you can run to it and maybe find a deal, then I'd always suggest something from Exposure.
Second this!
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

As mentioned exposure if you can afford it
MTB ones are good for the price. Mate uses one.
Joystick for your head . Pricey but it will last for decades and who wants to take risks with a light failing.

Lummicycle are also good but pricey. My battery has finally died ( gives just under 3 hours at about 14 years old and I ride a couple of times a week at night.

The cheap Chinese eBay ones are good lights with terrible batteries. Could get one of them and a MTB battery ???
Depends how much use you will get but expensive helmet light and cheap bar is what i would do to save money
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Exposure - great. Mode selection a tiny bit fiddly / not-intuitive but not all that hard and (IME) once set rarely changed. Great service with any issues.

Lumicycles - not used modern ones but if same as my old set will just keep going and going and going.

Hope - always liked, good service and great quality. Possibly a bit under-powered but unless you're with people involved in a lights-arms-race should be just fine.

MTBBatteries - not used his lights but have had batteries. Lovely bloke, incredibly helpful. If I were looking for cost/quality balance would choose his.

Anything cheap from China. Bit of a lottery. Some horror stories. Pays your money and takes your chances.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Something always worthy of consideration when making these choices is, resale value. :wink:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Exposure. If budget is a concern, you can usually find a Joystick (perhaps a NOS older model, they do more or less the same job) for around £100. I really don't think you need greater output than that unless riding very technical trails in the dark. I'd rather have the ease of use, indication of battery state/runtime, and confidence in it, plus the manufacturer support, than MOAR LUMENZ that may or may not break/suddenly run out.

As Stu says they hold their value too. I got a good deal on mine new, considerably less than some were asking for older used models.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Last weekends bb200 I used an old joystick (mk8) and a solar storm eBay special with a bigger battery.
We got Lucky with the weather clear sky with a decent moon. So I didn't use both lights at the same time.
Managed to get by fine unlike the year before.ended up using a backup headtorch to try and ride
Trying to ride bikes.
Boab

Post by Boab »

I used to run around with a single MTBBatteries Lumen 800, but have upgraded to twin Exposure units. While the Lumen 800 served me well for pootling around on the local bridleways and byways, it doesn't come close to my current Strada / Diablo setup. I can't remember the MTBBatteries chap's name off hand, but I've had nothing but excellent service from him; replacement batteries, repairs to the light cable, etc. Highly recommended if you can't afford the Exposure units.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
trob6

Post by trob6 »

I have just bought a Magic Shine bar light, the 5000 lumen one, light and spread is really good.
Comes with a back light too which runs off the same battery.
I ride in the woods through the winter and have used the cheapo Chinese ones for years but the batteries are crap, this light is much better, I also use a joystick on my helmet.
Magic shine one was £127.
What's the worst than can happen?
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Unfortunately as well you're at the "wrong end" of the season for many deals. Saying that I've not looked (I DO NOT NEED ANOTHER LIGHT) so there might be something.

For my 2p, Exposure if budget allows or MTB Batteries if not.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Uhm, you know what they say about something seeming too good to be true.

https://shiresfurniture.shop/product/ex ... paign=1905
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:51 pm Uhm, you know what they say about something seeming too good to be true.

https://shiresfurniture.shop/product/ex ... paign=1905
Their "About Us" makes an "interesting" read:
We began Support@duchiy.com to improve on Personalization in design industry. We join years-old bespoke assistance with the present innovation to make best quality custom and prepared General products open to everybody.

Support@duchiy.com . In an exceptionally limited capacity to focus time, the organization has set up itself as a main General products maker and merchant. It has become an all inclusive resource for most recent and most delightful General products sold on the web. It has gotten inseparable from top notch General products accessible at truly moderate costs.

Since its origin, it has been the undertaking of Support@duchiy.com to make accessible most recent and most lovely General products its regarded customers. The organization investigates every possibility in ensuring that every one of these Products are great and truly sturdy. . All showed on the site of the organization are created flawlessly in the wake of paying minutest of subtleties. All Men Products are set up by experts.

At Support@duchiy.com, we comprehend your need to appear to be exceptional and unique from others. This is the motivation behind why we make outwardly engaging products to improve your character before others. There are numerous organizations selling Men Best Products however we have figured out how to beat the opposition with our novel plans and examples. It is nothing unexpected then that most design cognizant people consider just us at whatever point they need wonderful and top notch Leather. You realize where to go to when you need to make a style articulation before your companions.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

heir "About Us" makes an "interesting" read:
Indeed, I did notice that after I posted :wink:
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Exposure, Deffo worth the money if you have it. Maxx-D on the bars Joystick on the lid
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

https://www.exposure-use.com/Brands/Exp ... tlet-Store
Good price on a race and a joystick which will do you fine. They have just released the '23 lights so there should be some good deals on this years around. I also have a maxx D which is a monster but the race is good enough and a lot lighter.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Useful to note that what's enough light for one person is supernova to another ;-)

Some folks can manage with a Joystick, personally I think a Diabolo is plenty. Bigger often also gives you more battery life (at lower settings certainly) but you can add piggyback batteries to achieve that rather than buying something with the ability to scorch retinas from several km.

HYOH

:cool:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Went out for a night ride earlier. Four riders, bar and helmet lights all exposure.

I’ve had a few lights now and still have a few different ones, but the exposure ones really are good. Excellent mounts too
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

In what seems like a fit of characteristic / uncharacteristic modesty Stu seems to have posted a review on something at the very "budget but perfectly functional" end of the light market:

https://www.bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/ ... F0mVzDCL0s

Can I just applaud him as well for the use of that most wonderful of all word combinations; "smooth" and "stiff". Masterful :-bd
Huwblut

Post by Huwblut »

Nothing but good stuff to say about MTB Batteries. Decent price, reliable, excellent quality batteries and Mark is super nice to deal with.

Used a Lumen 800 with a 2 cell battery and a short lead on my helmet and a Lumenator on the bars with a 4 cell strapped to the frame on this years BB200.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Can I just applaud him as well for the use of that most wonderful of all word combinations; "smooth" and "stiff". Masterful
You'll also note that I'd slipped 'helmet' into that very same sentence :wink:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:34 pm
Can I just applaud him as well for the use of that most wonderful of all word combinations; "smooth" and "stiff". Masterful
You'll also note that I'd slipped 'helmet' into that very same sentence :wink:
You are a GOD among men :o :o :o :o :o :o :-bd