Shell and BC.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Shell and BC.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've never had much time for British Cycling. I'll not go into the reasons here but I reckon I've probably even less time now they've announced Shell as their partner for the next 8 years. :roll:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Re: Shell and BC.

Post by Lazarus »

Disappointing and I have e-mailed them - like it will make any difference

CTC will get my money now

https://www.cyclinguk.org/

also got a boner on the front page
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Shell trying to 'green' themselves no doubt. Maybe instead they should plant 10 million sitka spruce and build mtb trails round them....
Add Ineos sponsoring BC's pro team and that's the whole of UK pro cycling being funded by the petrochemical industry :roll:
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

FFS :roll:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Get on the phone to Zip Firelighters Stu
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Get on the phone to Zip Firelighters Stu
:grin:
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

As a counterpoint, maybe if "green" companies put their hand in their pockets they wouldn't have to dance with the devil, HSBC dropping sponsorship left a massive gap in their budgets, or they should just make more redundancies.......

The more subtle issue is that the Shell deal isn't the top their partnership, that's still looking for a partner (money) and the Shell deal may reduce the number of companies even further who might step up
slarge

Post by slarge »

For me it depends what they do with the sponsorship (in both directions). If BC use it to plough money in then that's good, but if Shell use it to show they're not a bunch of polluting cnuts then that's bad.

The BC AGM is end November- might have to ask a question.....
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I reckon you can take Shell using it to show they're not a bunch of polluting cnuts as a nailed-on certainty.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

why else would Shell do it ?[ its called sports washing - see also middle eastern regimes and football team ownership
Shell now forced away from the arts will sports wash using cyclists - look how much we care as we invested 0.00000000001% of our global profits ever to cyclists - how green are we eh
Its just such a terrible , thought doubtlessly lucrative, look.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Brian Facer, CEO of British Cycling, said:
“We’re looking forward to working alongside Shell UK over the rest of this decade to widen access to the sport, support our elite riders and help our organisation and sport take important steps towards net zero – things we know our members are incredibly passionate about.
Help moving to net zero... appoint oil company as major sponsor... :-O
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Should we be surprised - look at the TdF circus. Hardly an ambassador for the green benefits (or any real everyday benefits) of cycling is it?
jameso

Post by jameso »

Some BC execs must have been really sold on Shell's PR + efforts in renewable energy - there are some, too little too late though.

If only there'd been the same reaction to Ineos. But they sponsor 'our' riders so there wasn't much of a grumble that I remember?

look at the TdF circus. Hardly an ambassador for the green benefits (or any real everyday benefits) of cycling is it?
No. I read the other day that the organisers of the Tour de France were saying they only produce one sixth to one seventh of the Co2 of the Olympics, like that's a good thing.

The Olympics happens 1x every 4 years. 10-11,000 athletes. 2 weeks. The Tokyo games had no overseas spectators and produced approx 2 million tonnes of CO2 (googled report so may be incorrectly quoted). The TdF happens every year and is ~300,000 tonnes? What I don't know is whether that 1/6th - 1/7th of the CO2 accounts for the frequency of the events ie is for 4x TdFs. If it doesn't the Tour puts out 1.2 million tonnes every 4 years Vs the Olympics 2 million? (seems high which is why I wondered about the frequency).

Either way, I didn't realise the Tour was such a polluter. The Giro and Vuelta may be proportionately similar. But no suprise that with all those cars, transfers, helicopters, team busses etc it's going to be up there with F1 for high-cost entertainment.
It would only improve the race if they went back to point-to-point stages and no transfers, no team car support and they could use electric motorbikes for footage, and drones for overhead shots.

Racing eh. It's a business with a high cost, like most.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Get your frame bag patch while he has some left -

https://www.spellingmistakescostlives.c ... on-patches

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

RIP

Post by RIP »

Anyone as old as Reg will remember this advert with its jaunty little jingle. Ah, the carefree joys of carbon emissions, environmental degradation and rights abuses :-bd

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1IdhOXh_g7s
Last edited by RIP on Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
postierich

Post by postierich »

Funny cyclists making themselves feel as though they are making a stand but how many commenting drive cars/vans?
jameso

Post by jameso »

Funny cyclists making themselves feel as though they are making a stand but how many commenting drive cars/vans?
You can be anti big oil and own a van or car, that's not a hypocritical position. If you drive to the shops 1km away in a new Range Rover it might be :grin:

Some people have no choice but to own a car, for some it bleeds them dry of spare £ so they can get to and from a basic job so they can heat their home and send even more £ back to those companies, and the reason our society is built around the damn things to this extent is because companies like Shell lobby politics and the media to the extent they do.They might make moves towards green alternatives now but they should have done that 25-30 years ago when they knew a lot of what most of us have realised in more recent years. They repressed that information, shouted down the science and kept on making billions. Make a stand, car owner or not, because those companies are not on our side.

John, I don't get that meme. It looks like it says C-UK turns into BC after taking oil money, it doesn't make sense - or am I being slow?
RIP

Post by RIP »

jameso wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:25 pm You can be anti big oil and own a van or car, that's not a hypocritical position. If you drive to the shops 1km away in a new Range Rover it might be :grin:
That's about the size of it. I'm naive enough to think it's a matter of degree. For example I have a sliding scale: I'll choose bike first, then legs, then train, then bus, then finally motor. As James says, it's the blind "I'll just jump in the SUV to the end of our road to get the newspaper" that gets my goat.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

For me it's not simply about 'green' or 'car v bike', it's about choosing to align yourself with a company who's values and practices are somewhat questionable and in many eyes, at odds with the values you (pretend) to uphold. I fully get why some folk would feel betrayed by that but maybe I'm lucky as I never trusted BC to begin with :wink:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

jameso wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:25 pm John, I don't get that meme. It looks like it says C-UK turns into BC after taking oil money, it doesn't make sense - or am I being slow?
Top part is CUK being nice and happy.
Bottom L is $Hell talking to (bottom R) BC.
jameso

Post by jameso »

^ it's bad comic strip structure :grin: :geek:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

jameso wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:43 pm it's bad comic strip structure
That's the real crime in all this.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Even made the news slot on BBC R2 this evening.

Disclosure: I worked at Shell during my placement year when at uni.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry