What powerbank

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

barney

What powerbank

Post by barney »

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a powerbank... usual moon on a stick, not too bulky/heavy, able to give a couple of charges and able to take the odd knock etc.

I'm tempted with the Alpkit ones but if other types are used by the boner masses.

Cheers 👍
Wait for me...
In Reverse

Re: What powerbank

Post by In Reverse »

I've always bought Anker for the past 5 years or so. Not the cheapest but solid. Had a couple of cheaper brands die on me mid-event in the past which isn't great. #-O
mikejd

Post by mikejd »

+1 for Anker
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Ravpower I think mine is 20k somethingorothers, its great and I've had no trouble with it but should of gone with a smaller one maybe a 10k or even 2x5k ones would surfice as its a bit on the bulky side but on the plus side it will charge pretty much everything carried ie phone, GPS, lights etc a few times over without being charged itself
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Usually Anker but the last couple have been the dinky Nitecore 10kmah bricks
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Not sure there's much difference in weight/size for a given capacity. I would just go for a reputable brand/supplier as I've had a cheap one fail in the past too, plus good to be able to pursue a warranty claim if it does.

I've got a 10k Belkin one and a smaller (5k?) no name one (which to be fair has lasted years). I intended to buy two 10k ones instead of a single 20k, but have never got round to it and probably won't unless I have a particularly long/remote trip coming up.

While we're on the topic, might be worth mentioning that I suspect neglect played a part in the death of my old one. I've got a reminder on my phone to use and recharge them once a month to try and prevent that. Often I've used them anyway so don't bother, but otherwise it's easy and worthwhile.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've got a Zendure one. Not the cheapest but I like it. Think mine's about 5k mAh. A quick look suggests they may no longer produce the same one but they do similar.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

I've got a 10K mAh Anker one, does me ok. Should give three complete phone charges which is plenty for me.
flyingpig

Post by flyingpig »

I have an Anker, I'll stick with them after they replaced my unit that got buggered during a river crossing on that really nasty BB200 before lockdown as a gesture of good will, was open with them what happened and asked if repair was possible?
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Also Anker.
Many various models and capacities
barney

Post by barney »

Cheers all, looks like Anker is the way to go. :-bd
Wait for me...
rivers

Post by rivers »

Also have a 20k Anker. Wife has a10k Anker.
Alexpalacefan

Post by Alexpalacefan »

Hi,
I've just been through this. It might be worth finding and understanding the fast charging protocol that your 'phone uses and then make sure that the power bank you choose can support that system.

For instance I have Samsung so I had to find a bank that would do Qualcom's Fast Charge 3.0.

Alex :-)
benp1

Post by benp1 »

My bikepacking powerbank is an Exposure Sixpack. Bought it so I don't need to take a separate powerbank. If it was a longer trip or I think I'm going to use the light a lot, then I'd bring something else. Usually a Nitecore F1 running a single 18650 cell, I then bring as many separate 18650s as I think I'll need