Cycling UK "threatening to take Govt to Court" over Cast2Coast Trail

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Cheeky Monkey

Cycling UK "threatening to take Govt to Court" over Cast2Coast Trail

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Interesting (IMO) stuff:
Coast to Coast: why Cycling UK is threatening legal action against the government

Taking the government to task on making cycling more accessible for more people is part of a day's work for Cycling UK, but potentially taking them to court is a big step. It's not something we as a charity take lightly, and we only consider it exceptional circumstances, as Cycling UK's off-road policy advisor, Kieran Foster explains.
https://www.cyclinguk.org/blog/coast-co ... M9wn_E5WwA
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Cycling UK "threatening to take Govt to Court" over Cast2Coast Trail

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I wish them luck and the over-riding cynic within reckons they'll need it. I firmly believe that giving greater access to cyclists at present would be viewed as a 'vote loser' by many in power.
May the bridges you burn light your way
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:45 am I wish them luck and the over-riding cynic within reckons they'll need it. I firmly believe that giving greater access to cyclists at present would be viewed as a 'vote loser' by many in power.
Ah, but then it will also give the Horsey types full access. No doubt an existential crisis in the making...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

As noted and reading the link they have a legal duty to consult us and the act says the routes are for walkers cyclists and horses

This govt has along tradition of losing these cases and it would seem difficult to see what their defence would be being incompetence.

Just renewed my cycling membership today ( annual not due to this) and wish them luck.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I can imagine it could be a hard sell to take a classic "walking" route and turn it into a multi-user one. No excuse for not engaging them though.

I too doubt it will change what is happening with the C2C but (hopefully, maybe) it will improve things for the "next" project.
ledburner

Re: Cycling UK "threatening to take Govt to Court" over Coast2Coast Trail

Post by ledburner »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:25 pm I can imagine it could be a hard sell to take a classic "walking" route and turn it into a multi-user one. No excuse for not engaging them though.

I too doubt it will change what is happening with the C2C but (hopefully, maybe) it will improve things for the "next" project.
The cynic in me think most gov't decisions are premade and consultation is a reconnaissance for forthcoming marketing process.
I think I've watched too much 'Yes Minister'... :roll:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
johnnystorm

Re: Cycling UK "threatening to take Govt to Court" over Coast2Coast Trail

Post by johnnystorm »

ledburner wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:03 pm The cynic in me think most gov't decisions are premade and consultation is a reconnaissance for forthcoming marketing process.
I think I've watched too much 'Yes Minister'... :roll:
Hanlon's razor is quite likely appropriate here.