Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Verena

Slugs!

Post by Verena »

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Slugs!

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I thought the other day that I hadn't seen many about.
May the bridges you burn light your way
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:35 am I thought the other day that I hadn't seen many about.
Millions of them in my garden this year. Far more than in previous years. Its only the past two weeks when the temps have dropped a bit that their numbers have reduced. My garden is very sheltered though, and gets a lot of dew, even during the heat wave.

I dont mind them TBH. I use very gentle methods to keep them off my vegies as Ive always considered them a part of the environment and food chain. People putting down poison to ward them off are vandals IMO.
I'm just going outside ...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I dont mind them TBH. I use very gentle methods to keep them off my vegies as Ive always considered them a part of the environment and food chain. People putting down poison to ward them off are vandals IMO.
Totally agree Tim. Firstly, think of the hedgehogs and secondly, there's no antidote for slug pellets ... so their use IMO is very irresponsible.
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

'mon the slugs!
Definitely noticed many less this year - previous years have seen my garden fairly busy with enormous rusty orange coloured ones. Makes sense really and I suspect they will just have been hiding out in damp sheltered places. Seen a fair few on the roads in the last few weeks mind.
Keith74

Post by Keith74 »

They must all be in my area this year then. :lol:

Veg patch has been decimated this year but atleast the hedgehogs will be getting a great feast.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100086163783548

Stay in the banks of Loch Fyne in Argyll.