Autumn HT550

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

methers27

Autumn HT550

Post by methers27 »

Morning all, just looking for some advice if possible. I have a week off next week and was considering heading up to do the ht550. I guess my first questions were whether this is advisable given the stalking season? Or am I likely to run into trouble? And secondly am I likely to have serious issues with the river crossings or are the levels still low up there?.
Secondly, I have a GPX route, but I know that I've read before about printable route OS maps which would be a handy back up, has anyone got a copy?
And finally, given the minor variations, any advice for which is the best of these to take for the nicest riding/best progress?
Any other hints/tips/words of warning happily received
Thanks
Richpips

Re: Autumn HT550

Post by Richpips »

From the website - "Riding the route cannot be recommended in winter or between August and October when the stag stalking season is at it's height."
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Stalking: it'll be fine. I've walked and ridden the Scottish hills and glens for 50 years. In all that time I've once been asked to do a minor re-route to avoid a stalking party. The HT sticks to known trails and the stalkers don't tend to stalk near them due to the risk of disturbance.

Rivers: mostly low at the moment. Obviously subject to change but that'll either be flash filling after a sudden downpour, whereupon some patience might be required, or they'll fill up longer term in account of sustained rainfall which you'll be having to manage in any case

Daylight: days will be shorter so you'll either be riding less or riding in the dark more.

Temperatures: cooler than May (though not by much) but we're expecting a little snow next week. This won't lie at "trail" level but that's not to say you wouldn't experience any.

Plants: after a good summer, bracken etc is just starting to turn. It'll be dense in places so the likes of the Postie's Path along Loch Maree could be a bad idea.
methers27

Post by methers27 »

Thank you, that's useful, sounds like the stalking should be ok and hopefully the rivers too.
Daylight and temperature I think I've accounted for with kit and lights, and accepting I might have some longer nights.
Interesting point in the bracken, which alternative would you recommend over postie's? The Tollie path?
Still hoping someone may have OS map printouts?
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Just finished 300 miles in the Highlands with good sections of the central section of the HT550.
No problem with stalking and river levels are low.
Fisherfield crossing water level was just above my knees.
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

which alternative would you recommend over postie's? The Tollie path?
That's the obvious/only alternative and was this year's official route - check your gpx goes that wsy - to Poolewe, which is good for resupply.

I've PM'd you