Bikepacking Collective - Worth it?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

woodsmith

Bikepacking Collective - Worth it?

Post by woodsmith »

I've mulled over joining the Bikepacking collective over on Bikepacking.com probably since about issue 2 of the journal came out. Of the various "rewards" available I'd only really make use of the 20% discount on RWGPS subscription. Any other members out there? Wish you'd joined sooner or considering leaving? Won any of the give aways?
fatbikephil

Re: Bikepacking Collective - Worth it?

Post by fatbikephil »

Been a member for a couple of years - I figured it was a worthy cause given all the routes they are developing. Except they are mainly in the states and I'll never make it over there at my current rate. Never won anything but their membership runs to thousands so the chances are pretty slim. Used the discount a couple of times but the latest crop are similar to the 'sign up to our newsletter' discounts the firms are already offering. The journal is OK but I'm getting a bit fed up of the tales mainly focusing on the authors journey to find themselves rather than the actual journey. "Never mind all that existential pish, tell us what the bloody trail was like" is something I often cry when reading it. So I keep thinking of leaving but then they are developing routes so I should stay. Oh I don't know, I'll see if I win the Otso fenrir (which I don't actually need...)
faustus

Post by faustus »

I joined this year to see what the journal was like, support the site a bit, and see if I win anything...you also get first dibs on new releases in their shop, which has been useful for some stickers but that's about all for me! Not sure if the discounts will come in useful for me yet. Only just had one copy of the journal through and what i've read has been good so far, but I can see it having too many self-discovery articles...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Like Phil I've been a member for a couple of years, possibly since the first journal came out. I'm sort of wavering about staying a member but holding off on a decision.

I think the journal is the successor to the online Bunyan Velo journal, I seem to remember something about it when it started. Americans do seem to be into their meta-physical ramblings when it comes to outdoor sports, their climbing mags/journals are similar.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

List of discounts here for anyone deciding
Attachments
0DE9E85E-9E1D-4419-96B0-16AE1FF550F4.jpeg
0DE9E85E-9E1D-4419-96B0-16AE1FF550F4.jpeg (139.38 KiB) Viewed 404 times
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Do those discounts work with all resellers or just direct from the manufacturers or maybe USA only?
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

whitestone wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:57 pm Do those discounts work with all resellers or just direct from the manufacturers or maybe USA only?
Afraid I don’t know, I would imagine it would be direct but can’t confirm. I’ll fire them a message

I notice 20% off the Dutch bikepacking shop which may tempt a few people if they’re buying something big (although I have admit I have no idea how brexit purchasing works…)

All in all, another top quality post from myself :lol:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Do you have to pay in dollars ?

Did not see any other option

I see that at about £70 for two mags - not exactly cheap
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:10 pm
whitestone wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:57 pm Do those discounts work with all resellers or just direct from the manufacturers or maybe USA only?
Afraid I don’t know, I would imagine it would be direct but can’t confirm. I’ll fire them a message

I notice 20% off the Dutch bikepacking shop which may tempt a few people if they’re buying something big (although I have admit I have no idea how brexit purchasing works…)

Logged in and checked the benefits page, looks like it's from the manufacturers' sites so once you factor in postage and duty, etc. it might not be worth it.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

whitestone wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:20 pm
voodoo_simon wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:10 pm

Logged in and checked the benefits page, looks like it's from the manufacturers' sites so once you factor in postage and duty, etc. it might not be worth it.
Aye - they do feature some euro shops but they forget we aren't in there anymore. Wizard works one is a good one and why my straggler is sporting a very nice WW frame bag.