Patagonia - Earth is now our only shareholder.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Patagonia - Earth is now our only shareholder.

Post by Boab »

Interesting news from Patagonia this morning, assuming most will have seen it on the main news websites...
If we have any hope of a thriving planet—much less a business—it is going to take all of us doing what we can with the resources we have. This is what we can do.
I'd pretty much settled on saving up for an Albion jacket, over a Patagonia one. Might have to rethink that now...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
fatbikephil

Re: Patagonia - Earth is now our only shareholder.

Post by fatbikephil »

Whilst is good what they are doing, unfortunately it will achieve very little other than making people who buy their stuff feel better (sorry Boab this wasn't a dig at you, I make similar buying choices - its just that I'm feeling very cynical about this kind of thing just now) As long as big corporations can buy their way to an ersatz carbon neutrality then global emissions will not change by much and what is going to happen due to climate change, will happen.

Bring on cheery Friday!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Bring on cheery Friday!
I tend to believe that there is a very real (yet seemingly missed in most peoples minds) difference between 'saving the planet' and 'saving ourselves'. Should we genuinely wish to save the planet, then the sooner our species is eradicated from it, the better. Trying to do both maybe asking too much*

* it's not asking too much really, just that it'll never happen due to human nature.

** I'm completely discounting billionaires hoping to colonise space because none of them could give a toss about the planet but would be happy to save themselves and 3 of their friends.
May the bridges you burn light your way
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

Planet doesn’t need saving, it will do just fine once we’re not around. Don’t look up …
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

tobasco wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:16 pm Planet doesn’t need saving, it will do just fine once we’re not around. Don’t look up …
Sadly not true. We've dumped enough dioxins, heavy metals etc into environment that will still be screwing up life on this planet when every trace of our having been here has gone.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Barring a miracle, (electrical generation using nuclear fusion maybe?) I think we are probably screwed. But it's worth pointing out that Yvon Chouinard is one of the good guys, he's been buying areas of Patagonia and making them into protected parks for years. He also lets his employees go surfing and climbing and make their time up later. That's the sort of boss you want.
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

Rob S wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:22 pm Barring a miracle, (electrical generation using nuclear fusion maybe?) I think we are probably screwed. But it's worth pointing out that Yvon Chouinard is one of the good guys, he's been buying areas of Patagonia and making them into protected parks for years. He also lets his employees go surfing and climbing and make their time up later. That's the sort of boss you want.
Was he not also the guy who was taking prostitutes off of the street and teaching them to sew etc. so they could work in his factory rather than on the streets or was that Paramo?
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
Boab

Post by Boab »

fatbikephil wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:58 pm Whilst is good what they are doing, unfortunately it will achieve very little other than making people who buy their stuff feel better (sorry Boab this wasn't a dig at you, I make similar buying choices - its just that I'm feeling very cynical about this kind of thing just now) As long as big corporations can buy their way to an ersatz carbon neutrality then global emissions will not change by much and what is going to happen due to climate change, will happen.
I know what you mean Phil, but hopefully, 🤞, this one is actually different. We can but hope... 🤷
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.