Riding on Monday?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Riding on Monday?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've just read that BC are advising people not to ride their bikes on Monday but if they do, to do it outside the hours of the Queen's funeral. Can't help thinking she won't know if you have a lap of the woods and probably wouldn't have minded overly.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearlegged

Re: Riding on Monday?

Post by Bearlegged »

I'd guess it's just BC guarding against any possible criticism of themselves.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Everyone cracked on as normal on my Mum’s funeral as she missed out on the birth lottery. So I’ll be doing whatever I want
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I am personally hoping the lakes will be rather quiet and will do as i please

An old person, who was a stranger to me. has died and i am as upset by that news as it warrants.

EDIT: they have not emailed members about this so I assumes its as bearlegged says
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Hospital appointment cancelled so I'll be riding in tribute (or is that riding and then drinking Tribute...)
gairym

Post by gairym »

Very interesting watching all of this from a nice safe distance.

I likened it to losing a Spice Girl (sad a person died, culturally obviously very important but minimal personal impact) - didn't go down well weirdly... :roll:

Fairly sure I'm ok to ride Monday :-bd
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Bearlegged wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:52 pm I'd guess it's just BC guarding against any possible criticism of themselves.
... and in doing so opening themselves up to criticism from anyone with an ounce of common sense. Bit of an own goal that.

I won't be riding because I'll be in the Lakes sans bike, but it won't affect my plans.
Lazarus wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:15 pm I am personally hoping the lakes will be rather quiet and will do as i please
Hmmm, we'll see, but I was expecting the opposite. I've been tricked into going to the Lakes on a BH weekend. I expect you won't be the only one with an extra day off and a desire to avoid the circus.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is Monday actually an official BH? Stuff I read all seemed a bit vague and seemed to imply it would be down to employers on an individual basis ... not that it matters to me much.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I don't care what BC say or think.... I'm on holiday next week in any case with my usual plan to head off on the bike somewhere, depending on the weather. Deeside is an option although it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the shops up that way are shut. I'm quite sure Queenie would prefer it for everyone to go about their business rather than maudlin at home so that's what I'll be doing.
faustus

Post by faustus »

Think it is an official bank holiday, including schools and nurseries closing and basically the full works, including centre PARC's telling people who've paid for a holiday to bugger off for a day :roll:

We're deciding what to do with the kids on Monday, maybe trespassing on a National trust property as it'll be shut? Roads will be quiet but maybe we'd get pulled over by police for being disrespectful or having a non state sanctioned opinion?
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I'm choosing to work, although I might ride in.
I've only got meetings with other trades before work starts proper a few days later.
It is a discretionary B/H but I know the wife's staff are expecting the day off.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I was expecting the opposite
Pack your hopes not your fears :lol:

Its an hour to south lakes so riding about 7 am and will base what time I leave [to come homw] on how many folk i see when I hit Ambleside on the bike- Would love to do the top two but not risking that ...and will be back at the weekend anyway.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Lol

What is this, North Korea? I can have my own genuinely respectful thoughts on HRH personally as well as be a republican who doesn't watch anything on TV in the daytime, unless it's Paris-Roubaix. Will be enjoying a day off in the same way I enjoy many days off.. outdoors
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

If all goes to plan I'll be doing the Lakeland 200 on Sat & Sun so I'd imagine the last thing I'll want to do on Monday is ride a bike.

Voted "no".
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Everyone cracked on as normal on my Mum’s funeral as she missed out on the birth lottery. So I’ll be doing whatever I want
I'll be riding in tribute to you and your principles Dave. It has all gone very much rather wierd. But there was the MBR article many years ago where the Queen told Ollie (some olymic mtb champ) that her and her horse don't like mountain bikes (or mountain bikers!)... Maybe she was serious..
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I had a flight booked to Scotland Monday for a two week walking break. This has now been cancelled so I’ll be up Sunday instead and marching furiously out of Dunoon as the funeral begins. Respecting the wishes of the queen I’ll take a catapult and try for a few grouse on the way
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

the advice has been deleted but still advising against club rides
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/ ... r-ridicule
the statement was this

British Cycling strongly recommends that anybody out riding their bike on the day of the state funeral does so outside of the timings of the funeral service and associated processions, which will be confirmed later this week,”
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What is this, North Korea?[/quote
Yep, hard to believe that 'they're' now telling you how to spend your free time ... and harder to believe that many will simply go along with it. :wink:

Hello 1984 .
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I don't know if they just worded it badly and then it snowballed or someone just had a brain fart. If they'd given advice that riding your bike in Central London on Monday in the hours around the funeral wasn't advisable due to the likely crowds and closure of roads and that no BC events would be held on Monday then that would have made some sense.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

My club does a Monday night gravel ride. Just a social 20 miles on local tracks, and then a pint at the pub. Just been announced that this is cancelled due to BC advice. I was unlikely to go on Monday since I'll still be in the Lakes/on the way back/in need of some sleep, but now I'm inclined to try and make it in protest :roll:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I'm wondering if pubs will be open Dave, hopefully the co-op will be or else I'll be starving on Monday!
Just like Sundays used to be in the Western Isles!
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Fair point Phil, though, much as I like the pub element of it, the ride doesn't depend on it. The tracks will still be open... I hope... unless they tape them off like park benches during Covid!
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

thenorthwind wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:04 pm My club does a Monday night gravel ride. Just a social 20 miles on local tracks, and then a pint at the pub. Just been announced that this is cancelled due to BC advice. I was unlikely to go on Monday since I'll still be in the Lakes/on the way back/in need of some sleep, but now I'm inclined to try and make it in protest :roll:
Club have now announced that if we do our own rides, we shouldn't wear club kit. Luckily I don't have any anyway :roll:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Club have now announced that if we do our own rides, we shouldn't wear club kit. Luckily I don't have any anyway :roll:
Oh dear. They're embarassed with folk that don't respect high class people in even higher castles. Maybe someone should set up a group start of some sort :o
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Club have now announced that if we do our own rides, we shouldn't wear club kit. Luckily I don't have any anyway
I genuinely find that somewhat sad.

Whereas me, I shall use it as an opportunity to wear my spare 'John Climber' jersey. :-bd