Bike storage

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Sameer

Bike storage

Post by Sameer »

Any suggestions for outdoor bike storage options? I've just moved to a house with a small garden and no garage.

Those plastic Keter things any good?

Thanks in advance,
Sameer
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Bike storage

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

This kind of thing?

May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

^^^
There’s absolutely no way I’d trust one of those boxes with anything valuable! I think they would be easy to break in, have one in my garden and all I keep is my DIY stuff in it.

When I lived in a one bed flat in Manchester, we (mrs voodoo and I) kept four bikes in the hall wall on one of those support with two bikes tucked underneath

benp1

Post by benp1 »

I had an Asgard 29er 4 bike shed delivered about 3 weeeks ago. So far so good, has created more room in the garage (most of my bikes are still in there, it’s mostly for everyone else
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

If you have to the asgard is the only option but its not going to stop someone with an angle grinder who is really keen on your bikes

i would keep mine in the house personally
I have one of those racks above its pretty useful and the bikes will be no wider than the bars [ or less if you undo stem and turn them obvs ]
I also have the wheel ones in the alcoves for other bikes - just not worth having your bikes outside IMHO
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

There’s absolutely no way I’d trust one of those boxes with anything valuable!
Sorry, sometimes I forget I live in the land of unlocked doors :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Friends of mine have one of these - https://thecodestore.co.uk/product/secu ... ke-bunker/
Spendy but secure.
Or - speak to your local council and see if they are getting rid of cycle lockers anywhere (as they are a management hassle)...
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I'm a fan of those plastic keter sheds, I've put up a couple and taking delivery of one soon, the more expensive ones really are a good product and I'd certainly recommend them over a wooden one at the same price point. They don't move around with moisture etc. as much as a wooden one, no rot and are far more dimensionally accurate. Security wise - they're on a par with a wooden shed I'd say. If I'd lost the keys to my padlock and needed to break in, I wouldn't find it too much trouble with either wooden, plastic or even those thin metal sheds.
I've got a shipping container for storage...that's a bit more work to break in (although I guess a hiab could come along and pick that up :lol: ).

I don't know how high risk an area you live in etc. back in my uni days we used to keep the bikes indoors. If you could really do with them outdoors, anything that looks a bit fancy and may be keeping something valuable in would be a target and you may want to consider a "normal" looking shed that people keep tins of paint in and a ground anchor hidden inside that and some chains/locks for the bikes.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

oh, and if you get a metal one - some insulation (foiled bubble wrap) makes a helluva difference to reducing condensation. :-bd
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

There's a dozen of these in a patch of grass beside the public toilets on the Pontcysyllte aqueduct car park. I’ve tried, without success (before I lost interest), to find out who's in charge of them. They’re very sturdy but I don’t know if they’d take more than one full-sized bike, so they’d take up a lot of room.

Very spendy for a single bike though….

https://plasticfurniturecompany.co.uk/b ... orage-unit
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...