Sit Mat

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

faustus

Sit Mat

Post by faustus »

So, anybody use a sit mat? Any recommendations?

Want to get one for times on the bike when I stop for lunch, things like that. Also for use hiking/walking generally out and about. Fairly light would be nice, but don't want an air inflated one just cos it seems unnecessary? Needs enough insulation that I don't get a cold arse when sitting on a rock in winter, so anything like a bit of groundsheet or blanket is out. Small packability would be nice (to go in frame bag, fork leg etc.), as would reasonable price.

Apologies if I've breached any TLS code, but this is for a bit of everything and some comfort on gentle stopping rides.

Ta!
TheBrownDog

Re: Sit Mat

Post by TheBrownDog »

I use one made from a old cut up closed cell foam sleeping mat. It's the exact size of my kitchen cutting board, which is what I used as the template for it. Weights nothing and, when I use it, I roll it into my sleeping kit which goes into my bar harness. I find them very useful when kneeling to conduct camp site faffage. I've got a few bits of it remaining if you want one. PM me your address etc, drop £2 into a Help for Heroes charity tin, and I'll stick one in the post.
I'm just going outside ...
psling

Post by psling »

I carry a square of closed cell foam mat (in fact it was a freeby with a walking mag about 30 years ago!) when I'm walking. It slides down inside the back of my rucksack. Surprisingly I don't take it with me bikepacking, no idea why because I would certainly use it :???: :roll:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I've got a foam folding one like this:
Bit bulky, I carry it in my rucksack.

I've also had a lot of success using the foil backed bubble-wrap stuff, akin to what Stu sells for pot cozies. Probably not as effective for long stops, but just for a quick snack/tea break it does the job. Cut to size, not bulky, tends to get more compliant/fold/stuffable with use.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A bit of laminate floor underlay? Maybe two pieces glued together?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

At the risk of veering wildly off course, Alpkit drybagsacs used to be built so you could pull out the back stiffening panel and use as you've described. Karrimor sacs also used to have this but I haven't had one of theirs for a long, long time and this is going back 30+ years :oops:.

In a TLS-fashion, I find laminated maps to be pretty handy for this sort of stuff too.

Edit - their Gourdon range:

Last edited by Cheeky Monkey on Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

blow up a dry bag and sit on that ?EDIT: Blow up pillow would work as well - TLS and all that
Never tired i as i either ride or sleep [ or lie down whimpering]
faustus

Post by faustus »

Thanks for the responses so far

@thebrowndog - sounds a good way to use that material! Thanks kindly for the offer, i'm not decided what size i'd like yet
@cheeky monkey - I have an old karrimor sabre 30 with one in! It's non-folding though, but I might take a look to see if it can be cut down...?

I do have a pillow which could double up, but this would mainly be used when not bikepacking or for more touring excursions, so not too worried about complete minimalism. Sounds precious, but I don't really want to get the pillow dirty or wet. I'd still like something fairly comfy and insulating, so currently erring on the side of thick-ish foam or self-inflating.
psling

Post by psling »

Just waiting for the extollers of the lightweight camp chair to come along now....

[I was going to post a picture of one but Blimey! can't believe the price of them now :shock: ]
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I use a Klymit V seat

https://klymit.com/products/v-seat

I've never trusted a pillow to be durable enough to sit on. I've also got a square of groundsheet material (80 g/sq m) about 400mm x 400mm which adds another 12g which can go under it to keep it dry if necessary. The groundsheet material per-dates the mat and it's what I use to stand/kneel on when sorting kit, getting into my bivi et.

I now use a 3/4 length sleeping mat and I stuff the sit mat inside the footbox of my quilt to keep my feet off the geound so dual use and the overall weight is less than a full length sleeping mat.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

I use a piece of 1" closed cell foam that sits in the bottom of my top-loader bar bag and stiffens it up / protects the stuff in the bag from vibration on the rack. It does mean that it only gets used in camp generally but it gets used for everything from being used as a windbreak for the stove to scraping twigs and pinecones from my chosen tent spot. And sometimes I sit on it too. 7" x 13" , 30g
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I’ve got a multimat folding closed cell mat and keep it in my cycling pack.

It’s also handy for bikepacking/camping in the doorway of the tent so you’ve got somewhere dry to put your feet while you get your footwear on/off.

Less than 3 quid : https://www.outdooraction.co.uk/multima ... 070/s24023
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

psling wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:59 pm Just waiting for the extollers of the lightweight camp chair to come along now....

[I was going to post a picture of one but Blimey! can't believe the price of them now :shock: ]
If I'm not hammocking I take my chair, a Helinox Chair Zero. It's light and very comfortable and only £20 more now than I paid for it about 7 years ago ... still, yes crazy expensive but for me well worth it. My back and knees are so ruined, I can't be relying on finding fallen trees and stumps to get a decent seat. Horses fer courses of course.
I'm just going outside ...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Surprised no one's tried one of these yet. I've no idea how heavy they are but I can't imagine they weigh 'that' much ... as long as you leave the woman adorning it at home.

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I now use a 3/4 length sleeping mat and I stuff the sit mat inside the footbox of my quilt to keep my feet off the ground so dual use and the overall weight is less than a full length sleeping mat.
Salutes your commitment to TLS - nifty dual use weight saving solution
ootini

Post by ootini »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:17 pm Surprised no one's tried one of these yet. I've no idea how heavy they are but I can't imagine they weigh 'that' much ... as long as you leave the woman adorning it at home.

Pain in the arse to inflate, and weigh a lot more than you'd expect as there's multiple baffles and inner bags inside it.
ootini

Post by ootini »

I tend to sit on my bar harness, which has a bit of padding in it. But it's a pain to remove and refit.
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Pain in the arse to inflate, and weigh a lot more than you'd expect as there's multiple baffles and inner bags inside it.
I have some similar ones for beach/ back garden use. Inflation is easy with a breeze. They aren't that heavy as there is nowt to them. Just a nylon bag with an inner plastic bag. Both quite thin. Surprisingly comfy.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

have some similar ones for beach/ back garden use. Inflation is easy with a breeze. They aren't that heavy as there is nowt to them. Just a nylon bag with an inner plastic bag. Both quite thin. Surprisingly comfy.
That's what I'd assumed they were, so maybe different types then?
barney

Post by barney »

Now the little Barneys are a bit older I just use one of their old baby changing mats from a carry bag.

It's waterproof, has a bit of padding and can easily be rolled up.
Wait for me...
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I’ve used a multimat folding sit mat for many years now. Always bring one on a trip, whether it’s bikepacking or on foot. Used for sitting and also for getting changed or standing on when I’m getting into my bivvy. Weighs very little and is amazingly useful.

I have a range of different types but my favourite is the multimat one. Have had homemade ones, self inflating ones and the bubbly looking one above
Al

Post by Al »

That silver backed bubble wrap is very light, cheap and pretty durable. Keeps your bum warm too!
ootini

Post by ootini »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:59 pm
have some similar ones for beach/ back garden use. Inflation is easy with a breeze. They aren't that heavy as there is nowt to them. Just a nylon bag with an inner plastic bag. Both quite thin. Surprisingly comfy.
Probably. Ours is a cheap n nasty. I just assumed they were all cheap n nasty.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

ootini wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:42 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:59 pm
Probably. Ours is a cheap n nasty. I just assumed they were all cheap n nasty.
My experience was same as yours - awkward to inflate, relatively heavy and bulky too.

Kids enjoyed it though :grin: