Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

godivatrailrider

Best be safe !

Post by godivatrailrider »

Gadzooks! I'd like to see this work on most of the stuff I ride ! :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Best be safe !

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Maybe an actual light would prove to be just as useful? Granted, it's something of an old fashioned notion but having used one for some time, I can assure you that I'm not quite dead yet due to unexpected alterations in terrain. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

If it was displayed in your lid and included puddle / bog depth, ground consistency, tussock density and terrain over a large drop off, I'd be in!
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Looking only 4 feet ahead of you when riding is surely the cause of many accidents
RIP

Post by RIP »

fatbikephil wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:56 pm If it was displayed in your lid and included puddle / bog depth, ground consistency, tussock density and terrain over a large drop off, I'd be in!
:grin:

May as well go the whole hog really, and just don a VR headset, go virtual-biking with that, and forget the whole nasty bumpy inconvenient outdoors business altogether :smile: .
Last edited by RIP on Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Bottom left picture. I can see by the grid that the ground isn't perfectly flat but can anyone translate the grid into exactly what's on the ground? I can't.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Chummy's saddle looks too low to me as well. Do himself a mischief he will, needs to sort that before mucking about with lasers and suchlike.

The pattern is bound to flicker constantly all over the place unless you're riding on a mirror-flat surface. With that distraction you're going to be falling off in short order anyway I reckon.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

RIP wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:33 pm The pattern is bound to flicker constantly all over the place
https://odditymall.com/lumigrids-grid-b ... -projector

In fact there you go, that film part way down has made me fall off my chair just looking at it on the screen. How on earth is a rider's brain supposed to keep up with, and more importantly interpret and then act upon, the pattern changing every zillisecond too?

>slaps forehead< Doh, I've fallen into the trap of treating it seriously!
Last edited by RIP on Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Now to be fair, I find this a bit more appealing: https://odditymall.com/laser-bike-lane-lights

arkay

Post by arkay »

I’d prefer a laser that beams an order in to the nearest hostelry, Batman-style, when you’re not going to make it before the kitchen shuts.
RIP

Post by RIP »

arkay wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:50 pm I’d prefer a laser that beams an order in to the nearest hostelry, Batman-style, when you’re not going to make it before the kitchen shuts.
All sorts of weird phenomena occur in the vicinity of bikepacker-favoured hostelries. Spacetime gets warped around them, and in some extreme cases the effect is the same as a black hole - once you've crossed the 'hostelry-horizon' you're trapped and can never escape. Even the Stuart Wright 20 Minute Rule ceases to be of any help in that situation.

This actually happened to me at the last Winter Event in the Wynnstay Arms at Llanbrynmair. In fact I do believe I'm still there. Being a black hole, due to the 'spaghetti effect', of course my arms (and everything else) are now infinitely long. Which is very handy when it comes to reaching the bar for the next pint.
Last edited by RIP on Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

RIP wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:39 pm
RIP wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:33 pm The pattern is bound to flicker constantly all over the place
https://odditymall.com/lumigrids-grid-b ... -projector

In fact there you go, that film part way down has made me fall off my chair just looking at it on the screen. How on earth is a rider's brain supposed to keep up with, and more importantly interpret, the pattern changing every zillisecond too?

>slaps forehead< Doh, I've fallen into the trap of treating it seriously!
In a way it is like real vision (TM) in that it will identify a trail hazard that will cause you to crash, just past the point where you are able to do anything about it....
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Looking only 4 feet ahead of you when riding is surely the cause of many accidents
Not if you go slow enough :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

In fact I do believe I'm still there
So do I. Pauline keeps ringing up to see if I'll come and get you :wink: