Another rafting trip. Spey descent

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Another rafting trip. Spey descent

Post by ScotRoutes »

http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2013/06/ ... -list.html

Fantastic 3 days. I dunno what deal BackCountryBiking have with the weather gods....
d45yth

Re: Another rafting trip. Spey descent

Post by d45yth »

Looks like a great trip! I think I'm going to have to give it a go (and hope you're right about BackCountryBiking having made a deal with the weather gods).

One question though, how stable are those packrafts? I've had a go at a few things on the water this past year. Kayaking was great and felt in control fairly quickly. If it's similar to that I'll be fine. The other things I tried I wasn't so good at and got wet fairly regularly...not something I'm too bothered about, but think it will be hard work getting upright again?
- The seasons blow away, but the love is just the same -
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The packrafts are a lot more stable than you'd think. There are lots of videos on YouTube of folk doing some pretty extreme rapids with them. Compared to kayaks, I'd say the following..

They are less "directional. That means harder to paddle in a straight line but much more maneuverable. That makes a huge difference in low water as you can steer them pretty sharply between rocks that a kayak would have no hope of avoiding. (having a pack on the front actually helps stability a lot). The rafts come in various sizes and it's recommended you go for one as small as possible for your height. That means your legs are hard against the side tubes which also aids stability and steering.

If the worst happens, you'll simply tumble out of the raft. If you have a spraydeck attached (recommended bte) then you might have to tug at the corner strap. It's only fastened by velcro though.

Remember that if you're in the water and the raft is upstream of you then it'll do a lot less damage to you than a fast-moving hard kayak might.

Righting them is pretty difficult - almost impossible if you have a pack attached. You may have to drag it to the side or simply sit on the upturned raft and paddle it to a calmer and shallower spot.
matt_outandabout

Post by matt_outandabout »

Spey is an ace trip! What weather. Mind, the more it rains, the less you paddle and the more fun it is!
d45yth

Post by d45yth »

Thanks for the detailed response ScotRoutes.
- The seasons blow away, but the love is just the same -
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

If you're in the E Central Scotland area at any point and fancy a gander at/chat about/wee shot of the packraft, let me know.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I'd love to do something like that but my back problems won't let me. Twisting under load, ie, paddling would have me in agony within minutes :( .
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Ray Young wrote:I'd love to do something like that but my back problems won't let me. Twisting under load, ie, paddling would have me in agony within minutes :( .
Again - if you ever want to try it out, do let me know. Pentlands Reservoirs make for nice, calm padding :)
Backcountrybiking

Post by Backcountrybiking »

oops
Last edited by Backcountrybiking on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.backcountrybiking.co.uk
UK distributor of Revelate designs gear, Alpacka rafts and Force ten tents and provider of bikepacking and packrafting skills training courses and adventures and Packraft hire
Backcountrybiking

Post by Backcountrybiking »

http://www.backcountrybiking.co.uk
UK distributor of Revelate designs gear, Alpacka rafts and Force ten tents and provider of bikepacking and packrafting skills training courses and adventures and Packraft hire
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

That makes a huge difference in low water as you can steer them pretty sharply between rocks that a kayak would have no hope of avoiding.
As a whitewater kayaker and instructor, I'd dispute that... :)
"Where you've been is good and gone, all you keep's the getting there..."