Vittoria 29+ tyres?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

PaulE

Vittoria 29+ tyres?

Post by PaulE »

Does anyone on here use Vittoria 29*3.0 tyres, specifically the Cannoli and Bomboloni models? There are some on eBay at an excellent price, and I was wondering what they were like for grip.... They work out at about £30 each posted which seems a bit of a deal for 29+.

Even more specifically, has anyone had any luck setting up the normal (rather than TNT) version tubeless, as they appear to be a bit lighter, suppler and cheaper!

Ta...
fatbikephil

Re: Vittoria 29+ tyres?

Post by fatbikephil »

I tried a pair of bombolonis a few years ago - they went up tubeless without sealant and stayed inflated but in service burped constantly and one distorted horribly to the point of being unusable. But a few folk I've met have used them fine..... They come up at slightly less than 3" but the tread seemed OK. Probably worth a punt at 30 quid?
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Thanks, you don't happen to remember if they were the tubeless ready TNT ones, or the normal 120tpi type would you?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Pretty sure they were the tubeless ready ones - they had just come out from memory and thats all that was going.
liamg

Post by liamg »

I've been riding a TNT Cannoli on the front for the past 2 weeks and so far so good. They went up tubeless quite easily, in comparison to the non-tubeless Bomboloni I bought by mistake, which were so loose on the rim they were never going to work without a tube. In my experience then, definitely go for the TNT versions if you plan on running them tubeless.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Ta for the advice... Got a pair of tubeless canolli and a pair of normal Bomboloni for £122 so that'll do...
Mart

Post by Mart »

I’ve got some bombolinis on the front on my hard tail. Roll quite well.
Much more grip than the knard they replaced
2924 miles per Gallon
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

I just got back from holiday to find a box of them in the porch, so will hopefully have a go tomorrow!
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

I like the Bombolini but found the Cannoli a bit overkill for my riding, quite heavy and draggy. A bombolini front and 2.6 mecal rear has been my choice for a couple of years. Great combo :-bd
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

So, I'm an idiot and should follow advice more closely... Anyone want to buy a pair of non-tubeless (that sounds ridiculous) Bomboloni tyres??? As Liam said, way too loose to go up tubeless... £55 for them anyone???
Mart

Post by Mart »

Could you not pad out the rim with some gorilla tape to tighten the bead?
2924 miles per Gallon