New SMD Lunar solo owner

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

General Waste

New SMD Lunar solo owner

Post by General Waste »

Hello all (and cheers for the add)

Just bought a SMD Lunar Solo - anyone have any experience of packing them? Is it safe to compress the tent or will this affect the integrity of it over time?

Also, pole and peg recommendations. I have some old Alpkit Ti pegs from years ago, are there better, lighter options nowadays? I have the SMD carbon pole (the 3 piece version) I understand the 5 piece version is easier to pack - though I did read that they weren't much cop (only 1 review, but it seemed a legit gripe). What's anyone else using?

Any other tips, tricks welcomed

Any info is greatly appreciated

Cheers
Bearbonesnorm

Re: New SMD Lunar solo owner

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You won't do any harm stuffing it - in fact, over time stuffing is kinder than rolling. I do however leave zips undone when stuffing as it gives them an easier time.

The BB carbon pole is noticeably stiffer than the SMD pole. Lost track of how many I've made over the years. I do occasionally need to repair one (which I'll always do FOC) but breakages are generally accidental or alcohol induced :wink:

Any peg will suffice but make sure the peg on the front line is a good 'un as that's the main peg.

Using the side tie-outs will help increase internal space somewhat and add stability.
May the bridges you burn light your way
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

If you look at the Bear Bones shop you’ll find some poles - carbon or aluminium - that are far superior to the flexi SMD offerings.
Pegs. There are some people on here who could write a doctoral thesis about pegs. I get by on some mid weight candy-cane style Ti pegs that I’ve had for years.
Can’t see how intermittent stuffing of the tent will do it any damage so long as it’s not stored overly compressed for prolonged periods. I’ve an SMD Gatewood (and a few other tents) that get treated like that without detriment.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Hello GW, I bought a Lunar Solo off of this forum, it came with a BB carbon pole. I pitched it in the garden when a named storm was passing to test it and the pole was fine with it.

For pegs, I use MSR ones that came with my Elixir.

I use the stuff method when packing it away, then give it a bit more room when I get home.

As already mentioned, the side tie-outs make a big difference, particularly when it's windy. I'm six foot and the sides would collapse down onto my face when it blew. I cut two thin garden canes that just fitted my frame bag and used them to get a better angle on the guys.

I found you need at least one of the doors open to stop condensation, so I always try and pitch with the back towards any incoming weather. :-bd
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

I must admit I always roll mine, but it's a doddle to fold! Great tent.
I'm sure the Easton pole that came with mine is shorter than advertised but SMD weren't interested and said it can't be.
At some point I'll defo be tapping Stu up for a BB carbon pole.

The tent dries really quickly. On a recent trip it was one of the few nights I've experienced much inner condensation and had packed the tent away pretty wet. I got near Llyn Brianne and found a suitably windy spot , got the tent out and stood holding open to the wind, kite like. Dried in less than 10 mins and was dry for the next night :)

I too like to sleep with one or both of the outer doors open. The hook & loop to secure the non moving outer door to the guy is rubbish so I've added a small loop of dyneema to that side and it stays hooked much better.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Lost track of how many I've made over the years.
I've counted 39 but that's the way I roll :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've counted 39 but that's the way I roll
:YMAPPLAUSE:
General Waste

Post by General Waste »

A big thanks for all the responses.

Which carbon poles in the shop? I could only see a single pole that had SMD LS in the drop down. All the others are by height. From the SMD website they recommend a 49" pole. If you can point me toward the one that folds down best & fits, I promise not to damage it through alcohol inducement :wink:

Seriously appreciate the tips. Cheers.

I'll be pegging it in the garden on Tuesday to tape the seams (that's also a first for me - so any do's don'ts, chime in before I potentially make an arse of it/myself.

Cheers again
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I could only see a single pole that had SMD LS in the drop down.
That's the one. 125cm (49") overall and folds to 28cm.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

BB carbon poles for the win.

Pitch out the 2 front corners.
Fit the pole.
Peg the front line slightly to the left of the zip
Peg out the very back tie down
Make sure the pole is vertical
Then tidy it up pegging the 2 remaining back tie downs and the strings on the side to lift the sides from your head and feet
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:21 am but breakages are generally alcohol induced :wink:
I can't imagine anyone stupid enough to do that.