Garmin Solar

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pistonbroke

Re: Garmin Solar

Post by pistonbroke »

Guilty as charged Dave but I'm arguing for fewer "features " but better build quality. I'm convinced that in these days of Nat like attention span, the vast majority don't set up their devices to give some semblance of accurate performance data, nor know what it means, there's just so much complexity, maybe that's why DC Rainmaker talks so quickly :smile:
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

pistonbroke wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:11 am It seems Garmin have moved so far from the original,and imo, most important principle of what a GPS should do i.e tell you where you are and where you need to go....
A hiking GPS does as you wish.
On the flip side, the strava-sportive-rider-type has (likely) driven the market need for better battery life, and quite likely the desire for bigger and better screens. Both of which benefit us as bikepackers.
Most of the fluff can be disabled

It will be interesting if / when the Oregon series is renewed.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Built in obsolescence? I've sold GPS that still work and are literally decades old and the two I currently have are only a bit younger but probably approaching double figures each. All Garmins.

A bit idiosyncratic maybe and the menus / functions are a bit baffling at times but them increasing features and functions seems a bit of a luddite moan.

I dont get the issue about USB C, I thought this new unit had it so they're getting there (slowly 😉)?

And as for adding workable solar charging to such a device I just think that's amazing and very customer / need focused response to a "real problem".

YMMV 😎

Edit - all trekking type units IIRC.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I dont get the issue about USB C, I thought this new unit had it so they're getting there (slowly )?
7 years ago when USB C was launched, they were still using mini USB, yes the new £600 1040 has it but the charge pack doesn't nor the 530 and 830. The the 30 series is only a couple or 3 years old, a full 4 years after they could have adopted the more robust C Ports.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

[/quote]

At looooong last they've binned the flimsy micro USB and use the more robust USB C connection as well as the 5 pins on the underside to connect to a Garmin Charge. Seems to work in the rain as well. If only these features were available on the Explore
[/quote]

Does anyone know if there's any rear lights being made yet with usb-connections?

In other news (well, back on topic), the garmin blurb says
Ride farther, charge less. With solar charging, get up to 45 hours of battery life in demanding use cases and up to 100 hours in battery saver mode1.
Does that mean it'll never charge faster than it depletes. I wonder. Looks tempting...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:27 am
Agree with Dave in that the market for gps (like most things) is driven by the consumer and it would appear that many people can no longer go for a slash without knowing how many steps it required, what their max HR was before, during and after and when they might need another.
What GPS is that, would be very handy, particularly if it featured a 'where you can go without being interrupted' feature :-bd

*cough* Garmin Etrex?

I keep thinking of getting a USB chargeable GPS but I think I'll stick to my collection of second hand Dakotas for now (currently on number 2 but it's a bit flaky, number ones screen failing (after 7 years use and abuse) but got high hopes for number 3. Hopefully after that one croaks I'll be able to buy something that plugs into my head.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Hopefully after that one croaks I'll be able to buy something that plugs into my head.
That'll be your brain Phil - old tech but still works well enough if used appropriately :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

pistonbroke wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:20 am
I dont get the issue about USB C, I thought this new unit had it so they're getting there (slowly )?
7 years ago when USB C was launched, they were still using mini USB, yes the new £600 1040 has it but the charge pack doesn't nor the 530 and 830. The the 30 series is only a couple or 3 years old, a full 4 years after they could have adopted the more robust C Ports.
Aaahhh, gotcha. Cheers for expanding.

Still, Apple have also only just started so they're not unique in their reticence :grin: :cool:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

There's a Beers Earned widget for Garmin.
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

Dave Barter wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:20 am I also think our lust for low price consumer electronics comes back to bite us. The engineering in these devices is astonishing when you look at it in detail. A tiny device that connects to satellites in seconds and performs complex mathematics on the fly… Yet we want to pay around about 2 tanks of petrol for it. Compromise has to be made.
That is true of so many things, everyone want all singing, all dancing, latest tech but wants it for peanuts and wants it to last for ever even though they will be moving on to the next latest edition as soon as it's available whether they need it or not.
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:03 am
Hopefully after that one croaks I'll be able to buy something that plugs into my head.
That'll be your brain Phil - old tech but still works well enough if used appropriately :wink:
Dunno about that, recently I've been thinking I need a 'hard reboot' (or a kick in the head) given the erratic-ness of my memory and general thought processes of late
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Phil, try switching it off and back on again :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way