Saddles

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

welshwhit

Saddles

Post by welshwhit »

If you we're in the market for a new saddle, what would you go for?

I've currently got an on one big nose.

I was considering something like the selle italia maxflite gel flow saddle, but I can't help but wonder is this saddle going to be 3 times better than the charge spoon?

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks

Drew
restlessshawn

Re: Saddles

Post by restlessshawn »

SDG Bel Air Ti, if you like a spoon then you should like them except they are comfier...about 3 times the price though
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Big fan of Specialized saddles personally. The Phenom in particular
HUX

Post by HUX »

Madison Flux is a spoon copy, I have the Prime on my roadie. Super comfy and much cheapness!!
Mart

Post by Mart »

I too quite liked the On One big nose, and now wonder why I considered anything else. If you have found a comfy saddle why change?

Tried a charge spoon but for me it was the most painfull experience ever, Just not suitable
I would try out a few different ones through your mates so you know how comfy they are

I still use my Big Nose but also have a Selle Italia, SLR Gel Flow which also suited me
Its a bit of a racing saddle but because it flexes and is forgiving, I can sit on it all day
Oh and it doesnt absorb water so added rain and muck proof bonus :)
2924 miles per Gallon
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Spoons are fabulous value so easy to try and not a great loss if you decide to sell on. The Flux and the Gusset R-Series are based on the same shell.

I also love the Phenom (in a 143).

I've a Brooks B17 on my tourer. It didn't need any running in and us super for very long days sitting down pedalling. Not light though.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I used to have an On One Big nose but found that after 10 - 12 hours or so it became pretty painful. I think the nice soft padding became compressed over that length of time. The spoon (or spoon type saddles) doesn't seem to suffer and remains comfy even on very long days.

I tend to find smaller, less padded saddles more comfortable on long rides, I also don't use any form of padding either ... but obviously everyone's different.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Chew

Post by Chew »

If you find something that works just stick with it.

I've just changed over to a Charge Spoon and no complaints from 3 days of riding on it.
rocklobstercat

Post by rocklobstercat »

The key is to find a saddle that is compatible with your own anatomy. So it will be different for everyone. I have been using Ritchey saddles for three years and can ride all day with no soreness at all.