Insulated Bivi Bag - Recommendations

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

drewbingham

Insulated Bivi Bag - Recommendations

Post by drewbingham »

I had (and stupidly sold) a fantastic Berghaus 'Big Wall' bivi bag, which was insulated with Primaloft down the bottom 2/3rds. It meant that I didn't have to carry a full sleeping bag and could get away with just a down jacket and a liner bag inside it. I have tried to buy it back but to no avail!

Are there any other recommendations for anything similar which would allow me to leave a full sleeping bag at home?
Richpips

Re: Insulated Bivi Bag - Recommendations

Post by Richpips »

Montane used to do a waterproof sleeping bag that had taped seams called the Minimus iirc

Macpac did a range of sleeping bags with waterproof outers also, though not seam sealed.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Crux do or did bags with eVent shells.
May the bridges you burn light your way
drewbingham

Post by drewbingham »

Thanks all, hadn't come across waterproof bags before - are they all that, or are they a compromise that need to be used with a tarp really anyway, or are they truly the best of both worlds?
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

drewbingham wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:32 pm Thanks all, hadn't come across waterproof bags before - are they all that, or are they a compromise that need to be used with a tarp really anyway, or are they truly the best of both worlds?
My experience with a couple of properly waterproof bivis in proper rain is that a small tarp makes life more comfortable.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm with Rich here. While the waterproof bag I had was good and worked as expected, it was no different to using a non-waterproof bag inside a waterproof bivvy bag. The addition of a tarp (even a small one) makes life much more pleasant unless you can guarantee no rain.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I think PHD might offer an insulated bivvy for high mountain bivouac, no doubt eyewateringly expensive though.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Insulated trousers/pants?
jameso

Post by jameso »

A few half bag / pied d'elephant type alpine climbing bags on the market, may be worth a look at those combined with a standard bivi bag?Image