Best way to pack down a sleeping bag?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rivers

Best way to pack down a sleeping bag?

Post by rivers »

I have a 3 season sleeping bag that I've had for many, many years. It's still in like new condition as it's only been used a handful of times in the past 15 years or so. It's synthetic filled. I tried packing it down as tightly as I could as I want to take it on my next trip. However, it still takes up my entire saddle bag (15 litres). Are there any tricks to pack it down smaller? Or should I just use my 2 season mountain warehouse special with a liner? Buying a new, lightweight sleeping bag is not on the cards this year
Charliecres

Re: Best way to pack down a sleeping bag?

Post by Charliecres »

Stick it in a dry bag, kneel on it with the opening open then fold the dry bag coded while still kneeling on it. That’s as small as it will go.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Compression sack and compress it !

I have two sleeping bags that are about the same weight/temp of -1 iirc- and one will squash and one wont [ both synthetic]
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

I've got an old 3 season synthetic as well. Unfortunately synthetic bags just don't pack down very well, I have to put mine in a rucksack when I've taken it out.
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

The best way to pack down a sleeping bag is to pack a down sleeping bag :wink: sorry
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Chris is right, but until then, have a look at the Exped dry bags with longitudinal compression straps and clever valve. Ive been using these for a few years and you can't beat 'em

https://www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk/PBSC ... D=23089202
I'm just going outside ...
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

TheBrownDog wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:27 pm Chris is right, but until then, have a look at the Exped dry bags with longitudinal compression straps and clever valve. Ive been using these for a few years and you can't beat 'em

https://www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk/PBSC ... D=23089202
There's actually one better than that BD, IMO... The one from (forgotten the name) with an event base. Once packed you just squeeze (as with the valve) and you can feel lightly the air escaping from the waterproof event base. Amazing dry bag it is...
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

That sounds like magic Shaf ... can't be doing magic. :grin:
I'm just going outside ...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

redefined_cycles

TheBrownDog wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:22 pm That sounds like magic Shaf ... can't be doing magic. :grin:
Lol... it is magic (kindof). Best thing is that they come with much years warranty too :grin:

Ooops... I meant Lifetime Guarantee :smile: https://www.seatosummit.co.uk/products/ ... -dry-sack/
redefined_cycles

Thanks Jon. Yes, that too but I think you've linked the heavier/compression(ier) version...