A WRT on Bromptons.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Pickers

A WRT on Bromptons.

Post by Pickers »

Well. It was Thursday. The Thursday before the WRT. I’d just had a new bike delivered. I’d mentioned to Nick that it was coming, but not what the bike would be. I sent a picture over.

The question came back…. “What about WRT on Brommies?”

I replied positively, then we both thought “what the actual fxxx have we done?”

Saturday arrived. We made our way separately to BB Towers, but neither of us was 100% confident that the other would actually turn up with a Brompton. Dumb idea? Yup! Mine was a six speed version and fresh out of the box, the only thing I did was oil the chain and hang the bags on. Nicks was identical but was a two speed version. And it transpired that the only shifter was not shifting no matter how we both fiddled with it and sprayed oil at it. Singlespeed it was then.
Bromptons are no lighter than conventional bikes, mine was 46.5 lbs; Nicks 44 lbs including snacks on the scales of doom.
This was going to be hard work, especially running singlespeed. We were fully prepared to knuckle down and take on the challenge, taking no prisoners along the way. And cheat, obviously.

After the glittering awards ceremony that preceded the start, during which we were given beer for the most inappropriate bikes ever seen at the WRT (thanks Stu!) we left BB Towers and faced our first dilemma – right or left at the first junction. After not much deliberation we turned left towards Llanbrynmair. 3.5 miles later we arrived at the bus stop, with 5 minutes until the next bus….

After this arduous start we obviously needed a light lunch in Machynlleth. Wherever we went the bikes seemed to create interest, a good chat was had with a road rider at the café. He on an Ultegra equipped carbon machine he was nevertheless fascinated by the bikes and the contents of our bags.
We then rode as far as the station, pausing only to pick up some oil from the garage to try to bring Nicks gearing to life. Train to Fairbourne, then a short ride round to the Mawddach Trail and off to Dolgellau for a chippy tea!
I’d bivi’d at a spot along this trail before, so we returned there for the 1st night. Tents up in the dark, sleeping kit down. All good.

Sunday morning, off to Barmouth for some brekkie at Davy Jones Locker. And off to the station. Obviously. Not really fancying the A road north for very far we hopped up as far as Harlech, pushed the bikes up the stupiudly steep hill into the town - no matter what they tell you, that left folding pedal is actually to make pushing the bike less likely to knobble your shins. Except that Nick had swapped these for the widest set of flat pedals known to man.

Which was not all amusing.

For him.

The ride from Harlech up across the Cob and into Porthmadoc witnessed our arrival into some sort of wonderful parallel universe. Not once but twice did white BMW X5s not only wait patiently behind us until gaps appeared in the oncoming traffic, they also indicated (!) and passed right on the opposite side of the road. Obviously this couldn’t continue and were dragged back to reality by a blue BMW 5 series that behaved perfectly normally. For a BMW.
At this point we needed snacks again. All the decent establishments were over crowded, so we folded the bikes down again and visited Costa. Drinks and food consumed, a group of 4 or 5 riders parked up outside and came in. The Bromptons again prompted the conversation, they were doing a Welsh end to end and were glad to be in from the rain. We were leaving and heading straight to the station, they really looked as though they’d have happily joined us.
After another train trip back down to Barmouth we rode gently up and down the front to kill a little time and then decided a brew up was needed. An empty bench obliged and tea was had. It’s funny how “normal” people react to even slightly “unusual” goings on. And small gas stoves are apparently considered very unusual.
The plan was to return along the Mawddach Trail to the George III for a meal then back to the previous nights bivvy spot. The George had no space for food for us but we stayed for a pint. We then got chatting with a 6’7” 20 stone MTBer that wasn’t Ton! Despite being a lifelong rider he had heart issues and was getting by on knackered knees. He had a serious ebike! A full sus Riese & Muller bike with twin batteries and a belt driven Rohloff hub (with an idler sprocket to hold belt tension), complete with electronic shifting. An impressive beast! He’d been up Cader Idris on it that day and as happy as a dog with two dicks. Great to see.
Anyways, we carried on up Dol for our meals, before returning to the planned spot to camp.

Monday morning was perfect. It was one of those mornings that you might normally see only in those bikepacking lifestyle adverts. Life was good, I was contented and relaxed in a way that I hadn’t known for quite a while.
A short ride back to the nearest station and then on and back to Machynlleth. Breakfast now beckoned. We were soon replenished and on our way, only to catch up with Scott of the Woods after less than 50 yards. Turns out he’d had a better time than even us, having been “befriended” in the pub by a local farmer and his wife and invited back to stay the night with them.
The busses were not running on Monday. We had to ride back to BB Towers. Which we did! A route was set that bypassed the highest hill but was still plenty on loaded Bromptons, especially a single speed version. I managed to ride, Nick pushed but we got to the top. Snacks. And then down the other side. Turns out 38mph on a Brompton is quite scary! Back to BB Towers and tea and the fabled lemon drizzle cake. Job done!

ImageWelsh ride thing 2022 - the inappropriate Brompton ride! by Richard Picton, on Flickr

ImageWelsh ride thing 2022 - the inappropriate Brompton ride! by Richard Picton, on Flickr

Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
benp1

Re: A WRT on Bromptons.

Post by benp1 »

Brompton at the WRT, genius! I love my little brommie

Good job. Nice to make the most of buses and trains too!
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I very much like this.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Genius, I think?!
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Taylor wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:04 pm Genius, I think?!
I think so too! Inspired,even. It could be an option for us elderly types (I was going to say gentlemen but that would be stretching it a bit far) in the not too distant future. Aaand, you’d never have trouble getting on bus or train. Hmmm! I’ve always been drawn to a Brompton but never had a good enough reason to get one. This could be it. :-bd
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Well done men - Brompton plus bus plus train is a perfect combo. It's amazing how far you can ride with bivvy gear, and that it is indeed possible to carry all that gear on a Brom. I've done four 'gigpacking' outings on mine so far and more to come.

I can see a BHC group forming for the next WRT :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Loved that, top work gents :-bd
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Sounds like a fun time. Is that bivi spot on the estuary trail from Barmouth to Dolgellau? It looks familiar.
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

Thanks chaps, positive vibes all round!
We had a great time, completely unstressed.

The Brompton bag and my old Karrimor saddle bag easily carried all our gear, the Carradice bag carrier also allowed the bike to fold in the normal way.

There’s an awful lot of vids on YT about Brompton touring and carrying gear, and places like SJS cycles do conversion kits to run 20” wheels.

@RIP - Reg, a BBBB BHC (B team 😀?) would be bloody hilarious, somewhere flattish!

@PaulB2 - it is indeed along that trail, there’s a few usable spots and very quiet after dark.

#TakeLessBike

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I still would like to plan a Brompton packing adventure, with as much multi modal travel as possible. It's on my 'one day' list. For example, if you popped to the IOW, you could hovercraft, ferry and train, you could probably find a bus or two for extra amusement.

I've done gravel tracks on the Brompton but anything more than that and it gets a bit too interesting
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

benp1 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:31 am ....if you popped to the IOW
Hovercraft over.
Electric train Ryde to Smallbrook Junction
Steam train Smallbrook Junction to Wootton
Ride along the cycle path to Newport and then on to Cowes (pretty flat all the way)
Chain Ferrry to East Cowes
Bus back to Ryde
Fastcat ferry back to Portsmouth
Last edited by sean_iow on Wed May 04, 2022 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I love the idea of using various methods of transport, as the bike was intended. Brilliant.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Bravo. Was great to see you at the WRT and the Bromptons put a smile on my face, both at the time and reading the story. :grin:
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

Excellent idea brilliantly executed, well done gents!! :lol:
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
ton

Post by ton »

brilliant that Rich, proper brilliant. well done both of you. :-bd
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Heading to Barmouth via what some of us call FFS hill up from the Slate Quarries at Aberllefenni is another level of madness I must say.

#DoffsCap
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

Aah, sorry JC, we did go over a bloody big hill, but not that bloody big hill!

Walked over that before, not doing it with Brommies!

Thank you all for the kind words, maybe not such a dumb idea after all! It’s just what makes bike touring a bloody good thing to do!

@Zippy - thanks! It was great to see you out again as well, it’s been a while!
@Ton - thank you as well, it was a brilliant weekend

There’s also little ferries and steam railways without travelling too far, looks like we’re not finished yet!
Last edited by Pickers on Thu May 05, 2022 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
RIP

Post by RIP »

Pickers wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:33 pm little ferries
Little ferries you say? :smile: :-bd

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

There's a Brompton touring group I follow on Facebook, you'd fit in well.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Thanks pickers. I have an 85 mile commute in the morning the sunny scrboro. Had considered chucking in the towel between sleep stints and a mental (or short tempered and highly intelligent 7 year old who'll not go to sleep without much tantrums!) little un... But your report has inspired me. Depart at 0245ish...

Best part of the report being 'stove on bench'. I recall my own reception of funny looks well in the Yorkshire countryside...

:smile:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Pickers wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:29 am Thanks chaps, positive vibes all round!
We had a great time, completely unstressed.

The Brompton bag and my old Karrimor saddle bag easily carried all our gear, the Carradice bag carrier also allowed the bike to fold in the normal way.

There’s an awful lot of vids on YT about Brompton touring and carrying gear, and places like SJS cycles do conversion kits to run 20” wheels.

@RIP - Reg, a BBBB BHC (B team 😀?) would be bloody hilarious, somewhere flattish!

@PaulB2 - it is indeed along that trail, there’s a few usable spots and very quiet after dark.

#TakeLessBike
That carradice bag looked mint, I noted it when we chatted. how the savi g plan going for the Ti rear Triangle?
I hope Stus fence is still standing after all the bike props were suddenly removed. :o
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I hope Stus fence is still standing after all the bike props were suddenly removed. :o
Thankfully, not my fence that one :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Maybe we need a WRT 20" wheel club - I've a lovely ( :shock: ) singlespeed folder here that I rescued from a skip.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:13 am Maybe we need a WRT 20" wheel club - I've a lovely ( :shock: ) singlespeed folder here that I rescued from a skip.
Brommies are only a piddly little 16er though. Lots of kids bikes have bigger wheels!

Maybe a <26er club. All sorts might turn up :-)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Brommies are only a piddly little 16er though. Lots of kids bikes have bigger wheels!
Ooh my mistake Ben. I'd assumed 20".