Yey another sleeping bag thread!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

UnderTheRadars

Yey another sleeping bag thread!

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Forgive me, my search returned too common words and too many results.

What’s the BB sleeping bag of choice for spring to autumn use?

I suppose the minimum temperature rating needed would be about 1-4°C to cope with the cool temps early spring and late autumn.

Not over early fussed about weight, of course lower the better but pack size is more important for me, so small pack size (yes I suppose those two come hand in hand)

Synthetic, just for ease of (mis)use/care and budget (I’ve a big down winter bag) but not vital

Looking at £100-£150 range

Open to trying a quilt

I’m not overly tall (6ft/183cm) but looking at specs of say Alpkit I wouldn’t fit in their regular length bags?!
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Yey another sleeping bag thread!

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

There's not much available in the way of synthetic quilts but those made by Valley and Peak look good - although a little over budget. The Apex insulation they use is about as good as it gets. https://valleyandpeak.co.uk/brands/vall ... ssic-quilt

I see that Alpkit also have a new line of synthetic bags but I don't know much about them (ooh they appear to be sold out) but they have discounts on their others: https://alpkit.com/products/cloud-peak-300

The other favoured option tends to be something from the MH Lamina range.
May the bridges you burn light your way
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Thanks, yes I’ve been having a good look at the new, and other Alpkit bags, sadly the regular size maybe a little too short for me and no long sizes in stock (my down bag is an Alpkit, I fit fine in it however I don’t know what size it is as bought it in their factory sale many years ago).

I should’ve bought one of those bags you linked to in the bargain thread a few weeks back.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

MH Lamina do come in a longer length, are reasonably compact for their rating and often appear at discount. Try Rock & Run.

TBH I gave up on worrying about down. It seemed crazy that I had two nice down bags and was refusing to use them.

And I'll again recommend the Montane Prism trousers as a great way of boosting a lighter sleeping bag.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

TBH I gave up on worrying about down. It seemed crazy that I had two nice down bags and was refusing to use them.
Totally agree. I've never yet 'hurt' a down bag or rendered it useless.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

The valley peak quilts are impressive and pack down pretty small
Seems well made. Mine was over the weight they stated forget by how much 50g or so.
Not much else available in synthetic at that temp/price/weight you want thermarest space cowboy is the only one I can think of and might not be warm enough
I only use synthetic( ethics not damp) and there is much less availability
Al

Post by Al »

I’m 6’1” and have used a standard alpkit pipe dream 400 for years with no problem if that helps.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Liteway and Gramxpert are also worth a look if you're interested in trying an Apex quilt ..

https://www.gramxpert.eu/
https://liteway.equipment/quilts

Liteway are in the Ukraine but I believe they've relocated a few times and are still managing to get orders out.

Apart from V&P UK synthetic options are pretty much limited to Primaloft alternatives, very similar to Apex but apparently less durable long term. There might be some decent deals on past season OMM bags which would bring them into budget.

I'm still a fan of down quilts and bags although I do own an As Tucas Apex quilt also, I think it's pretty hard to get a down bag so wet that it renders it useless, weight and pack size is usually the main driver on which bag I take on a trip, especially on the bike. I have a couple of PHD bags with a waterproof shell fabric and hydrophobic down which are ideal inside a clammy bivvy bag, big bucks though