Tell me about swimming!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Tell me about swimming!

Post by redefined_cycles »

Apologies for the title but after looking into ultrarmarathoning and running in general as a means of being fit enough for the next BB200 (sorry, yes, I'm a bit slow but it's my favourite event... thanks Stu/Dee) I think I've conceded for the moment that I probably need to take a step back. Will hopefully aim for a marathon in a years time and who knows.

Anyway, so today I've started swimming again. Previously done in a leisurely context but it's something that our prophet ((sorry, you know who you are!) Muhammed (sallallahuAlayhiwasallam) taught us is one of the best sports. Anyway, so when I went down and asked the lady what's the swimming equivalent of a marathon she looked at me a bit funny. Did the swim, came out feeling good and then googled it. Seems it's undecided but about 10k open water swim seem about right.

Not sure if I'm open water material but just wanted to gauge anyone else' experience of using swimming as the main multi sport for strength and being more planted and endurable (sorry) on the bike...

Any info is good
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Tell me about swimming!

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

All you need to know right here* Shaf. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9FsEi2us88

*it'll being back memories for some I'm sure.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jobro

Post by jobro »

I did this while Ironman training many years ago -

https://www.outdoorswimmingsociety.com/dart-10k/

It does have a current pushing you all the way!

Outdoor Swimming https://www.outdoorswimmingsociety.com list a lot of the longer events. Lake District swims must be up your way.

IMHO there are no useful transferable skills or strengths from swimming to cycling. Running maybe!!
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I echo jobro. We used to dread triathletes turning up for our Sunday rides. They’d always die on their arse after about 30 miles of half wheeling.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

jobro wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:54 pm

IMHO there are no useful transferable skills or strengths from swimming to cycling.
Absolutely this.

I think there may be some benefit from cold water acclimatisation relating to outdoor activities in general. There are (for many) some mental health benefits from cold water immersion too. From general swimming, I fail to see how it would help your bike fitness much, if at all.
redefined_cycles

Oh dear... that's messed up my plans of strengthening my joints without doing injury by lots of swimming instead of running. Back to the drawing boards :grin:

Dave, all the fears of injury from running have slowly put me off or at least taught me to tread alot more carefully and slowly. :smile:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:55 pm

Dave, all the fears of injury from running have slowly put me off or at least taught me to tread alot more carefully and slowly. :smile:
Fears of injury, or actual injury?
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:56 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:55 pm

Fears of injury, or actual injury?
I've just recovered from the bike injury (overuse 240 miler with a 2 hour bivy in between mid December) you see Colin. Historically I always get them niggly pains after something has healed and now the knee has done just that I really don't wanna knacker myself then be stuck...

Back pain has all gone (chronic, which I used to manage with the cycling as the stretched position must've helped) though after starting to slowly go without all my foot pronation-insoles stuff. Trying to make the transition to 0 drop over the next year hopefully and at work just wear my Clark's now without insoles and it's a game changer!

Maybe I'm just taking it too slow and just need to get out there and on with it :smile:

Swimming felt good and am glad that a marathon/10k isn't gonna do me much for the biking. Might just explore indoor swimming anyway and see how I go :grin:
redefined_cycles

NB. Regards the 240 miler. 210 miles was fine. The insoles were the merino ones for winter and hence didn't have my regular stabilising ones on. Outer knee kinda gave up with 30 miles left but it was for charity and a few donations pushed me back on the bike and suddenly able to ride again. Then with 2 miles left it totally gave in and I just walked it... Walking was fine and still is.

Taken since middle of December until about the middle of Feb for the pain to subside but still get (slight) niggles here and there. Cancelled the £50 per session physio appntnmt as the pain had gone by the time it was my turn :smile: ... saved myself £50 :lol:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:49 pm All you need to know right here* Shaf. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9FsEi2us88

F'ing Mike :cry:
redefined_cycles

thenorthwind wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:50 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:49 pm All you need to know right here* Shaf. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9FsEi2us88

F'ing Mike :cry:
:lol: wondered why stu was serious for a mo...
Sussex Paul

Post by Sussex Paul »

I’ve started swimming more recently, I’m sure it’s improving my upper body and core strength, which helps with biking.
Boab

Post by Boab »

10KM, preferably open water, is generally considered the same. If you're feeling brave, then you can up that to 25KM. I swam for years and all it did was improve my cardiovascular ability and feck my shoulders. Swimming is all about technique, if you have sub standard technique, then you're just heading for more injuries.

I've swum 10KM multiple times, once in the pool in the morning before work, just for shits and giggles. One of the most boring things I've ever done, and I love a bit of pool swimming.

Get yourself a copy of Outdoor Swimmer, they list loads of open water events in the back. Or just sign up for the Great North Swim, part with an eye watering amount of money and get on with it.

Edit: As others have said, most of the gains you make in swimming are NOT transferable to running or cycling, it will however, keep you fit if you can't do either of the others.
Last edited by Boab on Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Are you doing this because you can’t cycle far/much at the moment? Because riding more is going to be the best way to get better at cycling.
Anyway, as I’ve said before, you don’t need to get better at cycling to bag a Black Badge,you just need to get better at stopping less :-bd
Hope you get back to full strength soon buddy, otherwise you may be posting ‘Tell me about EliptiGO’ soon :lol:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Boab wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:30 am

Edit: As others have said, most of the gains you make in swimming are transferable to running or cycling, it will however, keep you fit if you can't do either of the others.
I think you missed a "not" in there...
redefined_cycles

lune ranger wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:39 am Are you doing this because you can’t cycle far/much at the moment? Because riding more is going to be the best way to get better at cycling.
Anyway, as I’ve said before, you don’t need to get better at cycling to bag a Black Badge,you just need to get better at stopping less :-bd
Hope you get back to full strength soon buddy, otherwise you may be posting ‘Tell me about EliptiGO’ soon :lol:
Yes. Getting there slowly thanks Luke :smile:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

lune ranger wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:39 am Are you doing this because you can’t cycle far/much at the moment? Because riding more is going to be the best way to get better at cycling.
I know the UK Eliptigo guy if you want to be put in touch. He holds the LeJOG record for it.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Does your mindset need "big goals" Shaf? It seems to (for all you can tell from a few posts 🙄). However maybe this is a bit "eyes bigger than belly", sometimes. The outcome in these instances not being a gut-busting feeling but fatigue injuries?

Sometimes less is more. A focus on quality of movement and performance rather than quantity might lead to better physical wellbeing in the longer term. However, good technique needs either high levels of personal insight or external coaching/guidance (or both). However, as you dont seem to have bothered with a physio after a significant fatigue injury I wonder how that might work for you.

Maybe try yoga or even a programme from GMB fitness (friends and my sometime yogi have been very complimentary)?

IMO, YMMV and HYOH :cool:
ton

Post by ton »

back in the late 80's and early 90's is was a regular triathlete......... i know it is hard to believe.
my best time for swimming a mile outdoors was 26 minutes, which i was always pleased with.
not been swimming for over 10 years, so last summer i went with some old rugby mates, who do regular open water swimming.
we did a mile, and it took me 45 minutes. i had to swim most of it doggie paddle, as i couldnt get my stroke/breathing right for the front crawl. i was proper done in after it, far worse than a bike ride.
i have not been since. :oops: :oops:
redefined_cycles

Thanks Tim... Yes, you're right and I am indeed taking it steady and building up rather slowly. Just realised after all these years of just cycling I need to do some variety and short bursts are boring and painful :smile:

I never said I didn't consult a physio. I consulted about 5, just never paid for one as I'd gotten on top of the knee by the time it was appntmpt week and the £50 was better spent elsewhere. Plus, I really do doubt the physio would have said 'oh, you're going bear-foot now, oh yes, do it's :lol:

In the bear-foot (sorry) dept I've been consulting various people in the know via podcasts and book-worming and making the transition to 0drop soles over the course of a year.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

My apologies for the physio misunderstanding 😎
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Thanks for the trip back in time, Norm 😃