Stupid, genius, or will I die...?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Stupid, genius, or will I die...?

Post by Boab »

While plodding around the country lanes yesterday, I was pondering how and when I'm going to build like Scandal v2 frame up. The sticking points for a minimum viable bike, are wheels and some sort of front fork, either rigid or bouncy. I suddenly remembered I still have the fork and wheels off my old Calibre Dune. If I could fit the fork and front wheel to the Scandal, then I'd only need to source a single rear wheel to get up and running. I think a 4.8" Jumbo Jim on a 26" rim is probably equivalent to running a 2.4" or there about tyre on a 29" wheel.

Just because I can, doesn't mean I should. So, genius idea, stupid idea, or don't you'll die idea...?
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
psling

Re: Stupid, genius, or will I die...?

Post by psling »

You won't know the answer unless you try it and if you die as a result then well, you won't care anyway but at your wake they'll be either toasting "good old Bob, he was a genius you know" or "good old Bob, he was ...." :shock: :wink:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Half fat was a "thing" in the infancy of fatbiking. Quite a few Jones's were set up like that (with a 4" tyre). No reason not to try it but it was a fad that didn't seem to last.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I doubt you'll die, but it's not genius ...... :grin:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

A mate still runs half fat, albeit with a 26er rear end. It looks a bit odd but works remarkably well. Do it, post pics and let the cognoscenti decide if it looks good :grin:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

This was a thing about 10 years ago, remember Charlie the bike monger selling a package of Mukluk forks and a fat wheel to go into 26inch bikes.

Don’t think it really took off though…
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I did it to an Inbred tears ago (similar geo to a Scandal) ... worked okay.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

Jeff Jones said it was a better set up than full fat or full 29 for technical riding on a rigid bike. Only one man's opinion but I'd give his opinion plenty of weight.
Not tried it myself but a B+ / 29 combo on a Ramin felt promising. The trails locally didn't really justify it though. And they were often wet and sloppy which is where I wasn't so keen on fat tyres.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Thanks all! It was idle speculation, but I feel I might have to give this ago now...
Anyone got a 29" QR rear wheel going spare...?
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I had my jones like that it was 2.35 29er rear and 4.3 surly Edna up front and it was pretty much the same size the previous 3.8 tyre was a bit small , but I reckon a 2.4 rear 4.8 front would be great 👍
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

I’ve had a number of bikes run as fat front, my Jones, my singular swift and my scandal. It works remarkably well. I now have the Jones as 650b+ and a Singular Rooster 29+. The swift frame cracked, the Scandal was stolen :(
I have fat forks and front wheel available …
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:35 am Half fat was a "thing" in the infancy of fatbiking. Quite a few Jones's were set up like that (with a 4" tyre). No reason not to try it but it was a fad that didn't seem to last.
In fact I know of this exact setup being for sale in the classifieds…

Anyway - 29x2.2 is a bit bigger than 26x4, but not enough to be noticeable.