Outdry delamination

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

Outdry delamination

Post by thenorthwind »

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, given the love for them on here, and whether anyone's had any success repairing it. My jacket's 3.5 years old now, and has had a fairly tough life, being well used, though I've always looked after it as best I can - it's never seen the inside of a washing machine.

There was a sizeable tear on the hood where it's delaminated and the fragile outer layer has ripped where it's separated. I patched it with Tear-Aid, which worked well and looked neat, but now it's ripped around the patch where the tension has been move to a different spot. The seam tape is also coming off in a few places.

Need to get some more Seam Grip, as that's holding well on a small tear where I caught it a couple of years ago, but wondering whether I'm only delaying the inevitable. Shame, I thought I'd finally found a waterproof shell that's actually durable, but I guess nothing lasts forever.

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Outdry delamination

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not seen that before Dave. Me, I'd have a word with Columbia ... nowt may come of it but you never know.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Has it ever been stashed away wet for a long time? You can sometimes get delamination on these plastic fabrics if they're not allowed to dry thoroughly
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Aye, you might be right Stu. Just looked at the response from when I contacted them about a possible issue (the little dots coming off, doesn't seem to have been a problem really) two years ago, and this, while not necessarily a showstopper, does not bode well:
Columbia Sportswear offers a warranty of two years as from the date of purchase. The warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship in outerwear manufactured by our Company.

We don’t warranty and are not responsible for damages caused by misuse, abuse, accidents, the natural breakdown of materials over time, or problems that may be reasonably expected with normal wear or failure to follow Outerwear care instructions.

As you bought your product less than two years ago, we invite you to get in touch with the retailer where you bought the product.

The stores and partners we deal with are aware of our warranty policy and are pleased to help our consumers with their faulty products.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Shewie wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:42 pm Has it ever been stashed away wet for a long time? You can sometimes get delamination on these plastic fabrics if they're not allowed to dry thoroughly
Nope.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:26 pm Not seen that before Dave. Me, I'd have a word with Columbia ... nowt may come of it but you never know.
Like Stuart says have a word with them and let us know what they say please.

Mine one of the first and it's still as good as new
Mart

Post by Mart »

New ones under £90 vie Trekinn :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Updating this since I keep seeing recommendations for Outdry, and indeed keep recommending them myself, mainly since no-one else seems to have had this problem.

I was reluctant to try and press Columbia for a warranty replacement, as the chances of them doing that seem slim, and I don't really want to be without the jacket for any length of time, or send it to them only for them to refuse and charge me to send it back. So I finally sent them some photos with no mention or expectation of a warranty situation, to see what they say about why it's happened, and whether it's likely to happen if I buy another.

This is one of the photos I sent them. As you can see, it's got considerably worse since my last post, and I haven't got round to seam sealing it, since I was pondering sending it back.

Their initial reply was:
Over the years, due to the thermal phenomena, the characteristics of the membrane can begin to deteriorate: this ageing phenomenon is unfortunately natural and explains why the jacket is now damaged.
They suggested I buy a new jacket, and offered me a 20% discount code as goodwill.

"Thermal phenomema" to me sounds like "we don't really know what's wrong and/or we're subtly pushing the blame onto you and using some technical words so it sounds impressive", so I pressed them for more details. Is the suggestion I'd let the jacket get too hot, or too cold?
I will better explain what I meant for thermal phenomena, for example if you leave the jacket in the back-sit of a car behind a window when it's sunny, or fold it when it's not totally dry and as well use softer to wash it.
I mean I've probably left it in a warm placeto dry on occasion, but never in the sun for days, or anywhere really hot (it drys really quickly, being non-absorbent, which helps in this, and is one of its attractions). I may have rolled it up and stuck it on my seat pack still damp after rain, but never for very long, and if you can't do that, what's the point in having a jacket? Also never been washed in anything other than water, and very occasionally pure soap.

I also asked if a new jacket was likely to go the same way after the same length of time. This one is a "Outdry Ex Eco Tech Shell" which is made out of recycled material, and doesn't seem to be available any longer. I wondered whether this fabric was a bit sub-optimal, given the recycled material, or just earlier in its development, and was giving them the chance to say this, but they haven't answered that part of my query, despite me making clear that me buying a new jacket is dependent on this. They did say
You can follow those instructions for the jacket I indicated you [OutDry Extreme™ Mesh Waterproof Shell Jacket] as well in order to make it last several years.
which isn't very helpful.

So I'm bit in two minds as to whether to buy another one eventually. I've gone radge with the seam sealer, but I don't think I'll get much more than another year out of it, though it is still remarkably waterproof - more waterproof than any other jacket I've had after 4 years, which I suppose should answer the question.

Still keen to know if anyone else has had the same issue, or has got the same amount of use out of one (and what version) without it?
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I've got a small amount of delamitation on mine but nowhere near as much as you have on yours.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

It’s normally sweat that causes the inside of jackets to delaminate (so I’ve been told), so normally around the neck area are first to go (bare skin too). Hence why even some lightweight jackets with have some micro fleece on the neck/collar areas
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Nothing that I've seen on mine though they don't sound like they've had as much use as yours, However, I do sweat more than the average bear, in the tropics, in a sauna suit ;-)

Can't say I've checked recently though so will do so and report back if showing.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Thanks for the feedback.
Didn't know that about sweat, interesting.
pushirons

Post by pushirons »

Thought I’d just add my experience of late with Patagonia here. I bought one of their H2No fabric jackets in 2018 and earlier this year the tape began to come off the seams. The fabric was still really waterproof. I emailed them to asked what the best way to repair it was and they said they would repair it for me for free. Long story short they decided a repair wouldn’t be to their satisfaction when I sent it back and sent me a brand new jacket and recycled my old one. No request for purchase info or how I’d washed it etc just really impressive customer service. The bad bit was it did take about 4months to sort out, but they did warn me before I sent it off.
shutupthepunx

Post by shutupthepunx »

ive got a fairly large amount of delamination on the shoulders
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Rucksac straps ? Presumably a more sweaty area ?
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

thenorthwind wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:04 am Thanks for the feedback.
Didn't know that about sweat, interesting.
Do you use any face/hair products that could be coming into contact with the hood/neck area?

Seems odd that it’s only happening there so just thinking about what might be different for that part of the jacket.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

thenorthwind wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:13 pm Shame, I thought I'd finally found a waterproof shell that's actually durable, but I guess nothing lasts forever.
In my experience, only 2 waterproof fabrics were durable, neoprene and PeterStorms original PU coated fabrics, where the coating penetratd the textile (fabric) outer.
Unfortunately neither are breathable
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

"Thermal phenomena" = sweaty bastard?

"Gan radge" - well said......
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Mine’s delaminating quite badly on the back of the hood. Not been washed, left wet, sweated on or toasted. It has been rolled up now and then. Still seems remarkably waterproof. I’m sticking with it for now and will buy another to replace it when it eventually dies.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

boxelder wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:12 pm "Thermal phenomena" = sweaty bastard?
Will remember this euphemism for future use :grin:

Thanks for sharing folks, seems like I'm not alone.

I realised a possible cause this weekend - I often carry a camera and use the neck strap (usually without any weight on it as the camera is clipped to my rucksack strap, but still).

Now it's sealed up it kept me bone dry even in some pretty heavy rain this weekend, so will keep an eye out for a decent deal on one (that isn't white) and keep this going as long as I can.