So this is who lights fires ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

Re: So this is who lights fires ...

Post by lune ranger »

Playing devils advocate one could argue that if you are going to have a fire outdoors in the UK the beach - below the average high tide line - is really the only responsible place to do so. However, given the overwhelming outdoors = fire thing in social media and advertising, the only responsible thing to do is to stop featuring fires in social
Media and advertising imo.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

but do you even know if it is actually a fire in that picture?
No but it's doing a very good impression of one which is all that matters - especially if you're using it as a promotional weapon.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

the only responsible thing to do is to stop featuring fires in social
Media and advertising imo.
I've spent years saying the very same Luke. Many people won't see a fire and then put it into some sort of context, they'll simply see it as a green light.
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

woodsmith wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:13 am
Cheddar Man wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:02 am
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:42 pm ... outside bothies. Peregrine clothing doing a fashion shoot for Travel & Leisure magazine ... w@nkers.

It's great to chuck out some insults, but do you even know if it is actually a fire in that picture? I have googled for others, but I can't see any fire, happy to stand corrected if there is.
It could just be some kind of smoke pellets but that's irrelevant as it's the image of camp fires which is being portrayed and will be copied.
But the picture/advert clothing is saying 'look, even ethnic minority lonely shepherds with a wildly inappropriate sheepdog trust Peregrine clothing to keep them warm and comfortable, even when cut off from the trappings of modern life', not 'Quick, buy a hipster suit and a fancy jumper, then go and start a fire in the middle of nowhere'!
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Stayed there 2 weeks ago, the probable reason why there's smoke & not much flame, is that the pile of logs in the woodstore is damp.
The pandemic hasn't been kind to this bothy, there's graffiti all over the inside & on the front door, the door into the 'main room' is missing- presumed burnt, the stove is in a very poor condition & the gas+gas stove has gone.
We gave it all a brush through & took a full black bag of rubbish out.
I've always had mixed feelings about seeing the woodstore filled each season, it just seemed too easy to abuse with people building bonfires outside :sad:
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The less said about that Cotic ad, the better.
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

*holds hand up*

I own a couple of Peregrine jumpers
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Cheddar Man wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:56 am
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:42 pm ... outside bothies. Peregrine clothing doing a fashion shoot for Travel & Leisure magazine ... w@nkers.

It's great to chuck out some insults, but do you even know if it is actually a fire in that picture? I have googled for others, but I can't see any fire, happy to stand corrected if there is.
It could just be some kind of smoke pellets but that's irrelevant as it's the image of camp fires which is being portrayed and will be copied.
But the picture/advert clothing is saying 'look, even ethnic minority lonely shepherds with a wildly inappropriate sheepdog trust Peregrine clothing to keep them warm and comfortable, even when cut off from the trappings of modern life', not 'Quick, buy a hipster suit and a fancy jumper, then go and start a fire in the middle of nowhere'!
I'm not sure where you got the 'look.... ethnic minorities' bit from to be honest. I really didn't translate it like that (ethnic minorities trust peregrine in the middle of nowhere'. Think they just did a promotional fashionista type ad :???:
Diesel73

Post by Diesel73 »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:19 pm Blimey Charley, and I thought the '80's was the lowest of the low, fashion wise....
I'll stick to my jeans and black t shirt I think....
I always thought that the '60's had worst fashion/ hair do. lol
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

UnderTheRadars wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:17 pm *holds hand up*

I own a couple of Peregrine jumpers
STONE HIM! :wink:
RIP

Re: So this is who lights firhes ...

Post by RIP »

Worst 'fashion'? Nah, 70s by a mile. Flares, high-heeled zip sided boots for blokes, lapels wider than the actual shirt, flowery shirts, Jason King moustaches..... my decade :wink: .

Or possibly the 2020's - what a mess of 'styles' :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've never owned a Peregrine Jumper but I have worn a Donkey Jacket.
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

UnderTheRadars wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:03 pm Image
weed head? :lol:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

I have worn a Donkey Jacket.
You should’ve got the one with the plastic patches then...
Give the dirt a little room.
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:58 pm
Cheddar Man wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:56 am

I'm not sure where you got the 'look.... ethnic minorities' bit from to be honest. I really didn't translate it like that (ethnic minorities trust peregrine in the middle of nowhere'. Think they just did a promotional fashionista type ad :???:
And you think they used an ethnic minority model because he was the only model free on the day when they did the shoot? Nothing is an accident in the world of advertising, they know their target demographic for any particular campaign, and aim at it with a snipers eye.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:43 am The less said about that Cotic ad, the better.
Oh I dunno, it made me laugh a bit :grin:
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

At the risk of being drummed out of the Brownies... has anyone thought of putting a "strongly worded email" into the advertising standards mob explaining the issue and asking if there is anything they can do to influence this? Given the global increase in wild fires and the reporting on them along with the focus on that I'd have thought a strong case could be made. It could be another tick box on the must not include check list which is every bit as important as the must include checklist for the advertising people?
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

AndreR wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:07 pm At the risk of being drummed out of the Brownies... has anyone thought of putting a "strongly worded email" into the advertising standards mob explaining the issue and asking if there is anything they can do to influence this? Given the global increase in wild fires and the reporting on them along with the focus on that I'd have thought a strong case could be made. It could be another tick box on the must not include check list which is every bit as important as the must include checklist for the advertising people?
Maybe start closer to home and get this event looked into https://bikepacking.com/event/bam-campf ... tion-2021/

Or this blog https://www.facebook.com/BikepackingJourney/

This company advertises that you will be having campfires https://www.gutsygirls.co.uk/bikepackin ... -cotswolds

Or complain about this book to the publishers, look at the picture! http://www.heason.net/reviews/2017/07/2 ... ublishing/

Come on, it's a photo shoot for a clothing company, they are not responsible for the increasing wild fire situation. If anything, the links above are much more flagrant examples of 'go and start a fire outdoorsism', in fact the 3rd will even teach you how to do it!
Verena

Post by Verena »

Bearlegged wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:20 pm https://www.peregrineclothing.co.uk/exp ... ceability/
We want you to be excited about where you buy your clothes so that’s why we are a 100% made in England brand.
*Holds photoshoot in Wales*
Fashion is the second biggest polluting industry in the world. We know we’re a part of this, and while we don’t believe we can ever call ourselves ‘sustainable’ for producing new products, we intend to do the best we possibly can...
*Sets fire to Wales*
:lol:
Verena

Post by Verena »

Ray Young wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:59 pm I'm wondering how many fires will be going on the forthcoming Guinness book of records mass bivi event tomorrow? I shudder to think.
I know.... that has occurred to me too.... :sad: I would look on facebook but I really ought to get some sleep....
Linkpin

Post by Linkpin »

Cheddar Man wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:47 am And you think they used an ethnic minority model because he was the only model free on the day when they did the shoot? Nothing is an accident in the world of advertising, they know their target demographic for any particular campaign, and aim at it with a snipers eye.
I don't really get why the model's ethnicity is relevant. Are you saying the main market for Peregrine clothing is ethnic minorities?

As to the fires, unfortunately there are a few books on the market that begin by talking about responsible ways to wild camp then include pictures of fires accompanying their route guides etc.
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

Linkpin wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:06 am
Cheddar Man wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:47 am And you think they used an ethnic minority model because he was the only model free on the day when they did the shoot? Nothing is an accident in the world of advertising, they know their target demographic for any particular campaign, and aim at it with a snipers eye.
I don't really get why the model's ethnicity is relevant. Are you saying the main market for Peregrine clothing is ethnic minorities?

As to the fires, unfortunately there are a few books on the market that begin by talking about responsible ways to wild camp then include pictures of fires accompanying their route guides etc.
The ethnicity of the model is relevant because the advert is challenging the stereotype of a lonely shepherd. It is an image of a strong man, happy with the situation he finds himself in with his faithful dog as a companion, all while being warm and comfortable in clothing that will keep out the elements of the rugged hills. A fire to keep him warm and fed will be completely appropriate.

They are less appropriate on a cycling trip in the woods, but if you are thinking of going on an adventure on a bike with the thought of having a campfire, are you more likely to reach for a bikepacking book which includes many pictures of fires or a Peregrine clothing catalogue?

So complaining about the advert as suggested here, seems wildly disproportionate when there are so many other sites/books/Facebook pages etc which no-one has raised as an issue at all!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Cheddar Man wrote: so many other sites/books/Facebook pages etc which no-one has raised as an issue at all!
That's only because we haven't got round to them yet.

It's like saying one can't criticise someone for dropping a sweet wrapper in the street when there's whole landfill sites full of stuff that should never have been dumped and need criticising. Pointless whataboutery.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

which no-one has raised as an issue at all!
Completely wrong ... many have had a critical finger pointed at them over the years. Authors and publishers have been contacted. Bloggers and 'infuencers' have been questioned as have outdoor manufacturers and shops. This is just another example and in no way a one-off and nor is the criticism leveled at it. However, the initial post was highlighting 'fires outside bothies' which is becoming a particular issue.
The ethnicity of the model is relevant because the advert is challenging the stereotype of a lonely shepherd. It is an image of a strong man, happy with the situation he finds himself in with his faithful dog as a companion, all while being warm and comfortable in clothing that will keep out the elements of the rugged hills. A fire to keep him warm and fed will be completely appropriate.
I'm kind of sure it's nothing more than marketing bollox designed to provide a romantic yet unrealistic notion of life in the Welsh hills in an effort to sell stuff. :wink: