So this is who lights fires ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: So this is who lights fires ...

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A couple of final things from me .... Shaf told me that he wouldn't be offended if I wanted to remove the link to the video. The reasons I didn't were (a) Point 3 in the video for those who watched it and (b) I'm a great believer in the fact there is no one single 'truth'. You may wholeheartedly believe that what you think is the truth, yet someone may have a view which is the complete opposite and they too believe theirs is the 'truth'. Live your life with open eyes, a questioning mind and an honest heart.

... and to get us back on track, I believe the photograph is no longer been used by Peregrine Clothing.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:38 pm ... and to get us back on track, I believe the photograph is no longer been used by Peregrine Clothing.
Woo hoo Stu!

Better start on world peace next then chief :wink:
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:38 pm A couple of final things from me .... Shaf told me that he wouldn't be offended if I wanted to remove the link to the video. The reasons I didn't were (a) Point 3 in the video for those who watched it and (b) I'm a great believer in the fact there is no one single 'truth'. You may wholeheartedly believe that what you think is the truth, yet someone may have a view which is the complete opposite and they too believe theirs is the 'truth'. Live your life with open eyes, a questioning mind and an honest heart.

... and to get us back on track, I believe the photograph is no longer been used by Peregrine Clothing.
Just to be clear before everyone celebrates the removal of the offending picture from the Peregrine website........... It was never for their website, it was for this online magazine, where it sits proudly!
https://www.travelandleisure.com/style/ ... ng-fashion

Best hold off on sorting world peace just yet.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just to be clear before everyone celebrates the removal of the offending picture from the Peregrine website
Yes, I said in the OP that I believed it was a shot intended for an on-line magazine but I was actually 'celebrating' the fact they'd removed their social media posts with it on. Maybe they'll now consider things a little bit more in the future. You can but hope / try.
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:35 pm
Just to be clear before everyone celebrates the removal of the offending picture from the Peregrine website
Yes, I said in the OP that I believed it was a shot intended for an on-line magazine but I was actually 'celebrating' the fact they'd removed their social media posts with it on. Maybe they'll now consider things a little bit more in the future. You can but hope / try.
Ironically it is still available on Facebook if you search for Peregrine clothing!

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q= ... 20clothing
Mr conners

Post by Mr conners »

Hiking Chic?

I'm obviously getting old.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ironically it is still available on Facebook if you search for Peregrine clothing!
Well, perhaps someone else will ask them to take it down and explain that using it, isn't really a responsible thing to do ... especially by a company who appears to pride itself on doing the 'right' thing.
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:58 pm
Well, perhaps someone else will ask them to take it down and explain that using it, isn't really a responsible thing to do ... especially by a company who appears to pride itself on doing the 'right' thing.
It's on the BearBones page :lol:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

is this balanced coverage firefighter and peregrine clothing.
Attachments
IMG_03032022_220447_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg
IMG_03032022_220447_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg (61.32 KiB) Viewed 2755 times
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
psling

Post by psling »

That article in Travel & Leisure linked to above is actually pretty good reading! Mind you, some of their clothing is a real eye-opener to a world beyond my experience. It's a toss-up between one of their jackets or a new full-sus bike; I think I'll go for the new bike - it's cheaper.... :o
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

The North Face sponsored post this week on the ‘gram, the week the countryside is having a lot of brush fires :roll:
Attachments
AC147D96-AC28-4EF6-9897-C85DE6A6F798.jpeg
AC147D96-AC28-4EF6-9897-C85DE6A6F798.jpeg (167.39 KiB) Viewed 2598 times
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

The irony is the utter lack of utility that fire provides. It offers him no heat, light or cooking benefit (he has a stove). It simply says “please mash my goolies with multiple fists”. Is there an anti fire hashtag?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Don't worry Dave, someone will be along shortly questioning whether it's a real fire .... and thereby missing the point entirely :-bd
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

It's not real ( nothing to burn nor rocks to make the pit is ) and not required
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's not real ( nothing to burn nor rocks to make the pit is ) and not required
Once again but in English John? :wink:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Dave makes a good point - you'd never pitch up right next to a fire as the sparks would melt holes in your bag or tarp, further rendering a fire completely useless.

And following on from Stuarts comment, maybe a fake fire is the solution. Something fairly compact and light that inflates into a full blown fire pit, complete with sparky lights for that roaring conflagration effect, much like those electric fires you got in the '70's. Totally safe, achieves that 'round the fire companionship and good cheer' effect and doesn't require an hour of faffing to get going. :-bd
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

fatbikephil wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:56 pm Dave makes a good point - you'd never pitch up right next to a fire as the sparks would melt holes in your bag or tarp, further rendering a fire completely useless.

And following on from Stuarts comment, maybe a fake fire is the solution. Something fairly compact and light that inflates into a full blown fire pit, complete with sparky lights for that roaring conflagration effect, much like those electric fires you got in the '70's. Totally safe, achieves that 'round the fire companionship and good cheer' effect and doesn't require an hour of faffing to get going. :-bd
It's a thing!
Fakey outdoor Fire®™ fire from Trump enterprises...?
A thing link... Devils [fake] indoor fire
but where do you plug* it in?
do you need an 110v/240..adaptor?

*round the back of the camera. Its all 'Faked up' in a film studio set cos they're all models Fake rocks , fake grass fake scenery, fake type 1.99 fun etc. Powered by scam power, which also powers the Internet?
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

From the same photoshoot?

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

"This individual adhered to the advice, guidelines and rules in the local area when it comes to campfires"

Firstly - bollox ^ and secondly, that's not really the issue is it?
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

I really like Simon and his videos, it’s a shame about the campfires

https://youtu.be/1WCaFPWpChg
RIP

Post by RIP »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-60873573

"controlled burn which 'escalated'... people are being irresponsible in lighting the fires and not doing it in a controlled manner"...

"Yes it's legal"... Righto.

One of many in North Wales recently.... "A huge wildfire which engulfed a hillside was finally brought under control more than 24 hours after it spread from a controlled burn. On Friday evening (March 25) the hillside at Rhyd Uchaf above Bala was aflame and it took until early on Saturday afternoon for the inferno to be declared manageable. Forty-five fire personnel were deployed until the light faded last night and a further 25 people arrived this morning soon after 6am to continue the operation. But it wasn't until early this afternoon that the incident was said to be under control".

But some punches being pulled since "it's legal"? :

"All this lovely dry weather we're all enjoying has meant we've got landowners and farmers who need to use fire as part of their land management..... we understand why it's happening, it is in the burn season, the weather is absolutely spot on for doing the activities that people want to do on their land"...

Also legal of course: "In addition, the Secretary of State may also issue licences for the burning of heather on blanket bog... for a 'conservation' [yes, my quotes] purpose".....

But those campers....

My name's Ben Elton, goodnight.....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

An area of pine woods I walk the dog in has about ten fire pits spread about. It gets used regularly by young uns having a fire, underage drinkers having a fire and others camping overnight and I doubt it will ever get stopped. This morning I found one with several large logs still smouldering merrily away. What got me though was the fact there was a river not ten feet away from the fire and loads of empty pop bottles lying around so it could easily have been extinguished properly. Some people, :roll: .
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What got me though was the fact there was a river not ten feet away from the fire and loads of empty pop bottles lying around so it could easily have been extinguished properly. Some people, :roll:
True (and sad) Ray but how many times do you see litter on the floor two paces from a bin?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Massive fire covering Gruinard Island - started by the land managers. If you know anything about the history of this place then you'll appreciate the resultant health concerns of some of the locals
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:00 pm Massive fire covering Gruinard Island - started by the land managers. If you know anything about the history of this place then you'll appreciate the resultant health concerns of some of the locals
Just got back in and saw a piece about it - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-60892350
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry