So this is who lights fires ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

tobasco

Re: So this is who lights fires ...

Post by tobasco »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:00 pm Massive fire covering Gruinard Island - started by the land managers. If you know anything about the history of this place then you'll appreciate the resultant health concerns of some of the locals
Makes me wonder if there are still Anthrax spores around. I mean, they aren’t burning the scrub for the grouse shooting, I guess.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Oh, Stu, I thought you'd enjoy a subscription to this informative periodical: https://campfiremag.co.uk/ .

Some excellent articles, including the one that brought me to their site: "How to insulate your tent". Well I suppose anyone that thinks a campfire will keep you warm will think that trying to 'insulate' a tent is a good idea.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Aye that was the one I spotted - bad ones at Y Fron and on Nantlle Ridge too.

That DailyPost page showed that Pete's Eats is up for sale. Was a bit Fawlty Towers when I was there last summer I must say.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

In view of the climate crisis isn't time that this practice of burning was stopped? Or could it possibly be that it'll never happen as the average cabinet minister enjoys blasting away at grouse far too much?
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

On the other end of the scale the ‘management’ of grouse moorland is also responsible for large scale flooding such as that seen in Hebden Bridge. Run off on those catchments affected is way faster than the rivers scan cope with.

It’s about time the whole grouse shooting industry was put to bed.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

On my run yesterday I spotted a fire scar in Brighstone Forest, where it was located seemed an odd location to have had a fire.

As I continued my run I remembered that this was the spot recommenced as a bivi spot in Laurence McJannet's Bikepacking book :roll:

Obviously it could just be coincidence that the only spot in a forest 3 miles long where someone has had a fire was the location in the book. Or maybe this is the only one I've seen and there are hundreds of other fire marks scattered amongst the trees.

I also saw this

Foxes on gates are a bit less gruesome here than in Wales :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Had a few minutes to kill this morning so popped into the local outdoor shop. This was on the sale rail for half price. Worth €10 for the irritation ability.
jameso

Post by jameso »

pistonbroke wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:12 pm Had a few minutes to kill this morning so popped into the local outdoor shop. This was on the sale rail for half price. Worth €10 for the irritation ability.
:grin:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

pistonbroke wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:12 pm Had a few minutes to kill this morning so popped into the local outdoor shop. This was on the sale rail for half price. Worth €10 for the irritation ability.
You can wear it when hitchhiking to the shops 👍
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Thought I'd resurrect this thread to link to a Grauniad article which may generate some thoughts, seems a bit more real world and less social media focused than some
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... der-threat
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Thought I'd resurrect this thread to link to a Grauniad article which may generate some thoughts, seems a bit more real world and less social media focused than some
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... der-threat
Seems very much pro-wildcamping and pro-LNT but anti-fire and also, anti-entitled tw@t. All good I reckon.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

I also like that the article has come from a mainstream, respected source. Good that the Darwall's legal challenge is 'out there' in the media with a sensible counter argument.
mikejd

Post by mikejd »

samwise

Post by samwise »

Vivobarefoot added to the list!

The caption doesn't seem to line up with the video.....

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ck_XpCZp ... MyMTA2M2Y=
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Resurrecting this thread, Al Humphrey’s having a fire. It’s a shame that he has a few back practices like this as I quite admire him! Still, he’s got 57K followers on the ‘gram and 62K on bookface, so feel like he should preach a bit better
Attachments
1353D073-7280-4842-ADCA-A91B127B7F52.jpeg
1353D073-7280-4842-ADCA-A91B127B7F52.jpeg (113.02 KiB) Viewed 1058 times
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

https://twitter.com/Aviemoron/status/15 ... 2318878721

Did Tiso in Aviemore ever take this storefront pic down?
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Loving that response using deforestation to justify NGAS 🤪
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sadly, people will try and justify whatever behaviour they want if that behaviour suits their ends. If they're a 'face' then many people will simply agree with them in order to remain aligned with something popular ... whether it's right or wrong matters little.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:47 am Loving that response using deforestation to justify NGAS 🤪
Aye what a fanny - Simon - a response back - " yes the attitude of people who don't care about rainforests and will clear fell them for a fat profit is exactly the same as the attitude of people who will light a fire in the countryside for their own selfish reasons...."
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Sadly, people will try and justify whatever behaviour they want if that behaviour suits their ends. If they're a 'face' then many people will simply agree with them in order to remain aligned with something popular ... whether it's right or wrong matters little.
Sadly a perceptive viewpoint
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

fatbikephil wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:24 pm
Cheeky Monkey wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:47 am Loving that response using deforestation to justify NGAS 🤪
Aye what a fanny - Simon - a response back - " yes the attitude of people who don't care about rainforests and will clear fell them for a fat profit is exactly the same as the attitude of people who will light a fire in the countryside for their own selfish reasons...."
No, sorry, but that's just pursuing the same daft correlation from a different angle, isn't it? Pretry sure it wouldnt be helpful or accurate.

EDIT - have I missed the sarcasm :oops: :lol:

I wouldnt bother responding as it's the internet, innit. Where's that cartoon about someone being wrong on it 😉

Might be more useful to ask Al_H why he needed the fire in the first place?

But hey, people / the internet - bag of bollox most of the time isn't it 🤪😎
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

To be honest cheeky monkey, as it’s the internet, I haven’t responded back to that person.

Still, it’s a shame Al hasn’t responded either especially as he’s a big influencer* out there having quite a few adult books to his name and some children’s books too

*gosh, I do hate that word
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I favour punching them in the face and destroying everything they own whilst telling them not to worry as the earthquake and Ukraine are having it worse and to get some perspective . I feel certain that with this approach they will grasp the weakness of their argument.
Firestarter man needs to respond ( but may also be going internet innit why argue ).
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Might be more useful to ask Al_H why he needed the fire in the first place?
Easy enough to come up with some tripe about mental health or wellbeing or being mildly hypothermic or he just needed a picture for his followers