Mattress recommendation

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Kumquat

Mattress recommendation

Post by Kumquat »

My exped synmat has blown a couple of baffles whilst being deployed on January BAM and is now decidedly wonky. According to Exped HQ the LOT number identifies it as being 8 years old so I guess it's had a fair innings.
Can anyone recommend me a durable, insulated inflatable mattress?
I am 173cm, 80 kilos and a bit of a cold sleeper.
Grubby little urchin.
woodsmith

Re: Mattress recommendation

Post by woodsmith »

I've been really happy with my Thermarest neoair X-therm.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I'm happy with the Synmats - you just have to be careful to avoid over-inflating. You need a bit of room for the air to shift around when you kneel/sit on it so that the internal welds aren't stressed too much.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Exped had a problem with a batch or two with delaminating fabric bonds roughly in 2017. The bad batch tended to delaminate after little use. Exped fixed the issue shortly and ever since they seem to have been issue free.

But it doesn't really sound like this is the case with your mat.

Unfortunately, such mats (also from Therm-a-Rest and Klymit) don't have a lifespan of much more than 100 nights in the best case (in my experience). X-Lite being the worst.

Exped has a 5 year warranty policy (at least in Switzerland) and apparently are rather generous in replacing also older mats. I'd probably try that.

Another seemingly more durable option are Therm-a-Rest
Prolite (not the Apex or Plus version) mats. I got mine about 22 years ago, used to use it loads (probably >200 nights) and since X-Lite, Synmats etc. became available have nearly stopped using it. But those rare times where it's still being used, it's working just fine. Weight and volume penalty compared to the Synmat may be small enough for your likes.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

whitestone wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:36 pm I'm happy with the Synmats - you just have to be careful to avoid over-inflating. You need a bit of room for the air to shift around when you kneel/sit on it so that the internal welds aren't stressed too much.
I treat mine like sh*t. Lots of air, multiple persons on it etc. and it has been okay concerning the bulging issue.

Yet, as mentioned in another thread:
Alpinum wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:24 pm
lune ranger wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:33 pm I was pretty cold using it last week in sub-zero temps with a bag that should have been fine.
Perhaps worth checking if the insulation is still in place.
Mine came undone, leaving loosely coiled up (usually) at the foot end rather than hanging in there over the full length. Made a huge difference, from being just about warm enough down to about -15 °C to feeling cold from the ground at about +5 °C(!). I realised this after ~100 nights. In for replacement.
Well...
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

I think I'm going to go for a synmat Dura 5r m.
Heavier and warmer than current mat.
*Tentatively shakes piggy bank*
Grubby little urchin.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I really like Exped mats but I do wish they'd perhaps now consolidate the range a little.
May the bridges you burn light your way
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:13 am I really like Exped mats but I do wish they'd perhaps now consolidate the range a little.
Quite. It’s about as confusing as choosing a Schwalbe tyre :wink:
I had more than a bit of head scratching choosing a new one recently. Fortunately as I was looking second hand my choice was much reduced.

In relation to Thermarest Prolites. I too have some really old ones still going strong. I actively prefer to sleep on one vs a Synmat - much more comfortable imo. But as Gian points out it is hard to ignore the weight/bulk penalty.
But on the other hand I mostly still use a prolite 3/4 in summer that is pretty much the same weight and only slightly bigger than a Synmat 7 M.
I
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC