voodoo_simon

Trig points

Post by voodoo_simon »

Came across this today, all the trig points on one map
https://jdconey.github.io/run/trigmap?f ... qnJY#close
woodsmith

Re: Trig points

Post by woodsmith »

Any excuse to spend ages looking at maps is good with me. Turns out there's one near me which is listed as possibly missing. I giuess thats what you get for putting one in Thievesdale.....
benp1

Post by benp1 »

this is ace! :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ooh, there's one above our house :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

One on the Island is marked as visible but no access (it's inside the old fort on Culver Down) but no mention that lots of the others are on private land with no rights of way to get to them, which includes the one in the middle of a military firing range :lol:

I've visited all of them on the Island, as close as I could get (in one ride) and it really shows how the land use around them has changed since they were built. The one in Brighstone Forest wouldn't be much use now as it's surrounded by trees.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

There's one on some land next to my brother's farm that our father used to rent. It's not a pillar but just the actual theodolite mounting plate fixed into rock. That's not listed.

Actually just checked - the plate is no longer there just the fixing bolt: https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3121565
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

One of the nearest, to me, is just off Bob Lane - will have to hunt it out, next time I'm down that way
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Was it on here or somewhere else you could send in a photo of a trig point for people to guess the location?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Mariner wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:05 am Was it on here or somewhere else you could send in a photo of a trig point for people to guess the location?
There was a long thread on STW where someone posted shots a mate had sent him asking him to guess the location so he'd asked the forum to help him out but they weren't just trig points.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I'm unsurprised to learn that "trigpointing" is a thing, and it has it's own wesbite and forum. I wonder if there's a thread on it about discovering there are people who ride bikes in order to sleep in hedges (or vice versa).

Turns out there's one about 200 yards from where I'm sat in my office in Newcastle city centre :shock:
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

.....calling @pyro.......

I thought there were a lot more in the Lakes. I don't remember the summit of Skiddaw trig being damaged - certainly reachable.
Verena

Post by Verena »

This is great, thank you. Been to most near me, but a couple there to go find...