Purchase wood en route to bothy?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benconnolli

Purchase wood en route to bothy?

Post by benconnolli »

Afternoon all,

So my current resemblance of a bikepacking plan is to get a train into the depths of Wales, roam some nice tracks, then warm myself in a bothy (probably Nant Syddion).

I would like to have a fire (and responsibly bring my own fuel for it) but not carry the wood/coal for my entire trip. Is there somewhere close like in Rhayader, Devils Bridge, or even Llanidloes where I would be able to pick some up? Or should I just bank on mopping up windfall branches given the storms going on?

Ta x
RIP

Re: Purchase wood en route to bothy?

Post by RIP »

Ponterwyd garage? Even just a bag of kindling would get you started and then windfall after that? Take some waxy firestarters?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just check - there's an MBA work party scheduled for Syddion and also the MBA AGM ... sometime in March I think but can't recall the exact date.

You should be able to buy some wood in Llanidloes - Spar and/or petrol station and the same in Rhayader. Can't think of anything in Devils Bridge. Other option is the petrol station in Ponterwyd depending which direction you're going in from.
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:45 pm Just check - there's an MBA work party scheduled for Syddion and also the MBA AGM ... sometime in March I think but can't recall the exact date.

You should be able to buy some wood in Llanidloes - Spar and/or petrol station and the same in Rhayader. Can't think of anything in Devils Bridge. Other option is the petrol station in Ponterwyd depending which direction you're going in from.
11-13th for the work party - not sure if the AGM ties in with this date too
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

You should be able to buy some wood in Llanidloes
Or some of Reg's special "toys" (see Watkin thread)
I used to own a static caravan on Woodlands site in Devils Bridge, they had a reasonably well stocked shop but that was 10 years ago. It's a bit excessive to use hand carved love spoons as kindling. I'd go for the petrol station in Ponterwyd as the most reliable source.
ripio

Post by ripio »

Carry an instant firelog in with you on the bike and then supplement it with any local fallen branches you can find near the bothy.