Bar harnesses - recommendation

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Re: Bar harnesses - recommendation

Post by fatbikephil »

Ooh meant to say - I've one of those Thorn T shaped bars that go in place of an inch of headset spacers which will go on the ICT or Straggler - ideal bottom support for a bar roll etc. Except I got the 105mm one and probably should have got a 55mm one. So if anyone on this thread wants it for a few quid, let me know.
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

Phil I think that would work quite well on my bike so if it's still available I would like to have it . Let me know what you want for it and payment details please .
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Raggedstone wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:19 am Phil I think that would work quite well on my bike so if it's still available I would like to have it . Let me know what you want for it and payment details please .
PM'd ya
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

Thanks for the recommendations on this thread, bought a Wildcat Lion which fits great on my Sonder Transmitter. The GPS bracket is fine and clear but the Exposure light is blocked by the top curve of the bag/harness. What do you recommend for a bar extender please?
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

What do you recommend for a bar extender please?
You may not need a bar extender, if your Exposure has the wedge shaped bar mount, unscrew the bolt on the light and get a longer bolt, countersunk head of course, measure the distance to the screw head from the light and cut a piece of tubing accordingly. Screw it all together and you've raised tye light to clear the bag. I used a piece of carbon fibre off some tri bars but I'm like that.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

pistonbroke wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:21 pm
What do you recommend for a bar extender please?
You may not need a bar extender, if your Exposure has the wedge shaped bar mount, unscrew the bolt on the light and get a longer bolt, countersunk head of course, measure the distance to the screw head from the light and cut a piece of tubing accordingly. Screw it all together and you've raised tye light to clear the bag. I used a piece of carbon fibre off some tri bars but I'm like that.
I'm liking the plate, to protect your headset - is it aluminium? How thick?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

AndreR wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:00 am ...bought a Wildcat Lion which fits great on my Sonder Transmitter... the Exposure light is blocked by the top curve of the bag/harness.
Sorry, but this did make me laugh :oops:
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:51 pm
AndreR wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:00 am ...bought a Wildcat Lion which fits great on my Sonder Transmitter... the Exposure light is blocked by the top curve of the bag/harness.
Sorry, but this did make me laugh :oops:
What can I say I'm easily pleased!! In my defense was more worried about cabling and the suspension fork clearance.
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I'm liking the plate, to protect your headset - is it aluminium? How thick?
Yes it's 2mm dural plate. It has a dual function of mounting my Kemo rectifier/switch for powering the dynamo light and charging my GPS via a power bank. The mk1 version mounted via an expander bolt up the steerer tube but my latest forks don't allow this so I fixed it between the lower headset bearing and the steerer crown.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Revelate Designs harness, does exactly what it says on the tin. nothing to compare it to really as before I only used a cheapy Alpkit one which moved around more than I did :-bd
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
hoppy58

Post by hoppy58 »

I bought a second hand alpkit kanga a few years ago which is ok with drops and straight bars but no good with my ‘on one Mikes’, because the forward wiggle of the bar catches the raised part of the harness. My solution is to do away with the harness and just use an airlock 20 dry bag velcroed to the bars through the strap guides, to locate it, then just double strapped tightly around the bars to hold it firm. It doesn’t budge. At the head tube I’ve Velcro strapped a thick piece of pipe lagging which holds the bag away from the frame. Not very elegant but the steering moves freely and the paintwork is protected- not sure whether a hole will develop in the dry bag in the long term! Links to photos:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aEQYpqJsf3taaiWG9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/49QarXUpJYanPdKt9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/B4ZczJMW56vB7ckc6
hoppy58

Post by hoppy58 »

Photo Link added as an edit above ^
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Alpinum wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:22 pm If you prefer a lightweight & compact bar bag, up to about 1 kg, the
GFunk bar clamps and DeWidget strap deck should do a good job. I just picked some up from the post office today and looking forward to putting them to good use. First impression is :-bd
So... I've used the GFunk clamps and the strap deck with a 5 L dry bag for quilt and down smock, with a total weight of about 600 g incl. bag. Gave it some good shaking for most part of three days and did a good job. Strap deck could be a tiny little bit wider and the dry bag needs some protection from the cables though. But stable it is. The way and stuff I rode kept me thinking the clamps must snap anytime, but all good.