New Bike Day

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pistonbroke

New Bike Day

Post by pistonbroke »

Since moving to Spain and selling my Aprilia, I've been without a motorbike for the first time in 45 years. I started saving up about 2 years ago and following a test ride about 3 weeks ago, put down a deposit on a Yamaha Tenere 700 for delivery in May. I was aware that the Rally Edition had been facelifted for 2022 using the red and white livery that their legendary TT500 and flattrack racers such as Kenny Roberts used. I got an email today saying it had arrived, wtf! I am sorely tempted to take delivery now but I'm worried it will scupper my training for the cycling events I've committed to in April and May.
Be rude not to right?
fatbikephil

Re: New Bike Day

Post by fatbikephil »

Nice one. I came very close to getting one when they were first announced (and £3k cheaper!) but talked myself out of it. When you get it start another 'show us yer motorbike' thread :mrgreen:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

When you get it start another 'show us yer motorbike' thread
Wait until the start of April and I'll join in.

I was always a big fan of the XT550 Duncan - much preferred it to the 500 (don't tell anyone).
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Just buy it

Life’s too short n all that :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

voodoo_simon wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:14 pm Just buy it

Life’s too short n all that :-bd
Well as it happens I'm hoping to ditch the Bavarian behemoth and replace it with a 300cc Honda ('cos only the nicest people ride Hondas) :grin:
Which means my Triumph 650 becomes the fire breathing road burner (which it is)
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Yawn
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yawn
Are we keeping you up sweetie? :wink:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:42 am
Yawn
Are we keeping you up sweetie? :wink:
It’s been another hard week saving lives and healing the afflicted…

… but motorbikes, do we really need them here? Isn’t that why god invented the IoM?
:lol:
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

but motorbikes, do we really need them here?
No we probably don't but there's lots of things we don't need here but no one's ever accused us of following the straight and narrow path. We're too much of an eclectic bunch for anything like that :wink:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Touché
WSC
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

An odd motorbike, now and then, in moderation, is perfectly acceptable. :grin:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

motorbikes, do we really need them here?
How else are middle aged men (and women) going to self euthanise? As MrsPB commented, "aren't you a bit old for a mid life crisis? " Not if I'm planning to live to 120.
FLV

Post by FLV »

fatbikephil wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:23 pm An odd motorbike, now and then, in moderation, is perfectly acceptable. :grin:
Completely agree, as is a conventional motorbike....

I like those yam's. Was pretty tempted before I got my most recent a few months ago.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I'll be retiring in two years time (all being well) and I keep toying with the idea of getting a bike then as a retirement present to myself. The T7 was top of my wishlist but I'm erring towards a CRF300Rally now as I don't want/need to go fast and it's a bit lighter and a fair bit cheaper. I've been bikeless since selling my KTM 690 around ten years ago but I've never been to Scandinavia and a ride up to the Arctic Circle appeals.
Another option would be to treat myself to a full sus ebike instead though for self uplift gravity riding.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Looks like I’m outvoted then.
Fair enough.
The world can always use more organ donor’s anyway :o
WSC
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

lune ranger wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:05 pm Looks like I’m outvoted then.
Fair enough.
This is similar to what I'd been thinking. Bloody nurses :lol: Looked after a few motorbikers over the years (reminds me I should start taking shifts at the major trauma centre wards/HDUs * again) and they weren't pretty (thankfully they were all smart kindof and had been wearing the appropriate gear and leathers).

Don't do it Duncan... don't :-bd

*Surprisingly satisfying caring for polytrauma HDU patients.. especially when they're potentially gonna get better after the multiple surgeries.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Shaf' we all perceive risk in different ways and some perhaps even believe that it's better to die with memories than dreams :wink: Yes, some people ride like tw@ts but you don't have to just as some people drive like them yet many don't. Bikes aren't dangerous, it's people you need to watch out for.
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:46 pm Bikes aren't dangerous, it's people you need to watch out for.
I’d go as far as saying if you survive the learning curve on a motorbike, the survival skills learned * transfer across to car driving and may just save your skin here and there. And if you spend time on dirt bikes, those skills transfer quite well to off road cycling.

* equates to trust no other road user and hone those sixth senses.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

tobasco wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:59 pm
* equates to trust no other road user and hone those sixth senses.
Now that’s a good manifesto :-bd
WSC
FLV

Post by FLV »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:15 pm
Fair enough.
This is similar to what I'd been thinking. Bloody nurses :lol: Looked after a few motorbikers over the years (reminds me I should start taking shifts at the major trauma centre wards/HDUs * again) and they weren't pretty (thankfully they were all smart kindof and had been wearing the appropriate gear and leathers).

*Surprisingly satisfying caring for polytrauma HDU patients.. especially when they're potentially gonna get better after the multiple surgeries.
Yes... let's all stick to road cycling, with no more than a small helmet on the top part of our heads.... Much safer...

Much much safer :roll:

How about riding ultra long distances with no sleep, pushing into halucinagenic states whilst in the mountains? Safer? :roll: :roll:

Always amazes me how quickly people are to tell others they shouldn't do things because of their own prejudices and / or misconceptions.

Anyway
https://www.google.com/search?q=panda&c ... wnShAuZ77M

:-bd
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Just to add some clarification to this debate I've inadvertently started. Motorcycling is and always was my No1 sporting passion. I started riding trials at 12 and enduro in my 20's progressing to being sponsored by the then KTM importer to ride a 300cc flying machine. Most of the British Championship rounds were held in mid Wales forests and moorlands. I rank a gold medal in the Welsh 2Day as one of my best achievements. Following a nasty accident in the Rhayader event when I met another competitor coming the wrong way along the course at 60mph, I retired. I kept a trail bike for days out and a memorable trip to the North Cape. Living where I do is just perfect for pootling about on the hundreds of km of trails and the Tenere is the perfect tool. I certainly wouldn't ride on busy roads, especially in the UK, same as cycling really. The bike is definitely mine, a €500 deposit saw to that, the only question is when to take delivery, I fully expected there to be a 4-5 month wait as did the dealer, she was amazed when it turned up.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Go get it collected mate... I'd not be able to wait
redefined_cycles

FLV wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:16 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:15 pm
Fair enough.

Yes... let's all stick to road cycling, with no more than a small helmet on the top part of our heads.... Much safer...

Much much safer :roll:

How about riding ultra long distances with no sleep, pushing into halucinagenic states whilst in the mountains? Safer? :roll: :roll:

Always amazes me how quickly people are to tell others they shouldn't do things because of their own prejudices and / or misconceptions.

Anyway
https://www.google.com/search?q=panda&c ... wnShAuZ77M

:-bd
:sad: yes. Fair point and totally correct. My bad and apologies :smile:
redefined_cycles

pistonbroke wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:17 pm Just to add some clarification to this debate I've inadvertently started. Motorcycling is and always was my No1 sporting passion. I started riding trials at 12 and enduro in my 20's progressing to being sponsored by the then KTM importer to ride a 300cc flying machine. Most of the British Championship rounds were held in mid Wales forests and moorlands. I rank a gold medal in the Welsh 2Day as one of my best achievements. Following a nasty accident in the Rhayader event when I met another competitor coming the wrong way along the course at 60mph, I retired. I kept a trail bike for days out and a memorable trip to the North Cape. Living where I do is just perfect for pootling about on the hundreds of km of trails and the Tenere is the perfect tool. I certainly wouldn't ride on busy roads, especially in the UK, same as cycling really. The bike is definitely mine, a €500 deposit saw to that, the only question is when to take delivery, I fully expected there to be a 4-5 month wait as did the dealer, she was amazed when it turned up.
Just read this Duncan. Wow... If that was me writing and it was my no1 passion, yes I'd probably be getting it :-bd
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I've a long and chequered motorcycle career and must have owned 50 or 60 over the years, but the only new motorcycle I ever wheeled out of a showroom was a Ténéré in 1986. I was writing a motorbike column for a Melbourne paper back then and had tested one for a couple of weeks and just had to have one. It was the perfect bike for doing anything and for nearly 10 years it took me EVERYWHERE.

So yeah, go grab it. I'd love one.
I'm just going outside ...