The Broads: NP or not?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

The Broads: NP or not?

Post by lune ranger »

Is the Norfolk Broads a National Park enough to be included in a ride that will include all the NP’s of England?
It’s called the Broads National Park and has equivalence but it isn’t really an NP according to the letter of the law (as far as I can tell).
If you were planning a long fast ride that includes all the English parks (I am) would it make the cut?
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ScotRoutes

Re: The Broads: NP or not?

Post by ScotRoutes »

It's listed on nationalparks.uk so I'd assume it's fully included.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

I'd be tempted to give it a miss. There are very few roads within the park boundaries itself and even fewer places to ride off road looking at the OS map. Could be some good extended packrafting though :-bd
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

to tick the box, because that was what mattered most, then yes

For purely riding pleasure, having been there, NO

Basically its not worth it but it is a NP
Al

Post by Al »

I think they re branded as a ‘national park’ in 2015 so it’s on all the publicity material to try and improve visitor numbers, but it doesn’t have the same legal status ( I think due to the lack of a boundary??).

I reckon you can exclude it on a technicality and plan a much better route!
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Al wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:35 am I think they re branded as a ‘national park’ in 2015 so it’s on all the publicity material to try and improve visitor numbers, but it doesn’t have the same legal status ( I think due to the lack of a boundary??).

I reckon you can exclude it on a technicality and plan a much better route!
This is pretty much what I found. It was given equivalent but different status to other NP in something like 2009 - formed under different legislation on account of its additional role as a waterway navigation authority. NP branding introduced later for marketing purposes.

If I discount the Broads I may even be able to include the Welsh NP’s as well. I’m looking at a maximum 6 days, ideally 5 with around 300km/200miles per day.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
arkay

Post by arkay »

Al wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:35 am I think they re branded as a ‘national park’ in 2015 so it’s on all the publicity material to try and improve visitor numbers, but it doesn’t have the same legal status ( I think due to the lack of a boundary??).
There is a national park boundary marked on the OS map in the same style as other national parks.
Al

Post by Al »

Yes it does - maybe because it’s not a contiguous border?

I think it’s the additional duty to preserve waterway navigation that is the main thing that sets it apart from the national parks.