Bivvy a month 2022

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

Re: Bivvy a month 2022

Post by sean_iow »

Mike, Ralph and myself rode the KAW over 4 days, started lunchtime on Sunday and finished lunchtime on Wednesday. Joined the route at Avebury as it's about halfway between us for meeting up.

All the dry weather has made the going easy on the Ridgeway and made it to a pub just before Goring for dinner. Another 20 miles post dinner saw us past Reading.

Mike knew a cracking bivi spot (from the last time he rode it) which came at just the right time. The shelters had only been up minutes when the thunder and lightening started. At first it was just in the distance but it was quite some storm, the lightening flashes were so bright it hurt your eyes even with them closed as the whole area was lit up brighter than daylight. A sudden increase in wind, then a lull, and then the heavens opened! The Deschutes took it in it's stride but I was concerned that if the lightening got any closer we might need to move. We were on the edge of a woods but sort of in the open in the field. Luckily the lightening never made it directly overhead. The rain didn't last long and the morning dawned bright and sunny.

As always seems to be the case though we were in the shade :roll: 20 miles of quiet back lanes, canal towpath and the odd bridleway saw us at what might well be the worlds largest garden centre for breakfast but not before stopping to admire a railway bridge. We were stopped a while but obliviously a train only went under just after we had rode away.

We past through the first of the military ranges on the route. The affects of the recent fires clearly visible.

Next is the climb up to the top of the Devils Punchbowl at Hindhead. From the FB page I was expecting this to be an epic battle of man v's gravity but the top arrived in no time at all, in fact I felt somewhat short-changed at the size of it after all the hype. Stopped at the NT cafe for coffee and cake and to air some of the kit, well before it started raining.

At QECP we diverted off route to drop down into Clanfield for dinner. Met a group of lads riding the route who were staying at the pub. 3 of them were on E-bikes so needed to charge their batteries. One was in his mid 60's and one had one leg, the E-bike has opened up routes like this to all so good to see. They had the added bonus that they could have as many pints as they liked as their riding was done for the day. We had to climb back up to the SDW and look for a bivi spot. We'd just made it up to the top of the downs before Old Winchester Hill when the rain started. Our requirements for a bivi spot were reduced in proportion to the intensity of the rain and so dived into some trees to the first nearly flat spot. Unfortunately the wind had also picked up and the rain intensity had increased to 11 so I was soaked by the time I got under cover. Still managed a decent nights sleep.

I had found a slight hollow which meant the ground was nearly flat despite being on a slope. Luckily it didn't fill with water as I didn't think of that until in my bag. Up at first thing and back into the wet kit, a coffee and porridge and we were off. Not long after getting going, 9 miles, we came across a great little campsite with a cafe. Suitably refreshed it was a further 10 miles into Winchester for breakfast proper. Stopped at Kings Sombre for snacks from the shop and asked a passer by if there was a bench nearby. They pointed us down the road and there was a picnic table on the verge. It turns out this was put here by the house adjacent for riders :-bd As well as stopping to eat we got all our damp kit out in the sun and it was all dry by the time we left. The owners of the bench came out for a chat and pointed us towards their outside tap for water refills. We now had quite a way to go until our intended dinner stop at Market Lavington.

Unfortunately 5 or so miles before we made it there our luck with the weather ran out and it started raining, the sort of rain where it's hard to see where you're going. Riding up Lavington Hill on the edge of the range the water was running back down the hill an inch or more deep. On the road down to the village the runoff from the chalk made it look like we riding down a river of milk. The pub didn't seem to mind when 2 soaking bikepackers arrived and seated us on the some benches in an area of conveniently tiled floor so the drips would be easy to deal with.

The area is somewhat lacking in bivi spots as it's mainly military ranges and the red flags were out but we had spotted a suitable area on the way in which although still military wasn't actually a range. It was raining on and off so decided we'd just take out chances and rode back along the road. We were awakened at 06:30 by someone advising us there was no camping due to military by-laws and the MPs would move us on. As we were moving on anyway this wasn't much of a threat and even if they'd come round in the night the worst case would have been a night in a nice warm block-house and no doubt a mug of tea.

Dropped back down to the road to the garage hoping for breakfast but the coffee machine was broken. A local recommended the burger van up the road. It's 'just' past the tractor dealers. We had past the tractors and been peddling for some time, Mike was beginning to loose hope as he'd been told it 'almost opposite' the tractors. The issue here is that our travel guides would be in cars and at 60 mph (the slowest they seem to drive in this road) they cover a mile every minute so it does seem like its just past the tractors. The same distance takes us 5 or 6 minutes up a slight hill into the wind. The lay-by did arrive and it was well worth it. A very good cup of coffee and a bacon and egg bap.

To get off the road we cut back onto the route. It meant re-riding a section we rode the day before but it was no great hardship. When we went past the bivi spot the army were setting up in the car park nearby for what looked like a major event, which explains the mobile toilet block and parking signs etc. Good job we got going early. Our progress over the last few days left only 36 miles back to the vans, stopping for coffee at Avebury and lunch back at Calne were we'd parked. We had diverted off onto the various alternative sections to maximise the off road and with that and starting off-route we ended up riding 260 miles, so over 50 more than the official route. As he'd managed to get a bit damp, and the smell of damp riding shoes in the back of the van was pretty bad, I let Ralph ride up front with me on the trip home as a treat :lol:

On the drive back there were some very heavy storms, the sort that require the wipers on high speed to see. I saw another couple of riders we'd chatted to the day before slogging it out in full waterproofs but they were riding towards the good weather so hopefully didn't have to suffer it for too long.

Sean and Ralph BAMS 9/9 for this year and I think 29 in a row?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

Top drawer that, three nights of rain takes some fortitude to handle!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

RIP wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:25 am Top drawer that, three nights of rain takes some fortitude to handle!
The days were mainly dry and sunny and we managed to air our kit so that makes a big difference, plus it was still warm at night. If it had been wet all day and colder at night it would have been much less pleasant.

Despite the rain the trails were still dry which shows how much they have dried out and that the rain was just running off. I've ridden both the Ridgeway and the South Downs Way after (and during) pronged wet weather and they both become a slog through a sea of mud and water.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Nice one :-bd

I can’t remember the names of the places but remember that there were multiple opportunities for bivvying once you got a few km past Reading. We bivvied in the woods at the top of that climb before Hindhead. Not really a hard climb at all.

Aside from the military areas you could just about bivy at will. Maybe we’ve just got our eye in :wink:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

sean_iow wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:40 am If it had been wet all day and colder at night it would have been much less pleasant.
Aye this is the key of course. Most of my deluge experiences have been in reasonably (to me; possibly not to most people though) warm temperatures. That Winter Event effort two years ago was [insanely] wet but was one of the warmer Januarys. I reckon September is now the official wet month, or it has been for me for the past five years!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Enjoyed the write up on the KAW, must do it sometime.

I think I missed the bivvy of a generation a few days ago. People waiting to join The Queue slept out one night to be at the front when it all opened. I could have got the train down hopped on the Brompton across town and laid out my mat and bag and headed back to STP the next morning. Of course, it is one continuous snake now and no smelly campers.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

September done :-bd
Snowdonia on top form once again. This month I went to a new summit for me, Carnedd y Fillast which is in southern Snowdonia just north of Llyn Celyn which was previously the drowned village of Capel Celyn. Loads of history to which some individuals still feel so strongly today about it.
After parking up in a lay by near the drought stricken lake I followed the bridleway up a great double track to the summit. The going was pretty tough in places as it was pretty steep in places. Once at the summit, the wind chill was very noticeable as autumn moves in. And again the scenery was bang on. Luckily the wind eased through the night. Up early for the sunrise and a great blast back down and I got back to the car at 9:30.
Some pics...
Image20220916_164733-01 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220917_083707-01 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150809418 ... ateposted/
ImageScreenshot_20220916-175659_OS Maps by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Snowdon left of pic
Image20220916_184842-01 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220916_184102-02 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

What a viewpoint of the Snowdon horseshoe (left) and Tryfan (to the right)
Image20220917_071230-01 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Thanks go out to Allen for the fairy lights inspiration :wink:
Image20220916_202547 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220917_070734-01 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220917_071052-01 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220917_065123-02 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220917_084305-01 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220917_070954-01 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220917_080121-01 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Last week I spent a few days in and around Rothiemurchus Forest, etc. The first couple of days were spent knocking out a mix of MTB and Gravel bike rides, by day and night. The trails are particularly enjoyable there after dark since, unlike daytimes, it’s very rare to encounter anyone else.

On the afternoon of Day Three I rode north from Aviemore on the Speyside Way up to Boat of Garten and onwards to Loch Garten for an overnight bivvy. I eventually found a lovely spot on its eastern shore.

ImageLoch Garten by Jimmy G, on Flickr

The forecast was for the wind to drop dramatically as the evening wore on so I was keen to get my tent up before the midges could make an appearance. In the event, the wind did decrease but enough of a breeze remained to thwart midge flight operations. In fact, a drop in temperature and this breeze meant that things got a bit chilly during the night, to the point where I had to put my down jacket on inside my (3 Season) sleeping bag. On the plus side, though, my tent’s interior was completely condensation-free when I awoke in the morning. A rare occurrence with a Lunar Solo, in my experience.

ImageLoch Garten by Jimmy G, on Flickr

It's maybe worth mentioning that this was the inaugural outing for my new Revelate Designs bike bags. It's taken a bit of time (and money!) to acquire all the bits I wanted but suffice it to say I was very happy with their performance. In honour of its first outing I thought it was only right that I got a new BP Mojo. I've called him Mojoker :grin:

ImageMojoker by Jimmy G, on Flickr

In the morning, after the obligatory coffee while soaking up the lochside views, I packed up and headed through Abernethy Forest to Ryvoan Pass and Loch Morlich to Aviemore where the mother ship was parked.

ImageRyvoan Bothy by Jimmy G, on Flickr

ImageAn Lochan Uaine by Jimmy G, on Flickr

On the way through Abernethy Forest I passed a couple of interesting man-made landmarks.

ImageWise Old Man o' the Forest by Jimmy G, on Flickr

ImageTime for a new kilt pal? by Jimmy G, on Flickr

After several days of lovely weather, something had to give I suppose… and it did. I got caught in several heavy downpours en route. My Shakedry jacket kept me completely dry up top but saturated Endura singletrack trousers on the legs is not a good feel. Better to happen then than on the outward journey, though.

That’s now 9/9 for this year and a run of 57 consecutive BAMs.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
SR

Post by SR »

September done.

A quick hop up the valley for a pub tea. Followed by a lovely slight chill night under the posh tarp kindly pitched for us.
Attachments
20220919_152008.jpg
20220919_152008.jpg (71.75 KiB) Viewed 1691 times
RIP

Post by RIP »

and easy to catch the train home from the pub garden :wink: :grin:

SR

Post by SR »

There might be a very long wait 🤣
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Report and a pic later but I was out last night for my September bivvy. Currently having second breakfast in McDonalds in Ashby de la Zouch
RIP

Post by RIP »

Blackhound wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:01 am McDonalds in Ashby de la Zouch
Living the high life there :grin: . Pickers and myself once resorted to the Ashby W'spoons for our tea. An interesting experience :smile: .

slarge

Post by slarge »

September BAM done.

After a local history talk at our village hall (really interesting - lots of history of the local parish and photos from early 20th century to present day) I headed out into the local woods to sneak my September bivvy in. A new spot under an ancient oak (and less ancient fir tree) I got the stove going and had a hot chocolate, then a mixed nights sleep (I might invest in a longer mat as my knees get a crook when my feet poke off the end), I woke up around 7am to dappled sunlight shining through the trees. Firing up the meths stove again I had a pot noodle thing and headed home via a couple of bridleways and tracks. Very short ride, but I think I am gearing up for October and November bivvies with a few more miles. It does seem that even though I am not working time is still too short to do everything I want.

9/9 for 2022, and 15 bivvies so far this year. I am aiming for a BAM badge as my biggest achievement this year!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

slarge wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:00 am I might invest in a longer mat as my knees get a crook when my feet poke off the end
How short must your mat be for your feet to poke off the end? :wink: Do you want me to see if Ralph has a spare you could borrow :lol:
slarge

Post by slarge »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:23 am
slarge wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:00 am I might invest in a longer mat as my knees get a crook when my feet poke off the end
How short must your mat be for your feet to poke off the end? :wink: Do you want me to see if Ralph has a spare you could borrow :lol:
Can you ask? :grin:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

On a more serious note, I have one of these I take and put in the foot-box of the quilt/bottom of the bag when I use a 3/4 mat and it elevates my feet and keeps them off the ground enough to make the mat comfortable.

https://klymit.com/products/v-seat

Plus, on the KAW when my mat deflated after a few hours (slow puncture) and I couldn't be bothered to blow it up again I just put the sitting mat under my hip (side sleeper) and as it was warm and the ground wasn't too hard it was surprisingly comfortable.

I originally bought it just to sit on but it's ended up really useful for sleeping.
slarge

Post by slarge »

That looks interesting Sean - I tend to just use a drybag under my feet, but I have a longer mat somewhere - I'll dig it out and have a sleep on it.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:02 pm On a more serious note, I have one of these I take and put in the foot-box of the quilt/bottom of the bag when I use a 3/4 mat and it elevates my feet and keeps them off the ground enough to make the mat comfortable.

https://klymit.com/products/v-seat

Plus, on the KAW when my mat deflated after a few hours (slow puncture) and I couldn't be bothered to blow it up again I just put the sitting mat under my hip (side sleeper) and as it was warm and the ground wasn't too hard it was surprisingly comfortable.

I originally bought it just to sit on but it's ended up really useful for sleeping.
Can’t help thinking you are taking a full length matt cut into bits 😀
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Dave Barter wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:53 pm Can’t help thinking you are taking a full length matt cut into bits 😀
Never really thought of it like that but now you mention it :lol:

I wanted something to sit on as when i sit on my mat it just squashes, i don't like to blow it up so hard it will support me. Having survived a couple of nights were I basically used the sit mat as my sleeping mat it did occur to me I could just take that and save weight :grin:
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

So, my official write-up of Tuesday's night bivvy is as follows. I had intended to go on Monday but it rained quite a bit early afternoon and I put it off for 24 hours. Herself was determined I would get out (found out later GBBO was on tellybox) and she made us an early tea and told me not to waste the opportunity. One of my problems is I get paralysed by choice, shall i go here, shall I go there, and what about that other place?

Eventually I left home with a full belly heading into Leicestershire about 2 hours away. Heading along NCN6 and then on the road into Ashby I was feeling hungry and getting through my water so I stopped at a petrol station for water and a Snickers bar to get me the last few miles. I was heading to a bird hide I used earlier in the year which is fairly remote. As I arrived I could hear voices not too far away and although a couple of other cyclists passed the hide I don't think it was them. I continued to hear voices,real ones I assure you, but was unsure where they were coming from. The carpark about half a mile away is usually properly locked at night. It sounded like teens all talking at the top of their voices but about 10 it all quietened down.

The next morning I was expecting an early start but it was dark inside the hide so I sat and watched the swans and ducks for a bit, made coffee and then pcked my stuff away when i could see what I was doing.

I then made it back to Ashby with the choice of Mc'd's or Starbucks at about 7am. It was quiet enough at that time (fao Reg: but can imagine it might be interesting at other times), A coffee, porridge and muffin and a perusal of the internet later I was heading home through the National Forest to Staunton Harold and Calke Abbey and then rejoin NCN6 into Derby. About 45 miles all in.
A couple of pics on my Strava files.

#bam 9/9
https://www.strava.com/activities/7842795215
https://www.strava.com/activities/7842799548
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nice route from Derby I should think. Pickers and meself did a random route a few years back where I got off the train at Atherstone and we rode up past the Bosworth battlefield and along the canal to Ashby. Very pleasant. Sampled the aforementioned Spoons then scouted round for a spot. Ended up at some nature reserve lake thing near Moira. Nice spot apart from a/ the railway line just behind the trees we'd omitted to hear, b/ the 24 hour gravel plant we'd also omitted to hear, and c/ we were directly under the E Mids flight path which we'd also not realised. Even my industrial strength earplugs had their work cut out that night! Great trip though, as always with Pickers.

RIP

Post by RIP »

As per Equinox.

9/9, 9/12, 81/81.

Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

RIP: sounds like you were close to Hicks Lodge, my quieter spot is about 5 miles south of there. Hicks Lodge is open until 8pm on Thursday all year round so good for food and then find a spot.
Some years ago it was forecast to be a wet night so I decided to kip under the overhang at the cafe not realising staff were there overnight upstairs. I stayed anyway and the next morning just as I was about to leave at 7am a young guy walking his dog walked around the side of the building. I just smiled and said 'good morning', I think he was as surprised as I was.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Thanks - added to the list :).

Yep, Hicks Lodge, that was it. We should've gone to Moira Furnace, looks like an interesting bit of industrial archaeology next to the canal.