Bivvy a month 2022

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Raggedstone

Re: Bivvy a month 2022

Post by Raggedstone »

2/2 for 2022
The rain stopped the sun came out and it would have been a perfect weekend to head to Wales for a night or two unfortunately I have had to provide a week of readings the last of which was yesterday evening . Still I am lucky enough to have the Malvern hills on my doorstep and I spotted a potential bivvy spot a flat grassy area with a bench while out for a ride recently so I headed there . I was a little bit worried about the car park in an old quarry that was below the spot being a popular place for night time activities when I got to the track that went there I saw the road was closed so that should mean a quiet night . I managed to take a wrong turn that actually took me through the car park which wasn't empty so I started to have second thoughts I got to the place and it was closer to the car park than I thought and pretty much in view with lights on so went off in search of somewhere else as I climbed up through the trees I was treated to a bizarre performance from below the cars in the car park lights came on and one went the other turned round and sat there with lights on then off for a few minutes then back on another car turns up all lights off ? (don't answer)
A bit further up the hill I found a perfect place got the bivvy bag out not a pole in sight plenty of sticks of all sizes though . I woke up cold in the night so deployed the 150 quilt an amazing difference fell asleep woke again with a pain in my hip the neoair had gone soft so blew it up again the same happened again around 6.30 this time my pillow was also flat I couldn't help thinking that maybe i had been Janed
ImagePXL_20220227_063720714 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
It was frosty and due to trying to avoid the wind the night before I was on the western side of the hills so out of the sun . I quickly packed and headed for the sun and a stunning early morning shared with an equally awestruck dog walker . It's amazing how many times those thoughts of why am I doing this turn into moments that are unforgettable .
ImagePXL_20220227_074911303.MP by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
ImagePXL_20220227_071541051 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
ImagePXL_20220227_071430567 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
ImagePXL_20220227_080504773.MP by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr

38 consecutive months now and as far as i can work out that was my 50th proper bivvy not counting campsites and Pub floors
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

2/2 for 2022

Another last minute effort here :smile:

We decided to get the train along the Settle-Carlisle line and ride home with a bivy about halfway.

Bikes at Skipton station. A very bike friendly station, the roof stanchions have arms to hold your bike :wink:

Proof that we did pay.

We actually decided to get off one stop early at Dent since the road climb up to the high point is a bit easier from there. Still isn't "easy", just "easier".

Great Combe in the background - the YD300 takes the shoulder heading to mid left in front of that.

Once you leave the road you traverse the hillside on a good track, I think it's an old drove road, not much else I can think as a use for it.

You then drop to the top of Arten Gill and there's a bit of a pull to get up the other side.

What you can't see in the shots is the block headwind we had all afternoon. Made for really slow going along with the soft ground after snow melt.

We cut east and picked up the YD300 route after Ribblehead and then headed down to Horton.

Lights on at Horton, a bit of road work then a lane that's been washed out. I thought I'd have to walk it but somehow managed to ride it all in the dark without dabbing. :-bd Our bivy spot was the bird hide at Malham Tarn. Quite cosy even if half of it is suspended above the tarn.

It got quite a bit colder than the forecast 2C, probably -1 as all the puddles were frozen as was most of the mud.

Cath's rear tyre began to go down so we'd a few stops sorting it out.

We headed over Mastiles, the first time I've had to walk down to and up from Goredale Beck because of the ice. Then over Weets Top and down to Airton where the café had just opened in time for a second breakfast. With things warming up getting back was a bit muddy.

Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

boxelder wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:28 pm
Shewie wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:55 pm Well you can scratch me off the list Reg

Went to one of my favourite Lakeland valleys today only to find complete devastation, deforestation and storm damage aplenty.
Did nearly 40km pootling about checking some old campsites but the only one in half decent nick had the local bears in residence so I moved on.
Rode back to the car a bit disheartened onloaded the bike and drove home again, a bit sad really.

Back to the drawing board, need to find something more local, or move house, I'll try and pick BAM up again next month.
South Lakes? Grizedale. Don't think there's much storm damage in Ennerdale, unless recent. I think Ennerdale looks better now, with all the Wild Ennerdale work, than it has for decades. Work in progress, but so much more interesting and diverse.
Yeah it was Ennerdale, I've not been over for a couple of years so it was quite a shock, last time I was there was the weekend before we went into the first lockdown. I knew they were felling trees on some parts of the north side but they've really gone to town on the whole valley since I was last there, quite a lot of windblown trees too now, I guess because their protection has been removed, it was a shame to see the stand of cedars halfway up the north side almost completely flattened.

I'm all for the rewilding too btw, some of the upper parts of the LIza are fascinating how it's braiding and finding a new course with every storm, a couple of favourite old campsites are already long gone due to bank erosion.

I think if I'd been in a better frame of mind I wouldve stuck it out and camped, I was tempted by a night by the iron age settlement but it felt a bit wrong and disrespectful
NeilA

Post by NeilA »

27 February 2022
Well its a day earlier than January's bivi, more to do with Leigh suggesting Sunday night, as Monday = rain.
Unfortunately Leigh had to pull out so my wish to hit the heights of the Malvern Hills became live.

Nevertheless at 2100 with bike and man ready to go, severe behaviour ensued, especially given the laws of procrastination stating 'there's still a day left, can do tomorrow'! Some minutes later with all emotions quashed I am off on an adventure.

Within a few metres of cycling, my new acquisition the Alpkit Hadron light proved its beam as powerful, perfectly suitable for singletrack riding and bright even on its frugal setting. Its far far better than its cost suggests it should be. I am happy. My progression was steady, even though its uphill all the way to Malvern. Maybe the dangled carrot of brandy helped. Reaching Malvern vast cavernous yawns beckon me to lay my head.
Finally I am off road and biking the hills i know so well. Up Green Valley, right turn onto Lady Howard De Walden Drive, a track following a contour round North Hill and End Hill. No trees hereon in, the wind is stronger. To the east Great Malvern and the Link are lain beneath in a fantasy light show. All the time i scan for a likely camp, helped by the Hadron illuminating the slopes above. Now on the North side of North Hill my search continues in my preferred area. Goddamit where are any flat spots, eventually a cluster of bushes provide shelter and a barrier, I lay down, utilising my inbuilt spirit level, which has let me down a lot recently. This is the spot, the turf is dry, I feel sleep can happen with no cover over me whatsoever. But logic and the path of least resistance prevailed, why put up my bivi tent when i have a bivi.

So out comes another recent purchase, the Alpkit Kloke, and in no time i am sorted. 1200' feet up, sipping brandy (why didnt i bring three times the quantity doh!) I view the lights of North Malvern beneath, and Worcester in the distance, and the dark depopulated western side, facing Herefordshire. My camera batteries die in succession so this view or any of my night camp are not chronicled.
Yes for a dedicated tent user this bivi lark is ok, it makes sense now, though I remember to keep the hood unzipped a bit to allow air in (suffocation is not an option). The Kloke offers a respectable barrier to the growing wind, now colder. And methinks how much use it may get during the warmer months. As much as i understood and liked the Kloke I slept hardly at all. Mainly due to my Numo air mat which has a slow air leak and seems to slide down any incline. I wrestled inside this tiny environment while the bivi, air mat and sleeping bag refused to stay put. Numerous rabbit droppings underneath acted like stones when the mat deflated. A big learning curve, cant wait to put things right.

A new day arrives, colder, wetter and wiser lol. No people about on the track below. I munch a date and oat cake for brekkie with some squash for a dehydrated body. Makeup is quick in a bitter wind. The journey home is an easy jaunt, mainly downhill.

Equipment:
Whyte 19 Trail Steel
Alpkit Hadron light
Alpkit Kloke bivi
Alpkit Numo air mat
Terra Nova Elite 350 Down Bag
Hi Gear flannel pillow
Uraltour handlebar bag
Alpkit possum frame bag
Sonder Aluminium seat post + Alpkit Exo rail and Big Papa saddle bag (all fit together perfectly)

I have deliberately avoided stowing cooking gear to work out exactly what is my baseline equipment to bring and where to stow. I have a much better idea now and can introduce them next time. My load is becoming lighter and look forward to further improvements ready for WRT!!

Note to self:
Check ground thoroughly under bivi
Numo-mend
Consider my Thermarest
Stock up on Brandy/Whisky
Camera and useable batteries
Bring chocolate for late evening snack
Do two bivis in month to save last minute rush and increase experience
Purchase a tarp
Attachments
WCFeb22resize.jpg
WCFeb22resize.jpg (132.59 KiB) Viewed 1877 times
Last edited by NeilA on Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sponsored by Alpkit
Top buyer from Joe's shop, Weirdos on Bikes
NeilA

Post by NeilA »

27 February 2022...Another pic from my post cant seem to load more than one attachment!
Attachments
resize20.jpg
resize20.jpg (88.89 KiB) Viewed 1876 times
Sponsored by Alpkit
Top buyer from Joe's shop, Weirdos on Bikes
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

You can scratch me off the list I'm afraid. I'd hoped it would help motivate me and get me out of my depression. It hasn't . Good luck to everyone else and keep the trip reports coming, even if I'm no longer taking part I'll be following along.
Verena

Post by Verena »

sean_iow wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:45 pm Packing up in under 20 mins is good going, I'm sure it still takes me longer than that.
GoneCaving wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:03 pm As a newbie to this game, does anyone have any tips about keeping clothes dry? Or should I just HTFU and accept that I'm going to be getting back into damp bib and jersey when I get up?
Putting wet clothes back on in the morning is a right of passage for bikepacking :lol: it's only horrible to start with. If it's still raining then your kit will be getting wet anyway. If it's stopped raining it dries out as you ride. I find the thought of putting it back on is as bad as actually doing it.
I just sleep in all my clothes :oops:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Out.

I won't bore you with any excuses but will resume this month.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

@ScotRoutes - congratulations on your 100th.

I got out Tuesday / Wednesday of last week delayed because of the storms. Setting off mid afternoon I intended to ride to Hicks Lodge for a cuppa before heading South for another 5-6 miles to a bird hide. My initial route was scuppered by floods and I had to reroute onto roads. I made it to the cafe about 20 minutes before closing and left soon after 5. After a few false turns I got to the bird hide I had previously spotted and bedded down for the night. The next day I headed straight to Ashby de la Zouch Tesco for a bacon buttie, coffee and ablutions before making it home late morning. bam 2/12

https://www.strava.com/activities/6728309351

(thought I had posted pics to Instagram evidently I didn't)
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Verena wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:21 am I just sleep in all my clothes :oops:
I have done that and depending on circumstances might again, but if you're damp at all it's much warmer in dry kit. As a minimum putting on dry socks keeps the feet much warmer and if wearing padded shorts/bibs then getting out of therm and getting some air 'downstairs' is a good idea. I think it was Fitz that said that when racing he just pulls his bibs down to air the crutch, something I've also done on occasions.

On my BAMs I always change into dry and clean base layers as this keeps my sleeping bag clean and mud free.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Verena wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:21 am
I just sleep in all my clothes :oops:
I often do that too. There is a permutation of dampness, dirtiness and duration that I factor out in my head. I always have a (very) lightweight overnight kit with me though.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

2/2 - not with a bike, so on the technicalities of the BAM thread I'm out, but for why I'm here (bivvy a month rules minus the bike bit) - it's all good.

https://www.strava.com/activities/6680854980

Walking trip with a coupe of friends (who I first met through biking!). This was early feb (long weekend 11th-13th), sprinted up to Newcastle Friday night, Saturday morning we made our way across to Kielder Water, parking up by Keilder Castle.. Some walking later in glorious weather on the Saturday, stopped for a while at the pub in Falstone for food and drink. As it went dark we made our way up to Flittingford bothy. Lovely little cozy thing, technically space for 4 and there were 3 of us and 2 people already there, but had a nice evening and sleep, and as the other 2 were only doing a short walk back the next day they took our rubbish for us to save us lugging it around all day.

Sunday was wet and windy, we also came across many fallen trees on our route as we were taking smaller tracks, had to divert a few times and the weather was rain, wind, just grey clouds and repeat, but gradually getting milder as the day went on. We made our way to Wainhope Bothy...where we came across 19 people already camped up there, of Polish origin. In fairness they were all really nice, had chopped amble firewood and got them going, we sampled some of their polish sausage and alcoholic spirits, cooked some of our food, but then decided we'd head back to the car that day - it was going to be wet overnight, and whilst we may have been able to squash in somewhere, it felt like we were at a house party rather than a classic Bothy stop. My friends were a bit broken from the last trudge back to the car that we'd planned to do the next day, and I was starting to ache...but I think the right decision in the end. A nice little trip, gradually getting my mojo back I think.

Also a shout out to a couple of bits of kit I purchase last moment for this trip and were brilliant - it's the little things that make the difference! (And I appreciate the kit tips from others when they post them up) Evernew water carrier bottle thing, https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... iers-p3015 after some research I found out this has the same screw thread as the sawyer water filter and the water pouch that came with the sawyer is now a little tired - this comes in different size (as in volume) options and worked brilliantly, it even stands up on it's own when filled with water - better than the original IMHO. And the GSI Outdoors hip flask - https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... ask-p12983 good value and spot on volume for a weekend trip with a couple of friends, quite good quality IMHO - yeah it's not a nice Ti one, but this was perfectly acceptable and I was impressed.
GoneCaving

Post by GoneCaving »

sean_iow wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:07 am
I have done that and depending on circumstances might again, but if you're damp at all it's much warmer in dry kit. As a minimum putting on dry socks keeps the feet much warmer and if wearing padded shorts/bibs then getting out of therm and getting some air 'downstairs' is a good idea. I think it was Fitz that said that when racing he just pulls his bibs down to air the crutch, something I've also done on occasions.

On my BAMs I always change into dry and clean base layers as this keeps my sleeping bag clean and mud free.
Yep, that's what I've been doing. It's just the horrors of getting back into cold sweaty damp bib and jersey the following morning that I've been trying to figure out.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

GoneCaving wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:49 pm
sean_iow wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:07 am

Yep, that's what I've been doing. It's just the horrors of getting back into cold sweaty damp bib and jersey the following morning that I've been trying to figure out.
You just have to get on with it. The discomfort fades within a minute or two anyway, it's a bit like dipping your toe in the sea before diving in.

I've a specific baselayer set that I keep dry and only use for bivvying, makes a big difference to how warm you feel.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

whitestone wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:55 pm You just have to get on with it.
Yep. Just tell yourself that it's like being on Skegness beach. Bracing. Shouting a variety of obscenities at the same time always helps me.

In me caving days I remember one January having to climb into the day-before's wetsuit. Frozen up. I think I had to beat it into submission with a wheel brace for a while.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
GoneCaving

Post by GoneCaving »

RIP wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:39 pm
whitestone wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:55 pm You just have to get on with it.
Yep. Just tell yourself that it's like being on Skegness beach. Bracing. Shouting a variety of obscenities at the same time always helps me.
I shall try that.
In me caving days I remember one January having to climb into the day-before's wetsuit. Frozen up. I think I had to beat it into submission with a wheel brace for a while.
I'm trying hard to forget similar experiences!
Linkpin

Post by Linkpin »

As with many things in life, it's no bad thing to continue thinking that getting into wet clothing is going to be horrific, because if that's your expectation you will often be pleasantly surprised.

I've only been bivvying a very short time but it appears that some (most?) of the appeal is in embracing the bleaker elements of it as part of the fun.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Linkpin wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:07 am I've only been bivvying a very short time but it appears that some (most?) of the appeal is in embracing the bleaker elements of it as part of the fun.
Tis so. Had comments in the past that some of us actively seek unpleasantness. There's no need, plenty of it just comes along quite naturally without any encouragement! But when it does, it can be fun to laugh along with it. Fighting it generally ends in tears at bedtime.

Conversely if you deliberately cancel a plan simply because the weather looks dodgy you will certainly miss out on an 'experience' (*). Modify your gear not the plan. Obviously there are some limits to this approach :smile: , but you'd be surprised how high the bar is.

(*) I'm quite surprised this word hasn't made it into the swear filter yet to be honest.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Linkpin wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:07 am I've only been bivvying a very short time but it appears that some (most?) of the appeal is in embracing the bleaker elements of it as part of the fun.
Yes, some wear it as a badge of honour. Personally, I do all I can to avoid it.
GoneCaving

Post by GoneCaving »

From my perspective, one of my aims with BaM is to hone my skills and kit to the point that it's the least unpleasant it can be. With TD aspirations, I want to get comfortable camping and be able to get some decent sleep and rest.
RIP

Post by RIP »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:53 am
badge of honour
Nowt wrong with a badge of honour :grin: . You can no longer see the pattern on my BB gilet due to all the badges :roll: . DFC (*) and bar.

(*) I've just thought of an expansion of this acronym but I'm not going to say what it is.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Unpleasantness ... I don't actively seek it out but as Reg says, I'll roll with it when it arrives rather than trying to fight it. However, I prefer to use experience / skill / knowledge to remain as comfortable as I can for as long as I can. I can't understand when someone won't wear a really good waterproof (or bin bag / marigolds) because the fit isn't flattering or 'cycle specific' enough. Or when someone complains that their shelter got blown down in high winds, yet they chose to pitch on an exposed summit? etc etc.

Generally, the higher your unpleasantness threshold, then the less unpleasantness you believe you've suffered.
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

GoneCaving wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:05 am From my perspective, one of my aims with BaM is to hone my skills and kit to the point that it's the least unpleasant it can be. With TD aspirations, I want to get comfortable camping and be able to get some decent sleep and rest.
I found BAM very good for that as you tend not plan them as rigorously as a proper 'trip' so inevitably end up somewhere a bit marginal which then tests your spot finding and pitching skills.

Being a bit of a wimp I tend to go out of my way to find a good spot which will minimise the risks of having a crap night. I also tend to lean towards the 'best kit you can get' camp (pune or play on words) to further minimise discomfort and maximise relaxation and enjoyment. A couple of beers and a hip flask help :grin:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Circling back to the original discussion re putting on wet kit in the morning. Stripping off to put on the dry sleeping clothes when it's 3 degrees and you're stood on a bivi bag to keep your feet dry is only surpassed for unpleasantness by putting the wet/damp/sweaty/muddy* kit back on in the morning, but these two only add up to about 10 minutes of discomfort in total.

Sleeping in wet/damp/sweaty/muddy* clothes is a whole night of unpleasantness. My watch records my sleep time and how much is deep and light sleep** and once in my dry kit and tucked up in a warm bag I sleep as well, and often better, than I do at home. I used to wake in the night several times but these days I can sleep right through. I put this partially down to being in my comfy and dry base layers.

I think the point of my BAMs is to have a good time which is why I'll also try and pick good weather. If I want to spend all day riding in the rain and then spend the night shivering on a bothy floor in damp clothes I enter the HT550 :lol:

* Delete as applicable
** It might just make these numbers up so to be taken with a pinch of salt
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

[/quote]

Nowt wrong with a badge of honour :grin: . You can no longer see the pattern on my BB gilet due to all the badges :roll: . DFC (*) and bar.

(*) I've just thought of an expansion of this acronym but I'm not going to say what it is.
[/quote]

Delightful Fun Camper?? or in my case Dopey Fusty Crock :lol:
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.