Bivvy a month 2022

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

SR

Re: Bivvy a month 2022

Post by SR »

So I have started a bit late this year life events getting in the way. After putting it off as I not been out for ages. Went out on Saturday for a slightly damp evening but good to get back out. So hopefully will go March to March.

Sarah
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Another school night bivi for me, which worked well as I needed to be up early to look at some ladders at Newport Harbour in the morning and needed to get there before the tide came in. Bivied in a local woods I'd thought about checking out for a while*. I'd had a brief look a few weeks back on the ride home from work. Arrived late but the full moon and clear sky meant it was nearly light but it did cloud over later. When I got there I did my classic looking about for 20 minutes before settling on the spot I first saw when I got there :lol:

Slept well, as always, and up before 6. Thermometer said it dropped to 4 degrees overnight. Used my new (to me) Cumulus Ultralight 350 bag** which is fresh back from cleaning and it's made a noticeable difference to the loft. I woke up a bit chilly at one point but only my shoulders and the bag wasn't clinched at the top which soon sorted that. I think I could go below freezing if I put the MH Ghost Whisperer on as well.

Not as dangerous as it looks as the trees have been down for a long time, long enough for the kids to incorporate then into the cheeky trails and then the FC to get the hump about it and remove the woodwork, I think that's a bit of ramp left on the tree. The night before I was thinking it had been attached when the trees were up and they had fallen in perfect symmetry. In the light it is obvious that I slept on the track and the ramp over the tree is missing :lol: The remaining trees were all upright with no bits waiting to fall on me.

Up and packed away in no time. As per last month, it was much colder once out of the woods, the cold mist rolling across the lake at Wootton Bridge was quite a sight, but only just captured by the phone. The Heron didn't seem to care how cold the water was.

Made it to the Harbour before 7 for my survey work and then to the office to warm up and hang my gear about the place to air :grin:

3/3 for me and Ralph and 26 in a row.

* Isn't everywhere on the Island local?
** I think the fact this exists confirms that Cumulus and Criterion were once the same? It's identical to the Criteriom Ultralight 350 in every detail apart form the embroidering of the name.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:50 pm ** I think the fact this exists confirms that Cumulus and Criterion were once the same? It's identical to the Criteriom Ultralight 350 in every detail apart form the embroidering of the name.
Correct - I bought it not long before they changed names. Glad its still performing well :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

** I think the fact this exists confirms that Cumulus and Criterion were once the same? It's identical to the Criteriom Ultralight 350 in every detail apart form the embroidering of the name.
According to the owner of Criterion, no. He tells me quite strongly that the only tie was that both companies once used the same name. He's very adamant about it but I'm not entirely convinced that some other link didn't once exist.
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Just a lucky coincidence they ended up looking the same :wink:

Having just come back from professional cleaning it obviously ends up dusty from airing it on top of the large format plotter in the office :roll:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

3/3 :-bd
Despite the blue skies with wall to wall sunshine coupled with clear night skies and a full moon, this was an awful night out for me tbh. I took delivery just before I left yesterday of a new tarp, but it was 3x3m. Which is huge compared to my old faithful. The winds overnight were about 40 mph so it was a flappy old night with not much sleep. I even left the set up and just lay in the bivvy for a quieter couple of hours from around 4am.
But the views were stunning once again!
Image20220318_162917 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220318_191421-01 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220318_185125 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220319_045625 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220319_060741 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220319_061850 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220319_062220 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220319_064318 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220319_070457-01 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Another set of lovely photos.

I sympathise with your tarp woes. Larger tarps definitely flap more, irrespective of how well they are pitched.
Verena

Post by Verena »

O wow Jeff, beautiful skies
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Another spot I've had my eye on for a while...

Weather has been settled and dry for the past few days so I thought a wee summit bivvy was in order. The summit in question is Dun da Lamh and is the site of an old Pictish hill fort. A digital reconstruction is available here https://vimeo.com/468501724

I took a variety of road and off-road options to Newtonmore where I mosied into the Motor Grill for lasagne and chips. It was dark by the time I left.

This big stone marks the "Centre of Scotland". Ordnance Survey disagree but it's pretty close

My shelter was constructed in the 1940s.It was enough to get me out of the biting wind.

Settling in with a bit of rehydration

"It's full of stars!!"

I didn't have the best night. It wasn't too cold but I just couldn't get comfy on the rocks of the shelter. I'd spotted a sheltered grassy patch a few metres from the summit but by the time I was in my bag I couldn't be bothered moving.

Up just before dawn. Minus 3 and frosty.

Moonset

First sunrise of the Spring.

Bike propped up above the shelter, ready to depart.

I stopped at the Sugar Bowl cafe in Kingussie for second breakfast on my way home. That also gave the day a chance to warm up a wee bit.

Heading home

Almost home. Braeriach holding on to a bit of snow still.

That's 3/3 for 2022.
64th consecutive month.
101st bikepacking night.
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

There's some wonderful BaM's going on! Superb thread :-bd
Verena

Post by Verena »

Third time this year up on the common - I now regard this very much as an extension to my bedroom - just a lot bigger, with a better view, and less sub standard in it :lol:
Different spot each time though, this time on top of a little hillock (small old quarry), with a lovely little depression right on top of it to be sheltered from the wind and out of view - not that there's anyone likely to be passing by in the night. You could call it a sleepy hollow :lol:
Left home late again, after ten, and it was a perfectly still, starry night.
I thought I'd practice my TLS skills so went without mat or pillow, just sleeping bag and bivvy bag. I was comfy enough but did get a bit cold about 2am so blew up the mat, which was nice while it lasted (about half an hour :roll:)
For once, a couple of hot flushes during the night were actually rather welcome :-bd
In the afternoon, I had, for no particular reason other than I needed milk, and it's one of those posh farm shops selling lots of lovely, expensive things you don't actually need, picked up a rather random selection of snacks, which I nibbled on on and off through the night, which as usual was fidgety and not involving much actual sleep... I can recommend the fennel as a 3am snack, the camembert less so....
And then I was treated to a wonderful sunrise and moon setting/ fading the other side. Quite magical. Home just after 7.
3/3

ImageIMG_20220322_071250 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20220322_055734 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20220322_062314 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20220321_155731 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

March done with a rather boozy & windy one near Blea Tarn in that there Lakes... :-bd
2/3 for 2022
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Reckon you take the prize for Most Unusual BaM Vegetable there, V....

Eaten raw as well... wow....

Difficult month here what with various things, reckon I'm lining up for a nasty cliffhanger...
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:32 pm Reckon you take the prize for Most Unusual BaM Vegetable there, V....

Eaten raw as well... wow....

Difficult month here what with various things, reckon I'm lining up for a nasty cliffhanger...
Hey, what happened to picking a date and sticking to it come what may?? Hope you make it though...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

9 days yet Reg, plenty of time :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

I really should've taken that gigpacking opportunity, serious BaM malfunction that was. Ta for the slap there Phil, yep still third of the month left if you put it like that :smile: .

Verena, re vegetables, wasn't it you who said you ate a whole raw onion every day or am I getting you mixed up with someone else :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:27 pm Verena, re vegetables, wasn't it you who said you ate a whole raw onion every day or am I getting you mixed up with someone else :smile: .
Yuk, definitely someone else!
Linkpin

Post by Linkpin »

March done and tried a few new things as this is my third bivvy of this year... and ever!

Headed out early from work for some singletrack before sunset:
ImageIMG_20220322_172223 ImageIMG_20220322_172524 ImageIMG_20220322_173446

Was planning a longer ride than I've done before to a more remote bivvy spot but had to go back to work until nearly 2200 in the end (we're lambing at the moment so all hands on deck) so headed out then to find a spot I'd had in mind.

Some fun fast gravel out to the bivvy and found exactly the spot I wanted:
ImageIMG_20220322_221532ImageIMG_20220322_223808

A few tots of 15 year-old Glenlivet (bottle empty now - sending out urgent SOS into the universe) then to sleep. Got a bit cold in the night but mainly because I'd made a mess of the sleeping bag liner and was experimenting with no down jacket - will wear that again next time if temperatures are this low. Woke up to my favourite bivvy sunrise so far:

ImageIMG_20220323_053754ImageIMG_20220323_054152

Gorgeous crisp spin back along some grassy bits and mainly bumpy gravel, in awe at the wonder of nature and the beauty of this part of Wales. I don't know that early morning riding gets much better than this for me:

ImageIMG_20220323_055941ImageIMG_20220323_060052

Back to the lambing shed for the 0600 shift to see what was occurring (nothing much for once) and just time to have a cuppa and meet the recently returned house martins who were in full throat:

ImageIMG_20220323_060641ImageIMG_20220323_062705

Took all my gear in a backpack and liked the way the bike rode better for sure - think in future I'll try splitting it between frame bags and backpack to see what that's like. Tried out my wife's new sleeping mat (from the thread where I accidentally made it sound like I was planning to kill her: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21359&p=283436&hili ... ep#p283436) and although it was very comfortable and warm it was a bit too fat for the bivvy bag and made it a bit tight on space. Will go back to my Thermarest which is a better balance. Also tried out a new little inflatable pillow which I loved (I'm quite a bit softer than Verena, it appears - but I didn't eat any Camembert in the night either, so...).

3/3 and still absobloodylutely loving it. Can't believe this amazing weather we're having.
GoneCaving

Post by GoneCaving »

March BaM ticked off last night. After a frustrating day at work, it was so nice to head out on the bike at about 10pm. I took a leisurely, and fairly local, loop out to the coast, and then back through the village where I live, before heading up into a nearby forest where I'd scouted out a suitable spot to camp. The weather was lovely, and the clear skies an astronomer's delight. Instead of TLS, I'd gone for take more clothes, and managed to get some better rest, and maybe even a little sleep (still need a proper sleeping bag I reckon). The need for a pee at 5am, got my up, packed and home an hour before dawn. Definitely the best BaM so far!

A couple of pics: https://www.instagram.com/p/CbcHv2ktKbS/ (is there a way to embed pics directly from instagram or do I need to post them on flickr?).
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

GoneCaving wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:32 am A couple of pics: https://www.instagram.com/p/CbcHv2ktKbS/ (is there a way to embed pics directly from instagram or do I need to post them on flickr?).
So long as you can link to the actual picture, not the page holding the picture then you should be able to show them here. Not sure what Facebook's policy is here - they like everything to remain in their ghetto so they can serve adverts, you'll just have to try it. Have a look at the "How to insert pictures" viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5584 thread to see if anyone's done it.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Verena

Post by Verena »

Looks very nice there by the sea Duncan, and Linkpin gorgeous pictures, and "in awe at the wonder of nature and the beauty of this part of Wales" that's exactly how I feel every time I'm out in the early morning after a bivvy, well when it's a glorious sunrise anyway...
Whereabouts in Wales are you by the way?
I'm not hard by the way, just stupid....
Verena

Post by Verena »

Verena wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:28 pm Looks very nice there by the sea Duncan, and Linkpin gorgeous pictures, and "in awe at the wonder of nature and the beauty of this part of Wales" that's exactly how I feel every time I'm out in the early morning after a bivvy, well when it's a glorious sunrise anyway...
Whereabouts in Wales are you by the way?
I'm not hard by the way, just stupid....
Sorry just read back in time a bit, and found out that you're actually called Dave, are Black Mountains/ Monmouthshire based, and went bikepacking with mini dudes - cool! So we're practically neighbours :-bd
Linkpin

Post by Linkpin »

Verena wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:36 pmSorry just read back in time a bit, and found out that you're actually called Dave, are Black Mountains/ Monmouthshire based, and went bikepacking with mini dudes - cool! So we're practically neighbours :-bd
Excellent detective work!
Verena

Post by Verena »

Linkpin wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:42 pm
Verena wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:36 pmSorry just read back in time a bit, and found out that you're actually called Dave, are Black Mountains/ Monmouthshire based, and went bikepacking with mini dudes - cool! So we're practically neighbours :-bd
Excellent detective work!
Cheers, but I don't think I'll give up the day job just yet.... :wink:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Having more or less recovered from a bout of COVID I took my opportunity to bag my March BAM 3/3 on Thursday evening.
A pretty simple affair really - after work, road riding to a known spot not far from home for some kip under the stars and back in time for beakfast.
I used the (heavy as hell) Winter Downmat 7 WL with integrated pump that was primarily purchased for my wife to use family camping. It is bloody marvellous and a damn shame it weighs 1.2kg and ‘packs down’ to roughly 5L volume because I won’t be taking it on anything but the coldest rides in future.
I had a sound sleep and got the job done, looking forward to the next few months where my bivi’s are going to be something more adventurous than those just gone.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/05c8qTk ... Broadclyst
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC