Mild everywhere?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Mild everywhere?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is it unseasonably warm everywhere? I was down to a T shirt while digging today and even now you could be forgiven for thinking it was an April evening out there, yet a couple of weeks ago I was freezing my bollox off and even resorted to long trousers.
May the bridges you burn light your way
macinblack

Re: Mild everywhere?

Post by macinblack »

I had to wear a thick jacket to thread the christmas lights around our Monkey Puzzle tree, vicious thing that it is. Sweating conkers. Where's that ice age gone we were promised in the 70's?
Al

Post by Al »

It is here - I rode in to work this morning over the Mynd, no gloves on at 7am in the morning in December!
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Tropical down here. I even rode my bike outside this evening. But cold easterlies on the way for the weekend.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
RIP

Post by RIP »

Is it? I must admit I've only really come across it in the W Mids or Oop North. Makes a nice change from a pint of normal bitter or stout.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I just said much the same to Mrs S. Can't fathom that it was minus 3C last week.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Yes mild in North England as well
No winter kit has been used yet ( was ill for the cold snap though).
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Yup, and chilly again next week with sleet forecast here for Xmas, welcome to the UK!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is it? I must admit I've only really come across it in the W Mids or Oop North. Makes a nice change from a pint of normal bitter or stout.
I did mean to include a disclaimer regarding beverages ... although, you've got me thinking about the fact that once upon a time, pale ale was something only my nana drank, yet with the aid of good PR, it's now a favoured tipple amongst many. Same with gin - now everyone drinks it, not just 19th century London whores. Could mild become the next big thing? :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

:wink:

My nan always had a Mackeson watching the wrestling on Saturday afternoon telly. I had bread and dripping which apparently was a treat. All her mates sided with Big Daddy, but she always favoured Giant Haystacks. But we always were weird in Il'son.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

RIP wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:04 pm :wink:

My nan always had a Mackeson watching the wrestling on Saturday afternoon telly. I had bread and dripping which apparently was a treat. All her mates sided with Big Daddy, but she always favoured Giant Haystacks. But we always were weird in Il'son.
Not that weird. My gran had a stout everyday at lunch which was often tripe. I can still feel it slipping down my throat. Afters was Turkish Delight, equally minging.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Dave Barter wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:15 pm
RIP wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:04 pm :wink:

Not that weird. My gran had a stout everyday at lunch which was often tripe. I can still feel it slipping down my throat. Afters was Turkish Delight, equally minging.
bread and dripping.... tripe.... someone'll chip in soon trying to one-up (one-down?) us by relating their upbringing on cow-heel and trotters....

boxelder

Post by boxelder »

RIP wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:18 pm Is it? I must admit I've only really come across it in the W Mids or Oop North. Makes a nice change from a pint of normal bitter or stout.
:grin: A miners drink wasn't it? They could rehydrate without passing out. Cheaper too.
11 degs C in the Lakes - feels like late summer. They were skiing on Helvellyn last week.......
pale ale was something only my nana drank,
Big difference between Indian Pale Ale (originally bottled for the sub continent) and American Pale Ale and others, etc, etc. Got to welcome the variety on offer. Not gin though - always feel like I should be rubbing it into my feet.
EDIT - according to wikipedia, I am, as often, talking bollox and pale ales and bitters are the synonymous. The recent bandwagon of American Pale Ales are all about the hops/double dry hop etc. Mild is like grass track racing - only a matter of time before it rises again............
Last edited by boxelder on Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Never had tripe, we always had liver once a week when we were growing up. Still love lambs liver now, I have to cook it though, my wife won't go near it! In the summer my mum used to do an Ox tongue regularly, now that is a delicacy.

Mild in Northants today, 9 or 10ish and no wind to speak of.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Rob S wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:39 pm ..... no wind to speak of.
No Ox tongue or liver today then?
Can you still get Oxtail soup?
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

We used to often come home from school to a bowl in the kitchen with four hearts soaking in it. I loved roasted heart as a kid. Didn’t go so well when you brought a mate home for tea.
RIP

Post by RIP »

boxelder wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:19 am
Rob S wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:39 pm ..... no wind to speak of.
No Ox tongue or liver today then?
Can you still get Oxtail soup?
Just beat me to it, Rob :grin: .

Mild weather to oxtail soup via tripe.... yet another Great British Digression brought to you courtesy of BearBonesBikepacking :-bd
Last edited by RIP on Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

PS. This thread has turned out to be offaly amusing...... Dave for one has got his name up in lights.

Off you go........

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How about brains? My old man used to have cow brains boiled in milk as a kid ... not for me, I have to say.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I've never had tripe though I have had Andouilette which is basically the same thing in sausage form. I love the American name for cow brains: headcheese.
psling

Post by psling »

Do Brains brew a mild? (Just checked, indeed they do; a Dark Mild)

Oxtail soup - got a couple of cans in the cupboard right now :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

I wouldn't organ-arily be interested in this type of thread...
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Why don't you get the giblets with a turkey any more? I suppose it's fowl in most people's eyes...
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Mild everywhere? When I was in my mid 20’s I worked in an interesting pub, it was run by two gay blokes and possibly by the local hells angles wannabe’s, ‘‘twas also the best music venue for miles. One Saturday night my mates were rocking the place with a Pogues covers band, it’s was absolute mayhem, guitar players running around the pub on peoples shoulders, bar rocking back and forth by 3 inches and staff looking at the cellar ceiling wondering if it would collapse. At the absolute peak of ‘Sally McLeannane’ I turned around sharpish to serve another thirsty punter/friend and knocked the Mild tap off with my elbow..
Things would possibly been better if I haven’t decided that my finger would be able to stem the flow, unlike Peter I didn’t have any heroic effects apart from spraying half the pub in cheap beer, it even covered the band, they didn’t miss a beat. Happy days :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark