Leave no trace: mainstream media

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Lazarus

Re: Leave no trace: mainstream media

Post by Lazarus »

I don't see the position today as any different from the days of Johnson and Boswell touring Scotland and writing about it, or David Attenborough showing everyone turtles on a beach, thereby encouraging folk to go and have a look themselves,
Its a bit easier to do things these days and some people will do it just to post it - how many no idea as I dont do IG or FB or any of that stuff so no idea. However its certainly must be influencing people as the stars are called influencers :wink:

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-46342915
See how they queue for the shot
I do agree with the generational dig and anything can be a force for good or bad. I mean you can cycle on footpaths in town centres at night with no lights so not even bikes are univerally vaguely exciting [ they are it the riders who let them down ]
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

I just clicked on that link above regarding the Wanaka photo spot. It reminded me of when my wife and I were travelling around New Zealand in a camper van thirteen or fourteen years ago. We were somewhere on the south island and found an idyllic waterfall that was mentioned in the lonely planet guide, perfect spot for lunch. We settled down on our picnic blanket when this coach screeched to a halt behind us, off jumped fifty odd Japanese or Chinese tourists. The men nearly all wore suits and the women looked like they were dressed for dinner, despite it being a scorching hot day. They formed an orderly queue, out came the selfy sticks and they all got a photo of themselves in front of the waterfall. Then they jumped back onto the coach which roared off. They couldn't have been there for longer than ten minutes. It was just bizarre, all that serene beauty seemed to completely go over their heads.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Rob S wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:34 pm I just clicked on that link above regarding the Wanaka photo spot. It reminded me of when my wife and I were travelling around New Zealand in a camper van thirteen or fourteen years ago. We were somewhere on the south island and found an idyllic waterfall that was mentioned in the lonely planet guide, perfect spot for lunch. We settled down on our picnic blanket when this coach screeched to a halt behind us, off jumped fifty odd Japanese or Chinese tourists. The men nearly all wore suits and the women looked like they were dressed for dinner, despite it being a scorching hot day. They formed an orderly queue, out came the selfy sticks and they all got a photo of themselves in front of the waterfall. Then they jumped back onto the coach which roared off. They couldn't have been there for longer than ten minutes. It was just bizarre, all that serene beauty seemed to completely go over their heads.
I had a similar experience on Yr Wyddfa. We were three strangers at the cairn, sitting and chatting. The train pulled in, there was 10 minutes of mayhem, then the crowd headed off to buy bacon rolls and tat.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

People are wierd. They stand around for a good 20 minutes waiting for Old Faithfull to go off in Yellowstone Park. It only gushes for about 3 or 4 minutes yet after 30 seconds a huge number of people have already turned away and are wobbling off to the gift shop or restaurant having got their photo.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:29 pm I had a similar experience on Yr Wyddfa.
Congratulations on being one of the few that give Snowdon it’s true name. I wouldn’t mind betting that few Welsh people do either
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
HUX

Post by HUX »

I had a similar experience on Yr Wyddfa aswell. I decided to ride/push up to the summit from Llanberis and whilst riding the last 2-300meters the train chugged passed loaded with Americans all gawping at me. I'd just sat down and was instantly surrounded by XXXL stone washed denim, fat bellies, tennis shoes,white socks,pale legs and stetsons.... oh and really loud voices. Taking fotos of me and selfies amazed that there was an idiot with a bike up a mountain. I just got up and rode back down :roll:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

This amused me today, lovely insta picture with the caption and then a lot of hash tags…
Attachments
9F8F83A1-E060-4DAB-96F6-07BA8B368C97.jpeg
9F8F83A1-E060-4DAB-96F6-07BA8B368C97.jpeg (152.58 KiB) Viewed 931 times
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yeah...

So do folk save these hashtags so they can automatically apply them or are they typing them in each time?
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:49 pm Yeah...

So do folk save these hashtags so they can automatically apply them or are they typing them in each time?
An ex-girlfriend used to add dozens of # by some kind of copy/paste as a reply to the original post I think.
jameso

Post by jameso »

#outsideisfree :smile:

/but never free from phone time
/but my bike cost £6k
/etc
Verena

Post by Verena »

jameso wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:24 am #outsideisfree :smile:

/but my bike cost £6k
/etc
:lol:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

jameso wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:24 am #outsideisfree :smile:

/but my bike cost £6k
/etc
Classic :lol:

(Even if I am guilty of taking loads of pictures :oops: )