Practicing being rufty tufty!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Re: Practicing being rufty tufty!

Post by whitestone »

Somewhat curiously/serendipitously I was listening to Steve Lamaqc on the way home tonight and today's "national anthem" was for the coining of the term "Bingo" in 1929 for the traditional lottery card game. Supposedly the game itself originated in the 16th century.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

rollindoughnut wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:21 pm Luckily unless I take up golf, drape a cardigan over my shoulders or wear red trousers, I should avoid 'House!'
Better not come over to the Island for Cowes Week, 2 of those are compulsory for watching yacht racing :lol:

Putting back on freezing cold soaking wet riding kit is a right of passage for bikepacking :wink: and it never gets any nicer.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

I used to have a little 20' twin keel yacht that I moored over at Thorney Island. Used to sail over to the IOW but found Cowes not my sort of place. Fortunately came across Wooton Creek sailing club which was much more my cup of tea.
My boat was a Sea Wych (which we called the Sea Bych). I rigged an 8 foot scaffold pole off the bow as a bowsprit so I could fly the oversize jib someone gave me.
One time, roaring down the Solent at 6 knots, massively overcanvassed, we were overhauled by a J-Class. The skipper gave me a wave and a thumbs up. I was so proud.
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

Back on topic, my wife has informed me that bivy bag writhing would not incur a strike. I knew she was a keeper.
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

But flat caps have been added to the game card.
Gotta keep my wits about me in this marriage.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Good thread and good reminder to myself. I have my final bivy left and plan to do it on 20th Dec riding to London. I'll have to be careful I don't freeze up sleeping somewhere near/past Liecester. Good tips aboit the clothes thanks everyone..
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

Practiced being ruffty tufty out in Storm Eunice yesterday! Left home after the peak windspeeds had passed and rode/clambered over trees for five hours to get to the South Downs.
It was wild on the tops so we bivied inside a hawthorn thicket like sheep. It worked perfectly.
Up at 6am to savour a sublime if a little chilly dawn, then home via a cafe for breakfast.
Brilliant!
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

More rufty tufty adventures this weekend riding the YD300 route. Had a very chilly bivy on the Saturday night. Still snow on the ground above 500m.
Gaining confidence in my kit now.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

rollindoughnut wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:53 pm Practiced being ruffty tufty out in Storm Eunice yesterday! Left home after the peak windspeeds had passed and rode/clambered over trees for five hours to get to the South Downs.
It was wild on the tops so we bivied inside a hawthorn thicket like sheep. It worked perfectly.
Up at 6am to savour a sublime if a little chilly dawn, then home via a cafe for breakfast.
Brilliant!
Hi there - South Downs is within an hour or so of riding, from me (Crawley) where are you based?
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

Hiya.
I live in Tonbridge. I get down to Jevington on the Downs via Heathfield and then the cuckoo trail. Usually takes 3hrs but climbing over trees added a couple of hours that night!
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Ah , Cuckoo trail.

Sounds like a similar route to me - over to Southwater, then along the Downslink to the South Downs. Need to do a few bivvy trips that way, this year
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

I really like the Downslink. Lovely way to get between the N&S Downs.