Some thoughts on gloves...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richpips

Some thoughts on gloves...

Post by Richpips »

After having a tidy, I thought I'd write this to justify why I own so many pairs of hand coverings.

Do you get cold hands riding your bike in winter?

Here's some tips on keeping them toastie warm.

1. Always carry at least one spare pair of gloves.

2. If you want really warm hands wear fleece lined mittens with a wind/water resistant outer, yes dexterity can be compromised, but I'll take that hit.

3. Pogies (bottom right) aka "your Mum's oven gloves" will keep your hands warm and dry in freezing conditions.

4. Layer gloves. The top R pairs will fit inside that blue glove gore-tex glove, which has a separate fleece mitt inside.

5. Seven of the gloves pictured employ waterproof fabrics, none of them are waterproof because of that big hole your hand goes in.

6. I've used a long pair of fleece socks doubled over my hands in the past when I ignored rule 1.
Lazarus

Re: Some thoughts on gloves...

Post by Lazarus »

Can I just add I like neoprene for commuting 1 hour each way
Never dry but always warm
Always damp so never tried.them for hours on end

How good are poggies I'm the rain ?
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Lazarus wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:01 pm Can I just add I like neoprene for commuting 1 hour each way
Never dry but always warm
Always damp so never tried.them for hours on end

How good are poggies I'm the rain ?
Yep, I've got some neoprene gloves which I find OK for a couple of hours, but not a long day.

Pogies strength is the massive air pocket that provides a greenhouse effect. I've had water pool in mine, but you don't really touch the bottom of the inner.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Not found any waterproof globes that don't make me clammy or leak so considering pogies ( but they are not cheap hence me asking )
Ta
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Lazarus wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:08 pm Not found any waterproof globes that don't make me clammy or leak so considering pogies ( but they are not cheap hence me asking )
Ta
Hot pogs are cheap but they've been out of stock for a while....
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Type "Handlebar Muffs/Gloves" into Amazon loads of options around £20.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

fatbikephil wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:10 pm
Lazarus wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:08 pm Not found any waterproof globes that don't make me clammy or leak so considering pogies ( but they are not cheap hence me asking )
Ta
Hot pogs are cheap but they've been out of stock for a while....
Basic HotPogs can now be ordered, black only.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Interesting Rich.

Pogies.

They remind me of the thread about that 'eureka' moment.
I definately had and still have such a moment using them.

I have ....
No gloves
Summer gloves (long fingers)
Shoulder season gloves
Light winter gloves
Pogies

Thankfully that's all I go with - not necessarily what I really would need, since I often ride with cold fingers, but kind of like it. When on a multi day trip in shoulder season or winter, I mostly have spares with me too.
ton

Post by ton »

i have 2 pairs of gloves.
1 pair of Rab fleece things for most of the year. 1 pair of Marmot guide gloves. for proper cold.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Are Showa gloves popular amongst cyclists? I've been meaning to try some for hiking for years but my ten year old TuffBag mitts refuse to die first
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If my hands get wet which they nearly always do when wearing waterproof gloves, they become very cold and cease to function. Weirdly, I solve the problem by removing my gloves and riding without. The problem seems to be caused by encasing my hands in wet material rather than them simply being wet.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Keeping hands warm is easy, Buffalo or Dachstein mitts will do that. I struggle to find something that still gives you the dexterity to use brakes and change gear though.
I've got some Dachstein gloves somewhere, they'd be dextrous enough and I could imagine they'd keep your hands warm in a cold drizzle. Not sure how they'd cope with a real downpour.
I can see myself going the pogies route at some point.
ton

Post by ton »

i need some new gloves.this post has spurred me on. mitts or full finger. to work with a rohloff shifter.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

.Basic HotPogs can now be ordered, black only.
Thanks looked last week and we're still out of stock ( at least a year I reckon ) so ordered
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I used these on the BB200.

https://www.justgloves.co.uk/Work-Glove ... per-Gloves

Wore them pretty much non-stop for 23 hours. I was really impressed. Much more comfortable than a wet fabric glove. Reckon they might work well with over-mitts at colder temperatures.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Charliecres wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:38 pm I used these on the BB200.

https://www.justgloves.co.uk/Work-Glove ... per-Gloves

Wore them pretty much non-stop for 23 hours. I was really impressed. Much more comfortable than a wet fabric glove. Reckon they might work well with over-mitts at colder temperatures.
I use those in work everyday, good pair of gloves. Tried them on the bike but didn’t quite like them, probably reminded me of work too much :lol: They’re also weird when the get wet as the grips become super tacky
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I honestly reckon I could cobble together over 30 pairs of gloves just for me in my house. Combination of cycling gloves, outdoorsy gloves, motorcycle gloves and day to day gloves. I also have a pair of pogies!
jobro

Post by jobro »

Will pogies work with drop handlebar set ups?
Are there specific drop bar pogies?

Having spent all my cycling life suffering from cold extremities, I now find in my dottage that I can ride without gloves for most of the year. Keeping warm for me is about allowing sufficient peripheral perfusion and keeping hands/feet dry. Pogies seem the ideal for me (in theory I've not tried them yet)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Are there specific drop bar pogies?
Bar Mitts make drop bar pogies https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bar-Mitts-Ro ... N8QAvD_BwE
May the bridges you burn light your way
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I'm a big pogie fan, having cold hands from what's probably mild Reynaud's. I can still get cold hands wearing liner gloves inside Alpkit pile-lined pogies though. That's just poor my body is at keeping its extremities warm.

I've got some neoprene drop bar pogies similar to the ones Stu linked (they were much cheaper, £12 or something, but a couple of years ago so maybe that's just the way prices have gone). Important to realise you can only use the hoods with them. You can grip the drops outside the pogies if you really need to, but it's not comfortable. It's a little bit sketchy as you can't get your hands out very quickly.

I saw very recently a new design that was intended for both flat and drop bars. Looked better. I think it was from one of the eastern European (poss. Ukrainian) cottage luggage makers. Sorry, can't remember exactly.
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

thenorthwind wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:49 am I'm a big pogie fan, having cold hands from what's probably mild Reynaud's. I can still get cold hands wearing liner gloves inside Alpkit pile-lined pogies though. That's just poor my body is at keeping its extremities warm.

I've got some neoprene drop bar pogies similar to the ones Stu linked (they were much cheaper, £12 or something, but a couple of years ago so maybe that's just the way prices have gone). Important to realise you can only use the hoods with them. You can grip the drops outside the pogies if you really need to, but it's not comfortable. It's a little bit sketchy as you can't get your hands out very quickly.

I saw very recently a new design that was intended for both flat and drop bars. Looked better. I think it was from one of the eastern European (poss. Ukrainian) cottage luggage makers. Sorry, can't remember exactly.
https://7rbags.com/product/pogies/
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

AndreR wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:12 pm
https://7rbags.com/product/pogies/
Thems the ones.
ChrisE

Post by ChrisE »

I carry a pair of these. They make a huge difference and at 26grams, they are always in my bags

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... itt-p14672

I also have these that are identical but much cheaper

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/adult-mou ... R-p-158553

Chris
FLV

Post by FLV »

I've never tried pogies on a push bike, strikes me that if its cold enough to be icy out, you may want to 'arrest' a fall quite suddenly and having your hand enclosed may be an issue. Or is this simple not an issue once you get used to them?

As I say, never used them so I am asking rather than criticizing.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

FLV wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:22 pm I've never tried pogies on a push bike, strikes me that if its cold enough to be icy out, you may want to 'arrest' a fall quite suddenly and having your hand enclosed may be an issue. Or is this simple not an issue once you get used to them?

As I say, never used them so I am asking rather than criticizing.
It's not an issue.

(In any case, my experience is that trying to arrest a fall without an outstretched arm isn't necessarily a good thing :lol: )