Have I f&@#ed up my jacket?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

substandard

Have I f&@#ed up my jacket?

Post by substandard »

Made a bit of a post bb200 sleep deprived error yesterday.

Threw my Columbia outdry in the washing machine (which I’ve done before no issues) except this time I’d accidentally used fabric softener/conditioner which the label explicitly says not to!

It’s a red and grey one with pit zips, the red areas look fine, however the grey areas loads of the ‘scale’ has come off and is all over the rest of the washing, any ideas if that’s my ever reliable out dry barrier rendered useless?
thenorthwind

Re: Have I f&@#ed up my jacket?

Post by thenorthwind »

Doesn't sound like the best thing (as you've probably realised), but after about a year, my Outdry jacket started shedding its "scales" (that seems like the best way to describe them so presume it's the same thing) too. I was worried it would affect the waterproofing, so much that I considered returning it under warranty. Columbia suggested I sent it to them for inspection (but no indication from them what it might be, whether that's common, or anything - suspect the UK operation is just sales/distribution) but in the end I just kept it and it doesn't seem to have stopped it keeping the water out. That was two years ago.
substandard

Post by substandard »

Aah okay, maybe it’s not as bad as I had feared.

Mine must be getting on for 2 years old I guess, never noticed it before which is the weird thing
Mart

Post by Mart »

thenorthwind wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:01 pm Doesn't sound like the best thing (as you've probably realised), but after about a year, my Outdry jacket started shedding its "scales" (that seems like the best way to describe them so presume it's the same thing) too. I was worried it would affect the waterproofing, so much that I considered returning it under warranty. Columbia suggested I sent it to them for inspection (but no indication from them what it might be, whether that's common, or anything - suspect the UK operation is just sales/distribution) but in the end I just kept it and it doesn't seem to have stopped it keeping the water out. That was two years ago.
Same - some of my scales have shedded, but not noticed it being any different
I did spray it, before the HT, just because I was doing other stuff.
2924 miles per Gallon
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Mine is over 3 years old and I don't recognise the description of "scales". It's an EX Gold, so maybe some different material/technology involved?
substandard

Post by substandard »

I would add a picture. It that is beyond my skillset!

Wouldn’t even know where to host an image these days!
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:24 pm Mine is over 3 years old and I don't recognise the description of "scales". It's an EX Gold, so maybe some different material/technology involved?
Quite possibly, though mine must be about the same age. It's just badged "OutDry" with a green logo - it's the one made from recycled plastic: Ex Tech Eco? Something like that.

Found the thread I started when I first noticed it, which has a pic: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15519
substandard

Post by substandard »

Mine is exactly as per your pic in terms of shedding ‘scales’