Which 3 to 4 Season Glove do you Recommend?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

The Cumbrian

Which 3 to 4 Season Glove do you Recommend?

Post by The Cumbrian »

Up until last week, I had a pair of Giro Blaze gloves, which I was very happy with. Unfortunately I lost one, which has vexed me greatly.
I really liked them, so I'm probably going to get the same again. The only slight downside is that they aren't very good on my phone screen; even though they're supposedly screen friendly, I had to take a glove off half the time for all but the most basic tasks. This isn't too onerous because they have a stretchy cuff, but I'd rather not remove one if I don't have to.
Before I pull the trigger on another pair, has anyone got a recommendation that fulfills the following criteria:

Windproof softshell construction.
Reinforced / slightly padded palm.
Touch screen friendly.
Does not have an overly long cuff, or any kind of fastening.

Cheers, Michael.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Which 3 to 4 Season Glove do you Recommend?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Pogies - I appreciate they're not a glove nor an answer to your question but I've found they are the answer to cold / wet hands.
May the bridges you burn light your way
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I'm thinking about making some pogies for when it gets properly cold. I've got some old pertex and pile booties knocking about somewhere that should be fairly easy to convert.
Bilbo Baggins.
rivers

Post by rivers »

+1 on the pogies. I've already put mine on for the winter. I think my wife bought them off of wish for about £20. Rock Bros brand.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If anyone wants to try pogies on the cheap, I was buying some stainless bends the other day and spotted these: https://www.ooracing.com/handle-bar-hand-muff.html
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Whilst I do love pogies, I also love pertex pile mitt combos.

I've just ordered some MONTANE EXTREME MITT https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/mon ... ku-mon1930
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

Richpips wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:51 pm Whilst I do love pogies, I also love pertex pile mitt combos.

I've just ordered some MONTANE EXTREME MITT https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/mon ... ku-mon1930
They look like an even warmer version of my favourite handwarmers that I've been using for years, Buffalo mitts. It's amazing how quickly a bit of Pertex and pile can warm your hands up.
Bilbo Baggins.
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:39 pm If anyone wants to try pogies on the cheap, I was buying some stainless bends the other day and spotted these: https://www.ooracing.com/handle-bar-hand-muff.html
Nice one Stu, that's just saved me butchering my old footwarmers, and it'll look better than the sky blue Pertex they're made from.
Bilbo Baggins.
Al

Post by Al »

Just revived a pair of the budget porgies Stu linked.
They are crazy thick - you would need some serious cold to use them! I guess motor bikers aren’t generating much heat though.
There also isn’t a huge amount of room inside. I’ve got thumbshifters on my hard tail and am not sure I’ve got enough spare to use them. Might be ok with regular under the bar jobs. I’ll have another look later but might end up returning them.

I’ve got a pair of those montane extreme mits - don’t use them for biking but take them as spares for winter hill walking. They pack small and are super warm. Quite like the buffalo mitt but with a layer of primaloft on the back, so warmer but don’t dry out so quickly once soaked through.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Pogies look great - might treat myself to a set. Regarding gloves, I find that the Aldi winter ones are ideal, and about 1/3 the price of others. Kept my hands happy all the way through strathpuffer, even though my toes got frostbite the same weekend. The also do a lobster claw set sometimes.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Richpips wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:51 pm Whilst I do love pogies, I also love pertex pile mitt combos.

I have a set of these that I take to Norway etc (admittedly with an inner glove for when it's stupid cold). They're excellent.
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

I have reynauds and ride with drops so pogies not really an option but the only thing that works is using two or three gloves like layering with clothes. I have some merino liners, with some mid weight gloves on top with some mitts on top.
Boab

Post by Boab »

I briefly pondered getting one of the Dissent 133 glove systems, but I'd already bought a couple of rather spendy Assos options in an attempt to do something similar.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.