DWR coating

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

woodsmith

DWR coating

Post by woodsmith »

Any aftermarket DWR coatings that actually work? The Nikwax stuff is poor show. And no, I can't afford an outdry/ shakedry jacket before anyone mentions it.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: DWR coating

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've tried most but sadly I've not found anything that works for more than a short time. Fabricating a nice smock from a bin bag and wearing over the top works wonders :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

The tumble dry stuff by Grangers can get great results* but you’ve got to brave enough time in the tumble drier for it to be effective

*ive had results ranging from ‘whydidibother’ to ‘holycrapitslikenew’ using it
ton

Post by ton »

i need a whole body DWR coating. went out today for a couple of hours, and got my 1st proper soaking through. properly drenched to the undies.
i need to re think my winter set up.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

woodsmith wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:29 pm Any aftermarket DWR coatings that actually work?
I wanted to write no, but... silicone, wax... :wink:
In my experience, Grangers, Nikwax et al. work best when "heat treated" with an iron. Check the right settings for your garment.
Not all hardshells like tumbledrying, especially some of the PU membrane stuff.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

woodsmith wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:29 pm can't afford an outdry/ shakedry jacket before anyone mentions it.
Outdry will save you a fortune in new jackets and DWR and getting wet and miserable.

Save a few more pennies and look for an Outdry bargain.

Mine's as good as new and was one of the first batch from many years ago.

A quick google found this XL in a shitty white colour for just £72.

https://www.slamjam.com/en_GB/man/cloth ... t=deeplink
search longer and find a bargain in the size and colour you like.

Or on offer from Columbia themselves
https://www.columbiasportswear.co.uk/p/ ... lsrc=aw.ds
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

JohnClimber wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:26 pm

Good find, will try for the second time to get one!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've had better results with Granger's/Nikwax if done by hand rather than in a washing machine.

However, I'm expecting all the Paramo fans to amaze us with their pearls of wisdom given that it relies so heavily on DWR.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Oops
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:50 pm I've had better results with Granger's/Nikwax if done by hand rather than in a washing machine.
What a wonderfully easy and great idea. Will try that next time :-bd
Any advice on how long to let it soak, luke warm water?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:50 pm I've had better results with Granger's/Nikwax if done by hand rather than in a washing machine.

However, I'm expecting all the Paramo fans to amaze us with their pearls of wisdom given that it relies so heavily on DWR.
Bung it in the washing machine with TX-10 and the jobs a good'un. But Paramo has two layers to make it waterproof so doesn't rely on the DWR of the outer so much.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Alpinum wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:07 pm
What a wonderfully easy and great idea. Will try that next time :-bd
Any advice on how long to let it soak, luke warm water?
Wash item in machine at 30-40C
Fill basing with water at 30-40C.
Add DWR liquid and swish around to disperse it.
Add clean garment.
Agitate well by hand.
Let water cool for a while.
Empty out basin and add cold water.
Rinse garment.
Spin, or hang to (almost) dry
Put in tumble drier on a gentle heat if garnment care instructions allow.

Oh - wear household/latex gloves when treating the garment. You'll understand why should you forget :lol:
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

It's all in the application. Gore use a brand of DWR that's readily available to everyone (and has been mentioned in this thread) on their fabric before it goes out. It isn't a proprietary product as many think. It is however, applied with a specific process (think high heat).
jameso

Post by jameso »

I've only used the Nikwax stuff by hand, Techwash and spray-on DWR, and had durable results on Goretex. Would echo Scotroutes' comment about wearing gloves, which I didn't do first time.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

stevenshand wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:45 pm It's all in the application. Gore use a brand of DWR that's readily available to everyone (and has been mentioned in this thread) on their fabric before it goes out. It isn't a proprietary product as many think. It is however, applied with a specific process (think high heat).
If you know how its done and what with why not justy tell us rather than being cryptic?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Has any had any long-term success? I've achieved results that were great but only for a short time.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:58 am Has any had any long-term success? I've achieved results that were great but only for a short time.
I've previously used the hand application in a bowl rather than the washing machine method. First time was reasonably successful but not particularly long lived and each subsequent treatment has been progressively more dissapointing on both counts. ( Goretex jacket)
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

woodsmith wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:51 am
stevenshand wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:45 pm It's all in the application. Gore use a brand of DWR that's readily available to everyone (and has been mentioned in this thread) on their fabric before it goes out. It isn't a proprietary product as many think. It is however, applied with a specific process (think high heat).
If you know how its done and what with why not justy tell us rather than being cryptic?
Not trying to be cryptic, just passing on what I can without breaking the terms of a contract. Really just making the point that with good process (hight heat), results similar to what leaves the factory can be achieved by the general public. Bear in mind that the process in the factory involves flat rolls of fabric not garments so the process details wouldn't be much use anyway.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yeah, I'd assumed a process which made garments wouldn't survive, what with taping etc.
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

I ‘spose just coating everything in Fabsil Gold will just bugger up the breathability, mind if that’s not an issue for you
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

UnderTheRadars wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:22 am I ‘spose just coating everything in Fabsil Gold will just bugger up the breathability, mind if that’s not an issue for you
Even fairly low levels of activity seem to overwhelm the breathability of goretex. I'll take 100% waterproof over breathability every time now.
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

UnderTheRadars wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:22 am I ‘spose just coating everything in Fabsil Gold will just bugger up the breathability, mind if that’s not an issue for you
It might be obvious but the DWR has a huge impact on the breathability and comfort of Goretex. If the fabric is wetting out (becoming saturated) then the breathability is massively reduced. It also plays a big part in how warm the jacket will feel, especially against bare skin. A saturated (but still waterproof) jacket will feel like it's sucking heat away from your body at a much higher rate than a dry (DWR protected) jacket, making the fabric feel cold and clammy.
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

JohnClimber wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:26 pm
woodsmith wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:29 pm can't afford an outdry/ shakedry jacket before anyone mentions it.
Outdry will save you a fortune in new jackets and DWR and getting wet and miserable.

Save a few more pennies and look for an Outdry bargain.

Mine's as good as new and was one of the first batch from many years ago.

A quick google found this XL in a shitty white colour for just £72.

Thanks for that John, just ordered one. Had my first proper wet ride of the year on Tuesday night and came back wetter than an Otters pocket. My Alpkit Gravitas has been excellent for about 4 years with yearly Nikwax treatments but following it's first tumble dry to improve the Nikwax finish earlier in the year finish has gone funny in a few places and leaky as well.
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Just discovered, this morning, that the DWR coating on my craghoppers jacket (not used for cycling) has given up the ghost.
I'll be applying nikwax reproofer, via a hand wash, and will report back.

Ultimately, I think I'll get an Outdry jacket, but not keen on the grey or the white - they don't seem to do them in blue, anymore.
Also, curiously, the do seem to make Outdry trousers.

EDIT - "don't"
Last edited by belugabob on Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Also, curiously, the do seem to make Outdry trousers.
They used to.