Tubeless inflator

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

petemaz

Tubeless inflator

Post by petemaz »

Just noticed a few small compact air inflators in the local TK Maxx, those RAC branded portable ones that plug into cig lighters. They said up to 100 psi, so would these be suitable to give the suitable blast to mount the bead? Been using the come bottle method, but it's a bit of a chore at times 🙂
Thanks as always..
ScotRoutes

Re: Tubeless inflator

Post by ScotRoutes »

Nope. You need high volume. These are high pressure but low volume
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

petemaz wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:28 am come bottle method
<snigger>

:lol:

Serious answer: probably not. Pushing air in quickly is the key, for which you need either a big compressor capable of compressing quickly, or a tank (e.g. "come bottle") that's pressurised and can be released quickly. This mini compressor might be able to get something to 100psi, but that will be reliant on it already being sealed and it being able to slowly increase the pressure.
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

Haha, darn predictive text! Yeah that's what I thought...thanks folks 👍
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

You can make a pop bottle one for pence personally i use a fire extinguisher (9 litres but wish it was less when filling it) it cost me a tenner from eBay
slarge

Post by slarge »

Or you could pump up the fire extinguisher / pop bottle with the RAC inflator thing, then inflate the tyre. I find pumping up the airshot/coke bottle the most frustrating bit..... (especially if the tyre doesn't go up 1st time)
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Lazarus wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:18 pm You can make a pop bottle one for pence personally i use a fire extinguisher (9 litres but wish it was less when filling it) it cost me a tenner from eBay
Are you using a standard water extinguisher - sans water -charged with air?
They have a schrader valve for charging, right?
Take off the water nozzle and add the head from a track pump?

I think I may give that a whirl.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I am indeed using exactly that - you need to alter the tubing to fit the valve but i got lucky in that the one i had fitted the inside of the cut fire extnguisher tube and was secured with a jubileee clip.
9l is pain to do with a track pump[ you will be doing a work out to get it to 120 psi] hence i would advise a smaller size
EDIT: you also need to unscrew the top and tke the inner bit out - it easily unscrews - i mean hit it with a hammer to undo !
Last edited by Lazarus on Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Most of the DIY inflators I've seen don't have a track pump head, just an open tube that's a nice close fit with the valve stem. There's normally some sort of valve in the system that's either fully on or off (e.g. fire extinguisher handle). Adding a track pump head will slow the air down, and limit the quick burst of air you want for seating tyres.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

yes Missed that bit bearlegged is correct and i just use a tube that seals on to the valve [ you need to hold it by hand ]. I also always take the valve out the tubeless set up and then reinstall it - you lose some air but the main thing you want is lots of air in quickly to seat a tyre.

People have also used other fire extinguishers and added their own tubeless valve to them to inflate
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

They may not be ideal, but I've used a 12V mini compressor to seat a tubeless tyre. I did one with a track pump and furious pumping, but the other wasn't having it. I attached it and ran the compressor, I then had both hands to manipulate the tyre and wheel and the bead popped into place.

It was one of those RAC ones as well.
joesteve

Post by joesteve »

I use a Hozelock garden sprayer with the lance removed and it works pretty well. Pump it up with the hose kinked and then let it go once the thing is at pressure.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

joesteve wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:55 pm I use a Hozelock garden sprayer with the lance removed and it works pretty well. Pump it up with the hose kinked and then let it go once the thing is at pressure.
I did the same with and old Lidl 'Florest' sprayer worked great until I dropped it. (unpressurised) phew.. but the same [edit] smell of Insecticide lingered...
I also..
added a valve pump it with the track pump..
** increased the spring on the pressure release valve. **
else it topped out about 30psi :wink:
Last edited by ledburner on Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Anyone every tried spraying in a bunch of hairspay and igniting it?
techno

Post by techno »

woodsmith wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:35 am Anyone every tried spraying in a bunch of hairspay and igniting it?
Seen it attempted on YouTube. Didn't work.
Squirrelking

Post by Squirrelking »

I have a 9l CO2 extinguisher converted with a schraeder valve where the busting disc was and a proper (garage type) clip on schraeder head on the end of the hose. I only pump it to 40psi and it seats tyres no bother. As said you want volume, not pressure.

Think about it, the head goes over the valve therefore the valve stem is the most restricted point, I doubt there is any head in existence more restricted than a presta stem.