wtd: left hand (front) double/triple friction thumb shifter

Buy, sell, swap.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

directdrive

wtd: left hand (front) double/triple friction thumb shifter

Post by directdrive »

Anybody got one lying about before I buy new? Sunrace M96, Microshift SL, Dura Ace, or even old school Deore/XT thumbies? (Wish I hadn't sold my pair of those).

Just want a friction thumbie for my 2x10 setup.
Dyffers

Re: wtd: left hand (front) double/triple friction thumb shifter

Post by Dyffers »

I have a spare pair of bar end shifters, 8 or 9 speed but that doesn't matter for the left side front mech shifter.

They're not in perfect condition and I'm only ever likely to use the RH one in the future so you could have the LH one for a tenner? PM if interested.

Remember, you will need an adaptor to run a bar end shifter as a thumbie (which I also used to have but sold them years ago).
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

Dyffers wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:32 pm I have a spare pair of bar end shifters, 8 or 9 speed but that doesn't matter for the left side front mech shifter.

They're not in perfect condition and I'm only ever likely to use the RH one in the future so you could have the LH one for a tenner? PM if interested.

Remember, you will need an adaptor to run a bar end shifter as a thumbie (which I also used to have but sold them years ago).
Appreciated, that would work nicely but the mounts themselves are pricier than buying a new oven-ready thumb shifter, so I'll probably pass on that one. Cheers though.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

directdrive wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:39 pm Appreciated, that would work nicely but the mounts themselves are pricier than buying a new oven-ready thumb shifter, so I'll probably pass on that one. Cheers though.
Absolutely, understand the mounts are pricey, but you mentioned Dura Ace which to my knowledge were only bar end not thumbies so thought you might have something.

Good luck with the search.
Joe

Post by Joe »

I've got a set of old school Deore thumbies, think they were 7speed? I think the right hand indexing was a bit gritty but the left hand was okay. I'll dig them out of the spares box and let you know if you're interested?
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

Joe wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:57 pm I've got a set of old school Deore thumbies, think they were 7speed? I think the right hand indexing was a bit gritty but the left hand was okay. I'll dig them out of the spares box and let you know if you're interested?
That'd be ideal actually, I love those things. Only really need the LH, but if you really want to sell them as a pair I'm happy to fix up the RH as well.

Alternatively if you have the time and inclination there's a good guide here on how to strip and rebuild them: https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/shi ... de.231167/

A bit fiddly but I've done it before and it worked nicely, a good evening project.

Let me know anyway.
Joe

Post by Joe »

No problem, I'll find them this evening and get back to you.
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

Cheers!
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

This is why I love this place.
I'm just going outside ...
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

I've a pair of Microshift thumbies if needed?
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

Teetosugars wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:52 pm I've a pair of Microshift thumbies if needed?
Cheers, only really need the LH though. Think I'm sorted as it stands, will PM you if it doesn't work out.