Stellar Entry List at Badlands 2021

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pistonbroke

Stellar Entry List at Badlands 2021

Post by pistonbroke »

Starts tomorrow with entries including Sofiane Sohelli, Ulrich Bartholmos, (who beat him in the TransPyrenees) ex TdF pro Christian Meier who got sunstroke last year, and big surprise triathlon god Alister Brownlee. Seems many are still thinking it's a gravel race with drop bars and narrow tyres, might be worth setting up a stall selling tyres and tubes on some sections. Hope the organisation has taken a step up from last year and they've booked the whole week off work rather than just Monday and Tuesday.
ssnowman

Re: Stellar Entry List at Badlands 2021

Post by ssnowman »

pistonbroke wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:40 pm Starts tomorrow with entries including Sofiane Sohelli, Ulrich Bartholmos, (who beat him in the TransPyrenees) ex TdF pro Christian Meier who got sunstroke last year, and big surprise triathlon god Alister Brownlee. Seems many are still thinking it's a gravel race with drop bars and narrow tyres, might be worth setting up a stall selling tyres and tubes on some sections. Hope the organisation has taken a step up from last year and they've booked the whole week off work rather than just Monday and Tuesday.
Looking at the rigs of feature on bikepacking.com, it’s surprising how few mtb’s there are. Some of the gearing on the bikes is very high.
May satan walk with you
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I wrote a report on my experience in last year's event which I did on mountain bike. No way would I have changed my mind if I'd done it this year. Says something when James Hayden rode the first section the day before, put his gravel bike back in his van and used a hardtail with front suspension.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Just been dotwatching, seems the course has changed massively from last year. The early loop through the Gorafe desert has increased from about 30km to over 100 and the ascent to 3,200m of Pico Valeta which was a massive sting in the tail is completely missing with the finish a long way south of Granada in the Alpujarra valley. I wonder if the powers that be have banned the race going through a protected area, the finish being about 100km from the start must be a logistical problem with finishers well strung out. Strange that the Valeta ascent still appears in the publicity for the event, may have been last minute.
Ex road pro Mattia de Marchi is currently leading on 275km with Sofiane Sohili 10th and Alaister Brownlee 13th
substandard

Post by substandard »

Be interesting to see how Jared linden gets on, he’s a dab hand on an mtb and a cx bike.

Loads of big names to watch too
ChrisE

Post by ChrisE »

Al Brownlee was interested in the Dales Divide 2021 being v Yorkshire and all that. I think it was far too near to Olympics time. Fair play to him having a go and especially because he didn't splash it all over the press.
Linkpin

Post by Linkpin »

Mattia De Marchi has an enormous lead! I cannot fathom how he's able to cover so much distance on that terrain in this space of time...
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Mattia De Marchi finished about 2 hours ago, 750km in 45 hours. Impressive ride even without the climb over Pico Valeta. Guess they've got that pleasure to come to get themselves back to Granada. Alaister Brownlee still riding in 7th with 12km to go, Sofiane Sohili 5th.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

First 3 have now finished but the race for 4,5 and 6th is close with Sofiane Sehili, Justinas Leveika and Alistair Brownlee all within 10km.
Brownlee should be the fresher, having had 14 hours of stopped time compared to Sehili's 2 hours.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'd still love to do this one day, but I'd definitely need to improve my ability to deal with heat.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

It's a land of contrasts, even in 1 day. Last year I saw 40° on a village farmacia sign but when I set out at 4am on the final big climb of Pico Valeta which topped out at 3,200m, I was wearing vest, armwarmers, shirt and R@pha insulated gilet. These stayed on until well down the other side.
Looks like Sehili has pulled out a lead on the other 2, only 10km to go now, Brownlee 18km behind.