My quilt has sprung an internal leak.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

frogatthefarriers

My quilt has sprung an internal leak.

Post by frogatthefarriers »

As per title, the down in my UK Hammocks quilt has migrated between the internal dividers. It hasn’t lost any down, but lots of it has moved internally from the top/shoulder end into the foot box. This will be a problem in the cold months. I can feel that the divider has parted from the top or bottom skins - probably caused by over-enthusiastic stuffing into dry bags.

What is the collective wisdom? Is there somewhere that can repair it? I don’t think UK Hammocks is still in existence, so they’re not an option. I could maybe get some more down put in while I was at it. Or should I bite the bullet and get a new one?
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
The Cumbrian

Re: My quilt has sprung an internal leak.

Post by The Cumbrian »

I can't help with the sewing part of the question (replacing a button is about my technical limit), but I'm sure that you'd be able to have the down in your current quilt reused in your next.

On a related subject, how do you find your UK Hammocks quilt for ground sleeping? Mine's great in the hammock, but I it's a bit narrow for me for ground use.

Cheers, Michael.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
frogatthefarriers

The Cumbrian wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:50 am
On a related subject, how do you find your UK Hammocks quilt for ground sleeping? Mine's great in the hammock, but I it's a bit narrow for me for ground use.

Cheers, Michael.
I’m 175cm x 82kg and I have no problems sleeping on the ground temperature-wise on a neoair mat. If I think it’s going to be cold, I go to bed in layers and remove them if I get too hot. Easier to cool down than to get warm when the cold has woken me up, I find.
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

[/quote]

I’m 175cm x 82kg and I have no problems sleeping on the ground temperature-wise on a neoair mat. If I think it’s going to be cold, I go to bed in layers and remove them if I get too hot. Easier to cool down than to get warm when the cold has woken me up, I find.
[/quote]

Ah, it would appear that my volume is the issue here; I'm a little taller than you, but about 20kg heavier.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:45 pm As per title, the down in my UK Hammocks quilt has migrated between the internal dividers. It hasn’t lost any down, but lots of it has moved internally from the top/shoulder end into the foot box. This will be a problem in the cold months. I can feel that the divider has parted from the top or bottom skins - probably caused by over-enthusiastic stuffing into dry bags.

What is the collective wisdom? Is there somewhere that can repair it? I don’t think UK Hammocks is still in existence, so they’re not an option. I could maybe get some more down put in while I was at it. Or should I bite the bullet and get a new one?
down is awkward stuff to handle.
I take it the external seam is intack, so the intnal baffle has torn orfrayed andpulled away from the seam.
I have patched worn stuff. but not repaired baffles. you could try PhD. or may be there is still a sleeping bag services company still going.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Alpkit repair other brands, maybe worth pinging them a message

https://alpkit.com/pages/repair-station
frogatthefarriers

ledburner wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:56 am down is awkward stuff to handle.
I take it the external seam is intack, so the intnal baffle has torn orfrayed andpulled away from the seam.
I have patched worn stuff. but not repaired baffles. you could try PhD. or may be there is still a sleeping bag services company still going.
Yes, the external seam is ok. To look at it, you couldn’t tell there was anything wrong, but hold it up to the light you can see that there’s much less down in the critical sections. I suspect it’ll be a big job to repair - the thing’ll have to be pulled apart to find the fault, never mind fix it. :|

Thanks for the suggestions chaps. I’ll be giving them a bell. :-bd
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Mat no longer runs / owns UKH AFAIK.

There was someone who seemed to have bought the business and was continuing to make at least some of the hammocks etc. However, last time I saw their www they'd stopped manufacturing, impression was it was temporary but precious little real info. Anyone that dealt with UKH when they were less than stellar would likely be very sceptical.

I have a summer TQ, full and 3/4 UQ, all from UKH. I find the TQ fine on ground or hang and I'm average height, broad and hefty. IMO Mat usually overstuffed his down gear compared to listed weights but the amount of down in each baffle seems a bit variable.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Although baffled, I wonder whether the simplest solution would be to put the down back into position and then get someone to stitch across the damaged section turning that part into stitch-through. Shouldn't overly effect how warm it is but will make it serviceable.

Some Enlightened quilts actually had open baffles so that you could shift the down to where you wanted it. Once in place, it'd pretty much stop there okay.
May the bridges you burn light your way
frogatthefarriers

frogatthefarriers wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:45 pm Or should I bite the bullet and get a new one?
Oh soddit - I’ll just get a new one. I’ve been looking at the Cumulus 350. (Sorry Stu, I don’t want a sleeping bag). How does it work when buying from Poland? I presume there’d be duty to pay and carriage, of course, but will there be anything else?

Or is there another I should be looking at?

Oh dear, I’ve just noticed that they don’t ship to uk. Now what?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Try OutdoorLine Lu. 350 is out of stock but there's plenty of choice. I believe they'll ship to the UK if it's worth their while.

https://www.outdoorline.sk/en/quilts
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:05 am
frogatthefarriers wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:45 pm Or should I bite the bullet and get a new one?
Oh soddit - I’ll just get a new one. I’ve been looking at the Cumulus 350. (Sorry Stu, I don’t want a sleeping bag). How does it work when buying from Poland? I presume there’d be duty to pay and carriage, of course, but will there be anything else?

Or is there another I should be looking at?

Oh dear, I’ve just noticed that they don’t ship to uk. Now what?
Item + carriage + duty + VAT on all that lot.

A lot of companies no longer ship to the UK as they are now required to handle the VAT on behalf of HMRC. It costs them to register for this as well so unless their UK sales are big enough to cover the registration fee and the handling costs then it's likely that they won't bother.

I've used OutdoorLine before (but before brexit)
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
frogatthefarriers

I Found one! Cumulus 350 from Pannier.cc. :-bd £243 including VAT & postage. Roll on September BaM.